Strange noise....blow off valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noise....blow off valve?

For the past couple weeks, I have been hearing a faint clunking or popping noise from my 2011 EB. Seems llike it happens when I let off the gas peddle when it is shifting gears. Sometimes when it shifts gears and I don't let off the pedal as well, but mostly when I do. The dealer told me it is normal and is a blow off valve relieving pressure. Does this sound right? thanks!!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds about right. Mine does the same thing. Nothing to worry about.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recirculating dump valve apparently. (Dumps back into the intake)

Fit an atmospheric valve and it should Wooooooooooosh!!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Thank you! Do you know why I would just start hearing it now after owning the truck for 2 years? At first I thought it sounded like a drivetrain issue as I could feel it in the peddle a little when it occurred. Thanks again....

Old 02-09-2013, 01:41 PM
thats not a boost/recirc valve issue ive ever heard of. ive been around forced induction motors for years now and you never feel a recirc valve in the gas pedal, and two you dont hear them, especially on automatics because you never take your foot off the gas when it shifts, the butterflys will never close, and the recirc value wont come into play. unless the ecoboost is the first motor in the world to do these things and im unaware, id probably take it to another dealer because you really shouldnt be hearing a clunk or feeling it in the gas pedal, especially if its a new issue. just my .02

Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Actually... The Ecoboost does close the throttle body blade on shifts. Of course it's not when you're just cruising around, but when you're in the gas pretty hard. It closes the blade during shifts in conjunction with the torque management for transmission saving purposes. That's one of the things the tuners tune out a lil. So the the blade doesn't close near as much between shifts.

Just for trivia, the Mark III Supras done this too on the automatic cars.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will have another dealer check it out for the hell of it. It is occurring quite a bit now and just doesn't seem right to me. It's not when I'm on the gas hard. Could be at 30mph or 50mph, doesn't matter. Sounds llike a faint couple clunks or hollow sounding rattle.

Probably just a coincidence, but it has only happened after getting the oil changed and tires rotated.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by WAY BAD
Actually... The Ecoboost does close the throttle body blade on shifts. Of course it's not when you're just cruising around, but when you're in the gas pretty hard. It closes the blade during shifts in conjunction with the torque management for transmission saving purposes. That's one of the things the tuners tune out a lil. So the the blade doesn't close near as much between shifts.

Just for trivia, the Mark III Supras done this too on the automatic cars.

Originally Posted by TJackson
Thanks for the replies. I think I will have another dealer check it out for the hell of it. It is occurring quite a bit now and just doesn't seem right to me. It's not when I'm on the gas hard. Could be at 30mph or 50mph, doesn't matter. Sounds llike a faint couple clunks or hollow sounding rattle.

Probably just a coincidence, but it has only happened after getting the oil changed and tires rotated.
i did not know that the eb does that. but since op chimmed in and says its happening when hes not really into the gas hard, its still something i would definitely have looked at by another dealer. no recirc valve should ever make a clunk or rattling sound, so im guessing the issue is elsewhere.

make sure to come back and let us know what the other dealer says

Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM
^^^ I agree!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Will do. It's going in Thursday. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
You know I was just thinking...

If this just started after an oil change, I would check to make sure those guys put your air box lid back on correctly, and put your air filter back in. If either one of these is not right or missing, it would cause you to be able to hear the air track a lot easier. Meaning your intake noise would be a lot louder. Just something to check...

Old 02-12-2013, 12:22 PM
You are a genius....that was it. After I read your last post I checked it out. They never closed the air box. I latched it down, took it for a ride, and no noise. Unbelievable. I had it at the dealer twice for the noise. I will make sure they know for the future. I'm glad that was all it was though. Thanks again!!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Awesome man! I'm glad I could help out. I would be raising some cane at the oil change place!! That could have cuased BAD results!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
yes, the same dealer changed the oil! haha...too funny

Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Darn, I was getting excited that someone may be having the same issue I am. I'll keep scouring. Sorry for pulling up an old thread.

Edit: April 16. WAY BAD is way smart. I got my truck back, popped the hood and had a look... Air box lid was not latched down. I had the truck in multiple times for this noise. Long story short, been 2500km since I latched it down and the sound/vibration is gone.

Makes me feel like a dummy, but that just isn't something I have ever thought to look at when checking the oil.

Thanks,

Last edited by NorthernAB; 04-16-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Strange noise....blow off valve?