Stripped 2 cylinder spark plug threads!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripped 2 cylinder spark plug threads!

Good Morning from Texas. I bought the save-a-thread kit and rethreaded cylinder one and three on my ford f150 2002 4.2 except I rethreaded the holes at a slight angle preventing the spark plugs to fit all the way in being that the nut part if you will of the spark plug hits the cylinder head. This was preventing the spark plug to sit in all the way. I installed non-foulers to be able to at least sit the spark plugs with a flush fit. Now the problem is that the spark plug one and three are throwing codes PO301 and PO303 along with PO316 sometimes I will get PO300. I installed motorcraft spark plugs sp447 (copper) gapped at .045,new spark plug wires (motorcraft) and bwd coil pack. Idle is a little rough but once i get past idling it is smooth. Now I also have pinging on the two spark plugs one and three. I have put 93 octane gas and still pinging exists not too bad but still exists. Is there a way the two cylinder wells can be fixed without taking the heads off. I have heard of time-serts and they probably would be oversized with of course over-sized sparkplugs. Please help me with any ideas of how I can repair this engine. Thank you in advance.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You might have already sealed the deal and new head might be in order....contact a member by the name of Galaxy....he's got good knowledge when it comes to the time sert kits....

Edit....here's his member profile>>> https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...13-galaxy.html

Last edited by 88racing; 12-19-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Yep. Contact Galaxy. He can give you expert advice and rent the kit to you. The oversized Timesert may do the trick.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive installed many timeserts and its fairly easy. You use the tap that automatically opens the plug hole and threads it at the same time. Then unplug the coil and injector on that cylinder and start the truck for a second (this will blow out the aluminium bits) then you use the thread insert tool to screw in the new thread. You put red loctite on the threads before insertion. After its threaded in you use the punch tool and a hammer that opens the jagged edge so it helps the thread stay in the aluminium. Let the loctite sit overnight and dont go crazy installing your plus the next day.

Quick Reply: Stripped 2 cylinder spark plug threads!