2012 F150 EcoBoost Remote Setup for oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F150 EcoBoost Remote Setup for oil filter

Can anyone tell me if there is a remote setup for the oil filter for the 2012 F150 EcoBoost and if so where can I purchase it? How is it installed and will it void the warranty?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm sure they are made (outside of doing a general part selection order specific to your needs) and someone will chim in with the info, but............

With any remote system (in regards to the principle oil filter), there is always a delay when the engine fires until oil flows due to the length of hose to the remote location. In general, every mfg recommends a max length of 3' but, I have a concern (and have run duel remote filters on my non-turbo vehicles prior) about even non-turbo engines but with a turbo, even slight delays of oil delivery can have negative consequences on many internal engine components. Personally, I would not do this.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Thank you for your input! Because this is a turbo the OEM filter has a check valve which allows the turbo bearings to get oil right away on start up so quite possible having a remote filter would prevent the oil from getting to the turbo bearings right away. Good point!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Out of curiosity, why would you want a remote setup? Ease of access?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Because it is very difficult to get to the filter and the oil drips into the trough which makes a mess and it hangs up in that trough. Ford was definitely not thinking about the consumer to trys to maintain their own vehicle with this design.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Fred Spicer
Because it is very difficult to get to the filter and the oil drips into the trough which makes a mess and it hangs up in that trough. Ford was definitely not thinking about the consumer to trys to maintain their own vehicle with this design.
I think Ford did it so people go to them to have their oil changed. It does make a mess and more time consuming, but still do it myself though.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 EcoBoost Remote Setup for oil filter