Ecoboost fail........

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost fail........

Happy Thanksgiving to all.......

I hate to beat a with another ecoboost rant thread but this is crazy.
My truck has been at the dealership for 2 and 1/2 weeks waiting on the backordered charge air cooler, I finally got fed up with it called my dealership asked for ford's customer relation number called them myself. The next day a rep called me back and said my part would ship Monday(This was on a Friday) I thought cool, Tuesday rolls around and my part comes in, dealership says it would be ready by the end of the week. Next day(yesterday) dealership calls and tell's me It's ready.....You have no idea how stoked i was to go get my truck after driving a loaner taurus and flex for 2 and 1/2 weeks. Today(Thursday) I decide to go out and test the truck to see if I can duplicate any issues I previously had. See if ford's major repair would fix this issue. My main issue was during heavy acceleration or WOT the engine would not shift up to the next gear and would at times shake violently. The reason it went into the shop was due to this as the check engine light also came on. During my test today I hit it WOT onto the interstate and BAM. Shake, Shutter.....Check engine light. I have owned 5 F-150's.........And I've never been so disappointed with a Ford product. If I can work out a deal I may try to trade for the same truck but with a 5.0 in it. Otherwise I may have to part ways with Ford...... majorly frustrating

Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 PM
I know how you feel, after Ford Engineering from Dearborn came out to look at my 06 5.4L 3V and didn't know how to fix it (VCT issue) I feel the same way. Going to trade it in with 1 year left on the warranty. Was excited to hear about the EcoBoost but I am seriously thinking of getting something other than Ford.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What year and how many miles? Luckily I havent had any issues with mine. Usually I'm the one that gets lemon. Maybe its my turn for good luck. I know there are tons of people having good luck with them as well as a few having trouble. I absolutely hate dealing with a dealer on an issue. Hang in there. Something has to fix it.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If and when I upgrade I think a 6.2 is much next motor.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 PM
2011 with only 11,000 miles on it. For the most part during the summer if it's nice I ride my motorcycle so I kept the mileage low. This was Ford's recent TSB fix for the issue I was having. The fact that in less than 80miles it went right back to doing what it did before is a major concern.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Mine has never had any kind of issue nor the 3 others at my work. Hope they get it right for you.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
where are all the ecoboost leg humpers now???

I'm not seeing any issues like this with the 5.0 equipped trucks

Old 11-23-2012, 03:14 AM
^^ ummm, ok??

Old 11-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EcoBoost leg humper here............It isn't the vehicle, or even the engine choice, You have chosen some pretty untalented technicians. Call Ford directly and CALMLY explain your problem. Lets see, 500,000 EcoBoost engines sold in the last few years and already the 5.0 pinheads are starting................... The EcoBoost is a great engine, Just take the time to get your particular problem solved.................

Old 11-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have seen your repetitive problem with LP injection engines. 1. lean condition from fuel regulator. 2. head gasket leaking water into the cylinders creating combustion problems with the valve damage. U see the fuel system is atmospheric psi and temp. calibrated, the diaphrams get old and hard, the seats worn and it cuts off the fuel flow gradually over some hours of running. The system on the EB is also atmospheric and temp calibrated. Odds are the fuel regulator is KaButz. The fuel pump delivers aprox 60 psi to the HP pump which then deliveres HP fuel of low volumn to the only fuel filter. A lifetime filter after both pumps but before the fuel regulator. The ones that run bad during mid day in good weather are internally/electronically Fuxxxxxd up. Ford needs to take these back and tear them down, giving you a new unit at cost - good value of your rig. Never will though. Just me, Author takes no responsibility of others thoughts.

Last edited by papa tiger; 11-23-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I was over at my local dealer the other day shooting the breeze with one of the service writers. He said that they had a 1.6 EB in an Escape in the back that they can't figure out what's wrong with it. He's not too keen on the whole Ecoboost technology. He also said that the most reliable new F-150 engine in their experience is the base 3.7 V-6. What does he personally own? A F-250 6.0 diesel that he's had to do a lot of work on.

All you EB and 5.0 humpers seem to forget that there is a 3.7, which has more power than the old 4.6. The only reason IN MY OPINION to get anything bigger than the 3.7 is to tow heavy. Doesn't sound like a V-8? So what.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
where are all the ecoboost leg humpers now???

I'm not seeing any issues like this with the 5.0 equipped trucks
I've seen a few issues with the 5.0 but not the intercooler condensation issue.
FWIW, I've had my EB for over 1.5 years and haven't had any issues with it.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:47 PM
If you go on the 5.0 engine forums there are a few people having problems too.. It has been almost 1 1/2 yrs with my ecoboost and absolutely no problems"knock on wood". So if you want to consider me a ecoboost leg humper thats fine. All I know is the 5.0 isn't up for the task of what my ecoboost has to perform for me. Every engine is built for a specific application. If I wanted a sweet sounding, high revving 5.0 V8 I would buy a mustang with a manual 6sp!!!!!
P.S. - To the OP i hope you get your problem resolved quickly!!

Last edited by Kevin O.; 11-23-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Went to the dealership today, In the process of trying to see if i can get a 2012 exactly like mine but with a 5.0 in it. will get more info tomorrow.......I dearly love my ecoboost, But this has everyone scratching their head and I'm not shelling out $630 a month to drive a taurus. Even with ford's newest updates and parts it still broke down in less than a day. I think the ecoboost is an awesome powerhouse. But apparently my particular vehicle's motor has some issues.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 AM
No problems at all with my EC, 17K on it and a 2012. Wish ya the best with it, but if I had your issues...I'd look for more power, not less..and go with a 6.2.

Last edited by ryanwagner78; 11-24-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost fail........