Another oil question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Another oil question

Ok. I have searched through here and found multiple posts about oil for the Ecoboost. A lot of the post got off topic though. My question is this......What grade of oil do i need to use? I have had the dealer change the oil the first 2 times and now I'm going to do it myself. I did notice that when i got the last change, i looked at my paper work and the oil they put in didnt match what the manual stated to use. I think the manual said 10/30 and they put 5/30 or visa versa. Should i go with what the manual says or has there been a bulletin update?

I noticed where others were talking about the filter change. 500S. Got that. Just what grade of oil should i use? Staying with Motorcraft because i have always ran it in my Mustang. My dad has always ran it. And I just feel better in case something happens while under warranty. Plus I'm a Trevor Bayne fan (and Wood Bros too). Dont care for Tony Stewart so cant support him (Mobile 1) Sorry but that's my inner Nascar child talking. We tend to support who we like.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Use 5W30 Motorcraft semi-synthetic and change it at least every 5k.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The Ecoboost engines are beating up oil like no other engine out there. I would strongly suggest running no oil over 5000 miles regardless of what you pay for it or the advertising that says you can run a specific oil longer. This is what happens when you run engines close to critical a lot. Shearing in these engines has been extremely high as well as fuel dilution. Because of the fuel dilution you'll be seeing high oxidation with these engines. That's why you don't want to run one passed 5000 miles regardless of what the owners manual claims. I've seen far too many reports that the oil is toast at 3800 miles, running it longer requires no comment to anyone with any intelligence. The Motorcraft oils are good. Any dual rated or HDEO oil in 5w-30 is better. But since you are going to change the oil yourself, how about next to free for one time? G Oil is a synthetic ester based oil and they have recently changed the formulation. Before it was ho-hum at best but the newest formulation is one of the best on the market. Esters are more shear stable and the additive package being one of the more robust on the market makes this oil an outstanding value....especially since there is a 26 dollar rebate on it. Might give it a try, but....BUT, if your driving style means the truck sits a lot between startups, don't use it. Esters do not handle condensation well and there are much better choices out there for engines that sit a lot.
http://www.getg.com/campaigns/reques...cID=getg121002

Quick Reply: Another oil question