Motocraft Spark Plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motocraft Spark Plugs!

Hi all! I just recently got my hands on a 1999 4.2L F-150 XL
I had the afternoon off after classes today so I decided I would poke around to see what needed to be replaced. After looking it appears that I need a new power steering hose as it leaks. Would you guys recommend this one? The pump itself seems to be fine as the fluid is just all over the hose.. lol --

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1354575,parttype,7320,a,www.google.ca%2B Search%2Bfor%2B1999%2BFORD%2BF-150%2B4.2L%2BV6%2BOHV,ck[viewcurrency],USD,ck[idlist],0,ck[ID],0,ck[PHP_SESSION_ID],24fj38r11avltrt6mtmklub5t7

I have heard great things about rock auto but never bought anything so I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

The doors are fine as I did a bit of "broke" repair. Ground all the rust off and put some rubber undercoating on it and then painted with some meta-clad safety red. My truck is the "canary" red as ford calls it. I have some rust on the underside of the box so would you guys recommend doing the same thing? Or do you have a better idea as to what to do.

Lastly I took a peek at the spark plugs and wires... This is wild... The wires themself are from 1999 (stock) along with the plugs which are motocraft platinum. I took them out after spending a good 5 hours getting and replacing all the plugs. -- These are the factory plugs and wires. 155000 KM I love these things! I want to get another pair because of how damn durable they were. I have never personally heard of plugs going 50k past their due date and staying great. Unless I am mistaken of 100k miles then were just fine then. Please correct me if I am wrong!!! I put some NGK's in there but might try and get some motocrafts now. The truck surprisingly cranked beautifully and had no issues starting or anything. Gas milage was great etc..

I know some of you 99 4.2ers are still around here so is there any other decently easy things to spice up the truck in regards to gas milage, power etc. I do know it is a 4.2 and not a 7.2 f-350 diesel but I would like to try and get as much out of it as I can. I use it for fishing mostly along with just bush camping trips. (Here in Northwestern Ontario were all fishing bums lol)

Anyways, thanks guys! I look forward to the feedback. -- Below are some pics of the plugs... Surprised they are still firing? So was I.

EDIT: One last question... Any idea if there are any computer updates for this model? I have heard of the newer trucks getting PCM updates but not this one. I also have no idea where to check. Thanks again.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by philcamlin; 09-26-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 AM
I'd go with the rockauto parts. I've bought plenty of parts from them with no problems.

You may have lucked out on the plugs. The 4.2s are very picky when it comes to plugs. 99% of the time if the plugs are not Motorcraft, Autolite, or Denso Iridiuims the truck runs like crap, very rough idle even if gaped properly to 0.054". Never ever put Bosch plugs in the 4.2, I know from experience. The motor shook so hard I though it was gonna fall apart.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by 97XL
I'd go with the rockauto parts. I've bought plenty of parts from them with no problems.

You may have lucked out on the plugs. The 4.2s are very picky when it comes to plugs. 99% of the time if the plugs are not Motorcraft, Autolite, or Denso Iridiuims the truck runs like crap, very rough idle even if gaped properly to 0.054". Never ever put Bosch plugs in the 4.2, I know from experience. The motor shook so hard I though it was gonna fall apart.
Hmm... Maybe so. If the truck could run those plugs I am surprised it would be as picky as you say. I got some bosch wires off rockauto this morning, hopefully they work

In regards to the truck running it seems to be half decent. Gas milage is way up! These things will pay for themselves in a tank and a half. I was going 45 liters a week for about 100km back and fourth to college. That's just around 5 and a half MPG. It has been like that for some time now so it feels like I am driving a prius or something haha. Thank you for the input.

-Phil

Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
I got some bosch wires off rockauto this morning
For $2 more you could have (and SHOULD have) gotten a set of Motorcrafts.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 AM
I have Bosch O2 sensors and they work great, but if you do a search on spark plugs for the 4.2 you should find plenty of threads stating how picky the 4.2 is when it comes to plugs. Enjoy the extra mpg, means more money for beer.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
The reason Bosch O2's work well is Bosch makes Motorcraft sensors. Spark plugs are a whole different story - and I'm not sure about the quality of Bosch wires.

I *think* you should be okay with those NGK plugs - they do work okay in the V8's.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by glc
For $2 more you could have (and SHOULD have) gotten a set of Motorcrafts.
Will there be much of a difference? In hindsight I really should have gone with motocraft as I now know it is ford stock. (rookie mistake) Live and learn... I hope there wont be any issues. All my other parts will be now from motocraft! Those damn plugs lasted way longer than they should have... Any idea as to why they would keep going way past their lifespan and not even misfire and nevertheless throw an engine code? The gap was HUGE! A lot more than .54 lol

Cheers!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by philcamlin
Any idea as to why they would keep going way past their lifespan and not even misfire and nevertheless throw an engine code? The gap was HUGE! A lot more than .54 lol
Got lucky I guess. The gap is 0.054" not 0.54" trust me thats a big difference.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 97XL
I have Bosch O2 sensors and they work great, but if you do a search on spark plugs for the 4.2 you should find plenty of threads stating how picky the 4.2 is when it comes to plugs. Enjoy the extra mpg, means more money for beer.
Bosch O2 sensors are what came from the factory.

Originally Posted by philcamlin
Will there be much of a difference? In hindsight I really should have gone with motocraft as I now know it is ford stock. (rookie mistake) Live and learn... I hope there wont be any issues. All my other parts will be now from motocraft! Those damn plugs lasted way longer than they should have... Any idea as to why they would keep going way past their lifespan and not even misfire and nevertheless throw an engine code? The gap was HUGE! A lot more than .54 lol

Cheers!
I can't believe it didnt miss. My spark plugs are going on 100K, and the coil and wires are on the stock 280K miles. I'm sure my plugs are gapped to hell, I get misfires all over the damn place. I'm about to buy some more here in the next week or so when I get a paycheck.

But yes these engines are picky. They love Motorcraft SP-504 Platniums.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Bosch O2 sensors are what came from the factory.

I can't believe it didnt miss. My spark plugs are going on 100K, and the coil and wires are on the stock 280K miles. I'm sure my plugs are gapped to hell, I get misfires all over the damn place. I'm about to buy some more here in the next week or so when I get a paycheck.

But yes these engines are picky. They love Motorcraft SP-504 Platniums.
I just replaced my 1999 wires with new bosch ones. Still runs ok. Had a bit of a scare with some smoke coming out of the engine but that was from the liquid wrench burning off the exhaust pipe. Runs better than it ever has before... I have never had a check engine light or any issues at all with the truck. I am going to do the fuel filter as it has never been done.

When I mean this truck is bone stock, it really is! (Knock on wood)

Would you recommend doing the router soon? AKA coil pack or whatever. I have heard too many names for it. I just hit 155km last week.

Thank you for your input again! I just love this truck to pieces

EDIT---

Here's the plugs I have -- Apparently they work fine also besides motocraft since my 4.2 seems to purr.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...68_ViewDetails

Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Don't worry about the coil packs they last a long time. Basic tune-up oil, air filter, clean maf, tranny fluid, coolant flush, and maybe new diff oil and call it a day.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have always been pleased with NGK and Denso products.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by ParnAZ
Don't worry about the coil packs they last a long time. Basic tune-up oil, air filter, clean maf, tranny fluid, coolant flush, and maybe new diff oil and call it a day.
sweet will do!

thanks

Quick Reply: Motocraft Spark Plugs!