Noise under hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise under hood

Wondering if anyone has had the same issue. On my 2011 Ecoboost, sometimes when I start it when its cold there is a noise coming from under the hood for about 5 seconds then stops and everything seems fine. Kind of sounds like something in the fan, but after I listened to it, it sounds like it is coming from the air box. Opened the box and seems normal. ???

Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 PM
What does it sound like?

Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 PM
At first it sounded like something was caught in the fan, but then I lifted the hood and started it when it was cold and sounds like its from the air box. Only does it when its cold for about five seconds.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Hmmmm.... I got no idea. Take it to a dealer.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 PM
If anyone else has the same issue....I took it to dealer, ended up being a faulty brake vacuum pump. Easy replacement.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
tjackson, were you able to get this pump covered under warranty? I am having the same issue right now.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 PM
I have same problem its common on the 11' and 12's from what the dealer said im waiting for part currently(been 3 weeks) the 13's have it in a different location to keep water from getting it.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM
oh and yes warranty covers it.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Hello all,

I have an 11' F150 with ecoboost with supercrew cab. I had the noise in the lower left section under the hood begin about two weeks ago. They replaced the entire EPAS and steering column as the suspected it was that. The noise continued but it was difficult to replicate often. I noticed that you have to do the following to replicate noise:
1. shut vehicle off
2. leave standing for a few seconds
3. start vehicle
4. place in gear (reverse or forward) makes no difference
5. let vehicle move under its own force (like when in idle / drive)
6. move steering left or keep straight - does it either way but mainly when turning left
7. if noise is not present - turn off vehicle after placing in park - repeat steps 2-6 until noise is present.

NOTE: You might have to do so a few times until noise is present. More present when vehicle is cold but again doesnt matter. The same is not present while vehicle is under normal driving conditions.

Today they finally diagnosed it as being the Brake Vaccuum Pump also. Part will be in, in a few days and repair is under warranty. I am not sure why they dont perform a recall on this issue as it deals with the brake system???

Oh well just wanted to share so as to aid in others having same issue.

Good Luck
Frank

Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I am not sure why they dont perform a recall on this issue as it deals with the brake system???
It will never be a recall if it's just noise. Now, if the pump was failing, that would be a safety issue and possibly a subject for recall.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Noise under the hood

I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost and the warranty just went out on it. I have been hearing a similar noise that sounds like its coming from the fan near the front of the truck and I took it to a dealer in Lexington, KY and found out that it was the electronic vacuum pump. Unfortunately this particular part is not covered on the powertrain warranty either. The cost of the part is ~$500 and with labor will take it to ~$700. Phew that hurt. It was good to know that that was the source of the issue. Has anyone else had any different results?

Old 04-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chadanglin5
I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost and the warranty just went out on it. I have been hearing a similar noise that sounds like its coming from the fan near the front of the truck and I took it to a dealer in Lexington, KY and found out that it was the electronic vacuum pump. Unfortunately this particular part is not covered on the powertrain warranty either. The cost of the part is ~$500 and with labor will take it to ~$700. Phew that hurt. It was good to know that that was the source of the issue. Has anyone else had any different results?
chadanglin5,

Let me see how I can help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Ashley

Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by glc
It will never be a recall if it's just noise. Now, if the pump was failing, that would be a safety issue and possibly a subject for recall.
even if the vacuum pump failed, it would probably not be a recall situation. The vacuum pump is only there to supplement engine vacuum in certain conditions. Without the vacuum pump the brakes would still work, you would just have slightly less brake boost sometimes.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mkosu04
even if the vacuum pump failed, it would probably not be a recall situation. The vacuum pump is only there to supplement engine vacuum in certain conditions. Without the vacuum pump the brakes would still work, you would just have slightly less brake boost sometimes.
Yup, as glc stated, you still got brakes. No different than a faulty brake booster... You still got brakes, their just "old school" brakes where you need to use your body weight to stop, lol.

Now if it was hydraulic related and the pedal goes to the floor and your brakes don't work, then that's definite reason to recall.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:24 PM
The noise is a vacuum pump that sits behind the driver's side headlight. Easy fix. Get a new one from RockAuto or your local parts store for $200. I've heard the stock part from Ford is over $600.
Is it covered under warranty? Or will Ford claim it's an expendable part?

Quick Reply: Noise under hood