1991 300 I6 2wd EFI HELP!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah thats a good possibility, however this truck was missing like this for at least 10 years. and This truck hasnt had a leak for that long. This leak maybe has shown in the last 2 years at the most. I didn't notice it last year (I'm not saying it wasnt there, but I didnt notice it) and I know for a fact it wasnt there 3 years ago because when I changed the oil it was dry everywhere. I'm sure its a bad seal somewhere, I mean heck it was built in 1991, and I've abused this I6 for way to long. I have the tap for the IAC motor, and if this doesn't solve my issue i'm going to the EGR valve.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I'm saying your oil leak may be a rear main seal leak. Has nothing to do with how it runs.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Definatly not the IAC motor unless the motor is bad which I'm not sure how to tell if its no good. i'm going to move on to the EGR sensor and try to clean that. I notice that the mount of the EGR sensor the bolts onto the motor is super rusty. Is this common?

Old 08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Ok, I took the EGR valve off.. I need to go purchase a new gasket for it, luckily autozone has it in stock. I'm curious if i can tell how this thing might be bad? i mean its all black inside, I took some carb cleaner and got a lot of it out, but the mount that mounts the EGR valve to the intake is so rusty it's all corroded. I should probably remove that and try to wire brush it. However I notice what apprears to be a rod of some sort running through that mount. Should I take it off still or not?

Last edited by jgrimm; 08-02-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Ok I pushed the valve in and it wasnt sticking. I cleaned it out with carb cleaner and cue tips, replaced the paper thin gasket and put it back together. I started it and she took right off. Idled in high speed wonderfully, but as soon as she dropped to normal idle it missed a little. Not bad (maybe once every 4 or 5 seconds) which is way better than it was. It wouldnt even stay running before unless i sat in the truck and kept my foot on the gas. As soon as I put it in gear she choked out. Restarted her and put it in gear, and she almost choked out but caught herself and adjusted and kept running with a stronger miss. I have learned if you lightly pump the gas you can get her to move, but if you just push the pedal in she will choke out I got her out on the highway and gunned her. She's running 1000% better than she was. I can maintain speed without pumping the gas. She still has a miss once in a while. maybe 1 every 10-15 seconds, but I can handle that for now. I brought her home and put it park. Put it back in gear and she didnt choke out at all. When the truck is warm it runs almost perfect exception of a miss every 10 seconds or so. The problem is when i start it, put it in gear and I have to pump it to keep it running. My wife doesnt understand this and can never get it going, and i'm going to need her to drive it occasionally, so I have to fix that problems. All other problems are good enough to deal with for now. whats the next step?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:12 AM
1 more question... Would a water temp sensor make my truck miss? My temp guage hasnt worked in years, maybe as long as the truck has missed... you think that could be a cause?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 PM
What's your best advice on finding an intake leak? I can't find one and I really feel this is my problem......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 300 I6 2wd EFI HELP!!!