Limp Mode?? I am really starting to get angry! Dang eCo!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kelley350x
Both times I have taken the truck in to the service department I have given them a printed letter with all of my complaints, I wonder if this counts towards number 4, if so all that is left is for me to do is number 6
you have no third party involment to prove it (via postal service recept). did they sign or stamp the letters you gave them and return them to you? if not its your word against theres. so to ask if its admissible in a Cort of law i would say no.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
you have no third party involment to prove it (via postal service recept). did they sign or stamp the letters you gave them and return them to you? if not its your word against theres. so to ask if its admissible in a Cort of law i would say no.
I tend to agree with this.. Did anybody witness you do that?? Also, have you contacted Ford directly?

With all things legal, its not what you know, its what you can prove. What steps can you prove?

1 - does it have a defect and it is covered? A:Yes, always in limp mode is covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty.
2 - have you reported this? A:Maybe, you took it to the dealer. Do you have anything from any of the visits?
3 - did you provide them reasonable time/visits? A:Maybe? This is very open to opinion.
4 - did you provide written notice and opportunity to repair? A:Maybe, you took written notice last time you visited, but can you prove it?
5 - does the defect impair the vehicle? A:Hell Yes!
6 - Are you within filing period? Assuming some numbers...

Deliverly Date Jan 1 2012 w/ 10 miles and 36k/3y warranty
(a)warranty expires Jan 1 2015 + 6 months, so June 1 2015
(b)2 years after deliverly + 6 months, so June 1 2014
(c)24,000 miles + 6 months, so 6 months after 24,010 miles (try and prove this), this will assumed to be June 1 2014, unless you drive ALOT...

under that assumed info, you would need to file BEFORE June 1 2014

That leaves us with, can you prove you took it to the dealer? this should be simple. Can you prove written notice? sending a letter w/ return receipt is the easiest. can you prove reasonable number of attempts.. That one is open to some opinion. And lastly, are you within your filing period?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 PM
OHHH MY GOD!!!! My blood is boiling!!!!!

I just got of the phone with the ford rep. She states that all of my complaints are minor and do not hamper the use of the vehicle and the next TSB should fix them, with the exception of the trailer pulling issue, she says I should have picked a better motor for towing.... She said the ECO was designed for MPG and power, not towing... I asked her if she was freaking joking, then i told her I would call her right back from my office phone so I could record our conversation. I told her she needs to read the "Maximum Towing Capabilities" on the specs and see waht motor she would have picked... I just tried to call her from my land line and guess waht? she is not at her desk... yeah freaking right...

Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
ok she just called me back and started telling me how my truck has 3.15 gears and a 3.5 ltr, if i wanted to pull a trailer i should have went with the max tow or lower gears.... it is a freaking 6*12 single axle or a light duty 16' tandem axle trailer with a 44" cut cub cadet.

I am not pulling a d8 dozer...

she said this was related to the condensation issues and "should" be fixed when the update is released in 4-6 weeks. I asked her what I was supposed to do until then and she said it was a personal issue.. boy I am ticked off...

Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Loomdog32
I tend to agree with this.. Did anybody witness you do that?? Also, have you contacted Ford directly?

With all things legal, its not what you know, its what you can prove. What steps can you prove?

1 - does it have a defect and it is covered? A:Yes, always in limp mode is covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty.
2 - have you reported this? A:Maybe, you took it to the dealer. Do you have anything from any of the visits?
3 - did you provide them reasonable time/visits? A:Maybe? This is very open to opinion.
4 - did you provide written notice and opportunity to repair? A:Maybe, you took written notice last time you visited, but can you prove it?
5 - does the defect impair the vehicle? A:Hell Yes!
6 - Are you within filing period? Assuming some numbers...
1) to clarify, it is not always in limp mode, it just goes into it within a few miles of connecting a trailer.
2) yes, have a service receipt from both visits showing they know there is an issue.
3) I went ahead and picked it up today, I will take it back tomorrow so this will be the third time they have had it for the same issue.
4) yes and i think they prove that when they wrong all of the deatls on the service report.
5) I agree
6) yes I am , right now it is at about 32,000 miles. based on that I have put 3555 miles a month so 24k miles was only 2.5 months ago

Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 PM
I believe they are required to give you a rental/loaner per your warranty...

Sounds like it is time to file the complaint!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am leaving the truck at the dealership until the rep calls me back in a few days. I don't have time to be jacking with it..

It is not at the dealer where I bought it because they are over a 100 miles away, it is at the dealer where my company buys 10-12 trucks a year and where we get all of our service work done..
wow....your company buys 10-12 trucks a year from them and they wont fix yours or even help? sounds to me that you should wait a little while longer and then tell your company about this problem and then tell the dealership that you will be trying to get the company to go elsewhere with those 10-12 purchases. I would imagine that dealership wouldnt want to lose $200k in sales in a year....and i would file with BBB and call ford up to tell them about what this dealership is doing to see if they will come down on them..

Old 05-30-2012, 06:16 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
ok she just called me back and started telling me how my truck has 3.15 gears and a 3.5 ltr, if i wanted to pull a trailer i should have went with the max tow or lower gears.... it is a freaking 6*12 single axle or a light duty 16' tandem axle trailer with a 44" cut cub cadet.
That's a crock of BS - even that combo is certified to tow a lot more than you are trying to do.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Loomdog32
I believe they are required to give you a rental/loaner per your warranty...

Sounds like it is time to file the complaint!
they are saying the limp mode only comes on when I tow and my truck was not built for towing so they don't own me squat.

Originally Posted by timmypstyle
wow....your company buys 10-12 trucks a year from them and they wont fix yours or even help? sounds to me that you should wait a little while longer and then tell your company about this problem and then tell the dealership that you will be trying to get the company to go elsewhere with those 10-12 purchases. I would imagine that dealership wouldnt want to lose $200k in sales in a year....and i would file with BBB and call ford up to tell them about what this dealership is doing to see if they will come down on them..
I would agree 100% but This is coming directly from the regional manager for ford, not the dealer. The dealer has tried to help but had been unable to get any help from Ford... After talking to (and recording the call) from with the rep i now know what the dealership is facing, this is a goofy rep...

Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
they are saying the limp mode only comes on when I tow and my truck was not built for towing so they don't own me squat.
Again, BS!!!!!

I just did some research - a 2011 2wd F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 3.15 axle is rated to tow AT LEAST 8400#, and can be as high as 8800#, depending on cab and bed configuration.

If this is the regional rep telling you this, I think it's time to try to get Dearborn involved.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Again, BS!!!!!

I just did some research - a 2011 2wd F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 3.15 axle is rated to tow AT LEAST 8400#, and can be as high as 8800#, depending on cab and bed configuration.

If this is the regional rep telling you this, I think it's time to try to get Dearborn involved.
I agree 100%...

Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 AM
What a load of crap.."its not made for towing" wtf!!!! I wonder if this rep has even seen a Ford ad toe the EB. They brag about its towing and those torture test vids they made showed it doing some big *** towing.

My 97 has towed abut the same weight as the OP's truck is doing, and I did it with 3.08 gears and an open diff and had 0 issues.

This rep is either incompetent, or just an a$$.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by 97XL

This rep is either incompetent, or just an a$$.
Both

Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Again, BS!!!!!

Yup. The good thing is the law works both ways. Although they shouldn't have to go that route. They can force Ford to back their warranty, but the OP will have to go through some crap to get there. It's better than having a 45k truck that you can't use.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Something I would point out to the rep is the owner's manuel says you can tow up to XXXX lbs. The vehicle is a truck so it is reasonable to assume that it was built to tow (which is why you purchased the vehicle in the first place) and it would not be a very difficult case to make that the vehicle was designed and built to tow up to XXXX lbs to a court (Ford's own literature claims it can tow that much). If she continues to insist that the vehicle was not designed to tow that a false advertising case will be brought and Ford will be buying back the non-tow vehicle in addition to punitive damamges for misleading you with their false advertising, so you can purchase a vehicle that was designed to tow.

Quick Reply: Limp Mode?? I am really starting to get angry! Dang eCo!