Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V6 Engines (including Ecoboost)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 07-30-2001, 01:29 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Proper Oil Level 4.2L

Took my 2000 4.2L in for 1st service and supplied my own Mobil-1 synthetic. Brought 6 quarts of Mobil-1 per the manual including filter change. Dealer service advised to use 7 quarts of oil for a change including filter.

Can anyone comment on the correct oil quantity to use.

TIA - Richard
Old 07-30-2001, 01:59 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to f150freak Send a message via Yahoo to f150freak
The 4.2L V6 takes only 6 quarts of oil
Old 07-30-2001, 05:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
The owners manual states that 6 quarts of oil is necessary. But when I did my oil change with a new filter it did require 7 quarts of oil. The key is in the filter. If you don't change filter use 6 quarts, if you do change filter use 7 quarts. The dealer was correct.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:24 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Thumbs up Proper oil amount

The manual says 6 quarts and so does the ford service that I take my truck to for some of my servicing. I've used Mobil 1 synthetic oil for 2 years now; I do all of my own oil changes ,minus the ones done during more detailed maintence checks and can tell you, that even changing the filter with the oil change; The oil level on the dipstick is right in the middle between "min - max" using 6 quarts. So you be the judge. Hope this helps.
5 speed manual
3.55 limited slip

Performance:
Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow SI/SO
K&N airfilter

Accessories:
Class III hitch
Extang snap bedcover
Bedliner
Clifford alarm
Window tint

Last edited by sparks; 07-30-2001 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:47 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Ya thats kinda weird. I do all my own changes too, and with 7 quarts and a filter, it falls perfect on the dipstick. The first Time, I used 6, it barely registered on the dip stick. What I would do, is put in six, start it and let it run for a minute, then check the level. If its low then put one more in. I don't understand however, why my truck requires more oil than the other guys does? But mine takes 7 and no less.
Old 07-30-2001, 08:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Question

Wrong dipstick perhaps?
Old 07-30-2001, 08:54 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I've only changed the oil in my 2001 3 times so far, but each time it took 6 qts. of Mobil 1 5W30 with the filter (Motorcraft 400S)- no more -no less. I would not check the level right after running it - it a little time for the oil to run back down from the heads and block. Just my $0.02
Old 07-30-2001, 11:48 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
I can only speak from my experiences changing the oil in my truck, but I've got 74,000 miles on my truck and change the oil every 3,000 miles. The truck has always taken 6 quarts. I also use the Mobil 1 filter, with the Mobil 1 synthetic oil. And I'd avoid checking your levels after running the engine, just like F150Forever said, it takes time for the oil to drain back down and you'll get an inaccurate reading. As long as the level is showing up safely between the "min and max" I wouldn't really worry about it.
5 speed manual
3.55 limited slip

Performance:
Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow SI/SO
K&N airfilter

Accessories:
Class III hitch
Extang snap bedcover
Bedliner
Clifford alarm
Window tint
Old 07-31-2001, 12:01 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Sparks has a point, if its between the lines your ok. For the record, I ran my truck for a day before I made it back to pick up my 7th quart of oil from the store. So It ran for a day and was still low. Also, his service advisor is the one who recomended 7 quarts, so I'm not the only one who uses 7. Its not worth arguing about though, if everybody else uses 6 than you should too. Sorry I was just speaking from my own experience!

Good Luck
Old 07-31-2001, 07:26 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
Gentlemen:

A few other thoughts-

Correct dipstick?- it has happened, can you compare to a friends.

Dipstick fully inserted?

Dipstick guide tube fully inserted/installed correctly?

Oil checked on level ground?

Has an additional/external oil cooler been added?

XLT_D
Old 07-31-2001, 07:26 AM