Ecoboost Bullydog Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody had any issues on Waranty by installing a K&N Or Ingen (sp) INTAKE on the EB ? I too have never owned a STOCK vehicle but i am seriously thinkin bout keeping my EB fairly close to stock, it runs very good IMO for a stock truck. MP

Old 12-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Ford has gotten fed up with underwriting people monkeying with their product and the issues it can cause. How many people have change the pulleys on a Lightening ran a bad tune and popped the motor? How many Powerstrokes have gone boom because someone ran too much boost on the stock head bolts? The list goes on and on of ways people have abused the system. As a result they have cracked down on this abuse. It was dragging down their reliability numbers and adding a lot of cost to their warranty budget. To combat this the EB has an encrypted ECM and a counter on it too. A dealership can change the ECMs software to another factory tune no problem at all. They do not want people cranking up the power on the EB and tearing up driveline components. They have too much invested in this motor to let someone else tarnish their reputation.

I'm not anit-tuner in the least bit, so far this is the only F-150 I have owned that has not had the ECM tweaked. All of my other F-150s have had terrible shifts and bad throttle response in factory trim. However, this one is good enough from the factory that I really don't have a huge desire to mess with it. I do wish it was a little bit sharper on mid to full throttle upshifts but not enough to risk voiding my warranty.

I agree with everything except the shifting. I had a 6 speed in the 07 Sport Trac with the 4.6 V8. It was royal pain in the ***. The trans in this Eco Boost is light years ahead of that mess I had.

Other that when you are pulling 1.71HP per cubic inch out of an alum engine that you want to run 200K miles you don't need aftermarket tuner manuf's screwing with your work.

If you want to wring more juice out of it do it after you expect Ford to pick up the pieces.

I have tendency to think about it in marine terms. You take a naturally aspirated GM Detroit diesel 6V-71 it will run 15000hrs putting out 250hp... Let Johnson and Towers tune it with a bigger blower, aftercooled turbo and bigger injectors and pull 485hp out it, it will need rebuilt in 2000hrs..

Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I heard from the dealer I bought from, the dealer I get service, and online that you touch this truck you are done with the warranty. This engine is already close to its max performance I wouldnt mess with it.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 PM
The engine isn't maxed out, the PCM just has it cut back to save components. Check out this short vid I did, it shows throttle position, boost, etc. Throttle position never goes 100% & it cuts back early before each shift.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrhEgxQd7Qs

Old 12-10-2011, 04:03 PM
haha- at first I thought that exhaust sound was your ecoboost! I was like "I want mine to sound like that"...then I realized it was the car in the lane next to you.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Yes, that was a 12 second Mustang.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by wittom
This forum has been in opperation for more than a decade. There are thousands of people here who have modded thier trucks. Look at the percentage of denied warranty claims and/or mechanical failures. If you want to play it safe, that's your perogative. Some people don't leave thier house because they are afraid that something bad will happen to them if they step foot outside of it. Most people take the risk of leaving the protection of their house every single day.

I don't have an EB F150. I just have the base 3.7 but I purchased a flash tuner with a mild tune. I'm pleased. This tune merely removes many of the restrictions, retards and delays that the factory tuning contains. I've installed tunes on many of the vehicles I've owned without it ever causing a mechanical failure. I've also modded vehicles and then had work done under warranty, on unrelated componants.

Tuning and any form of modding, including changing your stereo, contains risk. Just use a little common sense and chances are you'll enjoy your vehicle many miles/years.
Oh, I've had tunes on naturally aspirated engines too. But turbo engines are a different thing entirely. Go on some other forums and see what has happened with turbo tunes. Check the diesel forums, stretched headbolts, blown gaskets, yadda, yadda. And tuners have a poor track record with the Taurus SHO as well. Check it out for yourself. Ford is not going to tolerate tuners and allow you to keep your drivetrain warranty.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 AM
If you think about it even if you get another 20hp or something whats that going to do. Its a truck, who cares. Isnt worth my warranty on a brand new 40k truck. And with that this engine just came out, its not like a 454 BBC where everybody knows the ins and out.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by nards444
If you think about it even if you get another 20hp or something whats that going to do. Its a truck, who cares. Isnt worth my warranty on a brand new 40k truck. And with that this engine just came out, its not like a 454 BBC where everybody knows the ins and out.
Exactly! Drag racing your truck is like beating your dog. If you want to race, get a Mustang.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by acadianabob
Exactly! Drag racing your truck is like beating your dog. If you want to race, get a Mustang.
I have found a lot of these things to be snake oil. Gain 8hp here, add 20 torque here. I fell into the trap on my 07 chevy I had. Did nothing noticeable. My take on it, is the factory would includes these things as options if they were so great. Ok so now you have an ecoboost with 385hp, wow, come race my camaro with 450hp once. You get vehicles to serve a purpose. a truck is not a hot rod, it's there to bring you to work, tow things, and throw **** into it, a sports car is a waste of money but its there to look cool and go fast. The two dont mix.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go over to the Supercharger section and say that

Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Oh yeah? How many bails of hay, or cords of wood are you going to haul in this one?

Your dog is not a machine. Trucks are durable machines, with solid platforms and often with strong drivetrains. They are often much cheaper than vehicles more commonly associated with drag racing. They are the perfect platform for thoes of us who cannot afford the sports or mucsle car to have some fun.

You might not want your truck to have good performance, but many do.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I know for sure, IF I had an ecoboost, a canned tune would not go anywhere near it...

Thats for damn sure.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I know when i get an ecoboost it will be tuned for sure.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

bring it, I can round up enough Ford, Dodge, and Chevy trucks that will smoke your lil' "race car" and then tow it back to your place with ease that these owners will be fighting eachother for the pleasure of showing you tail lights...

don't be writing checks with your mouth/keyboard that you can't cash

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Bullydog Tuner