Ecoboost Bullydog Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just going to wait and see what the Tuners have to say in another month when these programmers come out. I'm guessing that they work like most other programmers and just do away with the torque/power reduction at part throttle that Ford has worked into a lot of the new motors.
There's a lot of ways to make power without increasing boost right away.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
How do you figure they are cutting engine life nearly in HALF when they aren't even increasing the boost? You guys seriously need to do some turbo research. I've been building 1000+ hp turbo cars for years and tuning a car or truck that is turbocharged, does not reduce the longevity of a motor by nearly half. It just doesn't. As long as it is done correctly that is.

Two old clients of mine were both at SEMA and talked to Bullydog while they were there. I was on the phone with them telling them what questions I had and one of them was boost level. The rep(s) there quickly answered "13psi, no increase in boost at all." If you read their TruckTrend article about the SEMA truck they built, they also indicate a 13psi level in there as well. FastLane Turbo in Houston also tuned their truck with midpipe to the tune of a 90rwhp increase and also did it at 14psi, very little increase.

Those of us that have seen the boost levels on these trucks through the gears can see VERY quickly how much can be picked up in the midrange from just keeping that boost level consistent instead of fluctuating constantly. Just me personally, but I'd rather have turbos that are consistently making the same boost and not constantly being adjusted and changed.

Nothing against anyone here, but some of the claims being made in this thread are a little far fetched at best. No one here knows anywhere near enough about these motors to make the kinds of claims you are making. Time will tell and hopefully it tells good
Well said. I curious to see what the tuners do also but wont be getting one. Im still very happy with the power difference from my 2005 5.4 to my 2011 ecoboost.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Well said. I curious to see what the tuners do also but wont be getting one. Im still very happy with the power difference from my 2005 5.4 to my 2011 ecoboost.
I am also VERY curious about what the tuners will do and i also wonder what they will do for MPG?? But im with you, I wont be getting a tuner. I am very impressed with the Ecoboost in stock form. Especially when i am comparing it to my old 2007 F150 5.4L!!!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:19 PM
I just want one to adjust my speedo for tire size, the dealer told me they couldn't change it.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 PM
How about a graph of how long your motor will last, stock vs tuned? Or how long your warranty will last . . .

Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Leadsled124
And you know this because you personally have torn down an ecoboost motor or have seen the tuning perimeters? Do you even know what turbo or size injectors are in the ecoboost? Compression ratio? Piston design? Technically a warranty can be voided by putting bigger tires on a truck if the tranny fails and they want to be dics they can void. I didnt recall seeing anything about warranties in the thread title
Depends on the dealer.....

However

Once the truck ie red flagged in Oasis your warranty is gone nation wide....

Best advice is talk to your dealer before tuning it.....

Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianabob
How about a graph of how long your motor will last, stock vs tuned? Or how long your warranty will last . . .
I don't think its possible to graph how long your motor will last for any conditions. Everyone uses their truck differently, which affects its longevity.

A properly tuned motor should last just as long as a stock motor and your warranty will still the same. You only lose the warranty if the tuner causes something to go wrong and damage something else; which would have to be the motor or transmission. The dealer can't say your radio broke or your windows quit working because of the tuner.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by acadianabob
This forum has been in opperation for more than a decade. There are thousands of people here who have modded thier trucks. Look at the percentage of denied warranty claims and/or mechanical failures. If you want to play it safe, that's your perogative. Some people don't leave thier house because they are afraid that something bad will happen to them if they step foot outside of it. Most people take the risk of leaving the protection of their house every single day.

I don't have an EB F150. I just have the base 3.7 but I purchased a flash tuner with a mild tune. I'm pleased. This tune merely removes many of the restrictions, retards and delays that the factory tuning contains. I've installed tunes on many of the vehicles I've owned without it ever causing a mechanical failure. I've also modded vehicles and then had work done under warranty, on unrelated componants.

Tuning and any form of modding, including changing your stereo, contains risk. Just use a little common sense and chances are you'll enjoy your vehicle many miles/years.

Last edited by wittom; 11-23-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:19 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
The problem is - the dealers are under pressure from Ford to look for evidence of tunes and mods on the EB in particular and to void warranties. Dealers who have been looking the other way are starting to change their policy out of necessity.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by wittom
This forum has been in opperation for more than a decade. There are thousands of people here who have modded thier trucks. Look at the percentage of denied warranty claims and/or mechanical failures. If you want to play it safe, that's your perogative. Some people don't leave thier house because they are afraid that something bad will happen to them if they step foot outside of it. Most people take the risk of leaving the protection of their house every single day.

I don't have an EB F150. I just have the base 3.7 but I purchased a flash tuner with a mild tune. I'm pleased. This tune merely removes many of the restrictions, retards and delays that the factory tuning contains. I've installed tunes on many of the vehicles I've owned without it ever causing a mechanical failure. I've also modded vehicles and then had work done under warranty, on unrelated componants.

Tuning and any form of modding, including changing your stereo, contains risk. Just use a little common sense and chances are you'll enjoy your vehicle many miles/years.
So 100% true......perfectly said and couldn't agree more!

Old 11-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree with the part about the tune not damaging anything, it's abuse that does damage. However, the part about warranty, I disagree with. I put over 100,000 miles on my 2005 with a tuner with nothing but great results, but that was after the warranty expired. My dealer tells me point blank that if there is evidence of PCM tampering, the warranty on my new truck will be voided. So, I have to make the decision, is the improved tuning worth it to go without a warranty? It is definitly not worth it on this 5.0 as it performs great without any tuning. My 5.4 needed the tunes just to stay close to this 5.0.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:03 PM
the dealers are under pressure from Ford to look for evidence of tunes and mods on the EB in particular and to void warranties.
Though it was a limited production truck, the same applied to the Lightning. People who were happy with the stock power and/or didn't want to risk a warranty claim left the truck alone. Many took the risk and there were some pretty damn fast Lightings as a result. Premature failures too, that understandibly were not repaired under warranty.

The '04 Lighting that I purchased had several thousand dollars worth of mods done to it. I bought it that way and made sure that the dealer stood behind it. Unfortunately they didn't have any control of the MA RMV's inspection, or my wifes complaints.

My dealer tells me point blank that if there is evidence of PCM tampering, the warranty on my new truck will be voided.
I didn't think that the law allowed them to do such a thing. It's my understanding that warranty claims are handled on a case by case basis. Before installing the supercharger on my '98 I talked to my service advisor to see how they would handle the warranty if I did this mod. He said that we'd cross that bridge when we came to it. That truck was fixed twice under warranty, after the installation of the supercharger. The componants were not powertrain related.

The laws may have changed since I did the stuff to my previous trucks. I understand the position that the dealer service departments are in. If we mess with our trucks, it can end up costing them money. They are protecting themselves. We pay a lot of money for these trucks and should be able to make reasonable mods if we choose. There is risk. One risk is that we may end up having to pay for a very expensive repair. Another risk is that we may have to get a lawer to help us avoid being taken by a dealership who takes protecting their self interests too far.

The bottom line is, there is risk in modding. Especially with the EB. People really need to understand the position they are putting themselves in if they choose to mod thier truck.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...The bottom line is, there is risk in modding. Especially with the EB. People really need to understand the position they are putting themselves in if they choose to mod thier truck.
Ford has gotten fed up with underwriting people monkeying with their product and the issues it can cause. How many people have change the pulleys on a Lightening ran a bad tune and popped the motor? How many Powerstrokes have gone boom because someone ran too much boost on the stock head bolts? The list goes on and on of ways people have abused the system. As a result they have cracked down on this abuse. It was dragging down their reliability numbers and adding a lot of cost to their warranty budget. To combat this the EB has an encrypted ECM and a counter on it too. A dealership can change the ECMs software to another factory tune no problem at all. They do not want people cranking up the power on the EB and tearing up driveline components. They have too much invested in this motor to let someone else tarnish their reputation.

I'm not anit-tuner in the least bit, so far this is the only F-150 I have owned that has not had the ECM tweaked. All of my other F-150s have had terrible shifts and bad throttle response in factory trim. However, this one is good enough from the factory that I really don't have a huge desire to mess with it. I do wish it was a little bit sharper on mid to full throttle upshifts but not enough to risk voiding my warranty.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Good points Wookie. Ones I hadn't really tought of, to be honest.:o

Old 11-25-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I know for sure, IF I had an ecoboost, a canned tune would not go anywhere near it...

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Bullydog Tuner