Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!

Hey guys. Have a 2011 ecoboost fx4 screw with 3.73 rear and 750 miles on it. Was travelling on the highway this weekend at about 55mph and went to drop the hammer down and the truck had a violent shudder, I let off the gas and my check engine light was blinking...tried to just tap the accelerator to get me to the next exit and each of the 3 times I tried this the truck would shudder. Pulled of the highway and put it in park. Check engine light went out, I put it in drive and finished the trip without it happening again. I even accelerated hard and nothing. WTF! I know there are some "shudder" threads on here, but this was at high speeds and included the check engine light blinking. Any thoughts?? I just got the damn truck I don't want it to sit at the dealer!

Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
TAKE it to the dealer - the codes need to be read. It's misfiring, and you need to get that fixed ASAP.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
^^^ Definitely!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 PM
DAMNIT! glc, you feel this is coming from the motor? It felt transmission related but it happened so fast you could be right. Can they read a code that was flashed even if the light isn't on when I take the truck?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM
should be stored in the computer no matter what... hope you get this figured out.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was thinking it sounds like a TC acting up but it could also be a misfire. Either way I would be taking it straight back to the dealer and let them sort it out. If it threw a blinking light there should be a code.

Keep us informed.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 PM
I will call tomorrow. will keep everyone updated..... DAMNIT

Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAFX4
Hey guys. Have a 2011 ecoboost fx4 screw with 3.73 rear and 750 miles on it. Was travelling on the highway this weekend at about 55mph and went to drop the hammer down and the truck had a violent shudder, I let off the gas and my check engine light was blinking...tried to just tap the accelerator to get me to the next exit and each of the 3 times I tried this the truck would shudder. Pulled of the highway and put it in park. Check engine light went out, I put it in drive and finished the trip without it happening again. I even accelerated hard and nothing. WTF! I know there are some "shudder" threads on here, but this was at high speeds and included the check engine light blinking. Any thoughts?? I just got the damn truck I don't want it to sit at the dealer!
Probably nothing to be concerned about. Why? I had the exact same thing happen at 1500 miles. Called the dealer while it was happening. Within a mile after easing along at 35 mph, the check engine light stopped flashing and went out. Took it in the next morning. No codes stored. Flashing engine light indicates a mis-fire according to dealer. He told me if it happens again, keep my foot in it and if it stays on long enough it may store the code. He suggested but did not swear it was the problem, but possibly bad fuel, slug of water, ethanol in a non flex fuel engine. Told me to add a bottle of ethanol stabilizer just in case. I now have 3000 miles, I've tried to make it happen again and it does not. Runs perfect and when I kick it will slide me back in the seat. Not down playing the issue, just stating I have read probably a half dozen other folks with the same thing happening. You're dealer will probably not have an answer but I'd get it logged in by them anyway.
Good Luck and enjoy the truck.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Update. Essentially was told the same thing ridged43 just posted. No code stored and couldn't find anything wrong. Will bring this to the top if anything else happens.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Sounds like intercooler system air leak. Does it only do this at high boost or cold days/mornings?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 AM
only happened once. 60mph cruising with hard acceleration. my dealer did not elaborate as much as ridged43's, but my bottom line was the same. So, I will continue to drive it like nothing happened; it's documented.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I had same problem with mine when brand new (400km). Whenever I pushed a little too hard on the gas the engine would shudder and engine light would flash. If I backed off the gas right away it would run normal under minimal throttle. If I didn't back off, engine would go into full limp mode forcing me to pull over because of total loss of power, turn of truck, restart, and would run normal under minimal throttle.

I drove the truck back to the dealer (1000 km on odo) and they determined it to be faulty #1 injector (plug was severely fouled). It was quite difficult for them to assess the situation, and it took them quite a long time to get the parts.

On a positive note I now have 21000Km with no problems. Just got back from pulling a trailer through montana and idaho and truck ran great towing 7000lbs (2900 km round trip). Towed just as good (if not better) then friends duramax (which we took last time) and got slightly better fuel economy @10 us mpg. (lots of mountains and 70-75 mph)

Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ What year was the durajunk? I would love to show up my GM lovin' friends with my little Ford V6.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 AM
i had the same thing happen on my trip in August..mine was a misfire in cylinder 1. But they couldn't reproduce the misfire so they didnt fix it.. Drove over 8000 km since and no problems from it so no idea

Old 11-05-2011, 01:50 AM
Same thing happened to me

I didnt get any codes either. But, here is a little backstory on when it happened to me. I was driving back from Disney, and it was STORMING. When I say storming, it was a HUGE storm. I would imagine it had something to do with water. possibly even getting in to the gas tank? I have never had one of these capless fillers, so I cant say how water tight they are. I was cruising at around 60 on I-4, I went to pass another driver, and when I hit the gas I got the same thing, for a while too, id say around 5 miles on and off. No codes stored. Oh well, it was fine the next day.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!