Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2011 ecoboost has been sitting at the dealer for 2 weeks now..... waiting on the left bank catalytic converter assembly and charge air cooler to come in......They called me today to inform me that the parts came in for someone else's ecoboost that they had ordered a few days before i brought mine in so he was hopeful I'd get mine soon........all i can say is after owning 2 2003 F-150's..... 1 2006 F-150 and 1 2007 F-150 I'm extremely disappointed with Ford right now. Since 2003 I've owned those trucks and 2 mustangs in between. Never a hiccup and always rock solid and great build quality. This is the first time I haven't been happy with a truck from ford. This motor to me has just been all hype. I love you Ford but this really sucks

Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Copied from a Land Rover forum:

The PROBLEM

When the OAT and dewpoint span are quite low, HIGH Rh, and the EcoBoost engine is driven with a light load for extended periods then condensate forms inside the outflow end cap of the CAC and then puddles at the bottom of that end cap.

No problem, no foul, UNTIL....

The velocity of the CAC airflow, resulting from WOT or nearby, becomes so great that it washes waves of that water into the intake. Depending on the level of water accummulated the engine may "cough", choke on the water ingestion, for several seconds. In the meantime the engine ECU detects multiple misfires and often goes into "limp home" mode.

The CAUSE.

Think of why your A/C is equipped with a drain tube. When the air is cooled below its dewpoint airborne moisture will begin to condense out of the airflow. The same effect is true if you have a high-to-low pressure gradient in a volume of airflow.

The Ecoboost design, in order to reduce turbo lag, always has the turboes spun up just enough to produce boost pressure just slightly above atmospheric. As that pressurized air volume flows through the CAC it gets cooled, most likely to OAT. With the throttle partially closed any pressure at the outlet of the CAC above atmospheric will be "bypassed" back into the turbo's impeller inlet. Now, at the CAC outlet end cap that air volume can expand to atmospheric pressure, filling the (larger) end cap volume and as a result you get condensation.

Except unlike your A/C there is NO drain tube.

Ford's FIX (FIX...??!!)

Reduce the cooling efficiently of the CAC so as to reduce the probablity(???) of condensate forming. Revise the firmware in recognition of lower torque/HP in higher temperature climates.

The DIY FIX.

Drill a small hole in the very bottom of the CAC outflow end cap. Solder or epoxy a modified(***) brass nozzle/fitting into the hole. Now use an automotive vacuum line hose to connect the nozzle to the intake manifold downstream of the throttle plate.

*** Fill the brass nozzle with solder or epoxy and then using the smallest drill bit you have drill an opening back up through the nozzle.

The engine vacuum in cruise mode will take care of the rest.

DIY FIX REVISION.

With an orifice small enough to not "upset" the DBW idle learned/learning setting any particles getting past the air filter might block the orifice, most especially an "oiled" K&N.

The solution is to move the air flow restricting orifice/nozzle downstream of an inline fuel filter, say one for a lawn traction engine.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Steve,

Thanks for this information. I have the 2012 F-150 with the Ecoboost package, and have experienced the same shudder twice since I bough the truck. I have taken it to the dealership, and they did tell me that there is a bulletin on this issue. Now the fun starts: Took the truck to the dealership by appointment and explained the issues. They ran a diagnostic check, pulled the hard codes, and found the bulletin existed (as if they didn't know). This was early morning 8 AM the Friday before Xmas. They said I needed a deflector shield and a computer adjustment, but parts would be there later that day. OK, so I waited for the call that never came. So, I contacted them again, and made an appointment for Wednesday, following Xmas day. Rolled in, they pulled the truck in the shop, and then rolled it out five minutes later telling me the damn parts didn't arrive and they were checking on delivery status. They did tell me that they think there has become a high demand for these deflector shields and that they were searching for the parts and I would be called with details. No call of course, so the battle begins! Will post with details once I get this resolved, but I did copy/paste the bulletin you provided so, a big thanks for the information!

RW

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM
I bought a 2012 FX4 Ecoboost June 2012 with 7K miles on it. Experienced the same Shutter/engine bog on my 400 mile trip yesterday. My highway mpg was 16.2 at 70 mpg. City driving I'm getting 14.2 mpg. Very dissappointed with this so far. Was almost ran over on the highway. Seems like a very dangerous situation. Took it to the Bankston Ford Dealer here in Frisco Tx. The service advisor looked at me like I was crazy and never heard of this before. He then told me the 22 mpg is for perfect conditions and fx2. I'm know the 4x4 will get a little less but not 6 mpg less. The tech came out and pluged in to get the codes, He said I'm showing misfires in bank 4,5 and 6. I see posts about this issue going back to 2011. How is this not corrected yet? I'm dropping it off in the morning. Hopefully it will get corrected. Is anyone else still having the issue with the redesigned CAC, plugs, coils, software update, driver side cat??

Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM
I have extremely disappointing news today. Two months ago I had my hometown dealership install TSB 12-6-4 based on the news I received from steve29ca. My truck received the intercooler blocker and reprogramming/flash.

Unfortunately, yesterday, I was traveling out of state in Tennessee where they had heavy rain and fog. My ecoboost shuddered and stalled several times. Additionally, at one stop, I noticed some steam coming from the hood of the truck as if it was overheated and/or I had driven through deep water. I couldn't locate the source the steam. The good news, if there could be good news, the check engine light came on. I created a vehicle health report using the MySync system and sent it to my account. The vehicle health report shows that "there is a problem with the engine, transmission, and emission system and needs checked soon" (great detail there Ford ... sarcasm). I started the truck up this morning to be the first in line at the dealership and the check engine light was off.

My truck is now at an out of state dealership. They just called me to say that the truck registered fault codes. The problem is with the intercooler and it needs replacing.

I am extremely frustrated now. This sudden loss of power/engine loss has happened to me several times and has caused an unsafe situation. Luckily other trucks and cars were able to give way as I lost power.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Update ...

My truck registered codes PO304 and PO306. They are performing TSB 12-10-19 however the new intercooler is on back order until March.

As soon as it is fixed, I will up y'all. However, I've heard from other Ecoboost owners that this doesn't fix the problem. We shall see.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 PM
This is my second posting regarding the same problem I had with my 2012 F-150 ecoboost. Right now, I'm in wait mode for the Ford East Coast Field Rep to contact me regarding my ordered inter-cooler replacement. The problem has only happened to me twice, both times during wet conditions. Got in it to pass on I-95, and tach dropped to no more than 3000 RPM, and would not take the gas. No lights, no nothing. Pulled over, put it in park, shut her down, restarted, and it was fine. Took it to the dealership, and they read the hard codes. The TSB on the truck was in the system, they ordered the parts, scheduled me for the replacement, I went in, and they turned it around in the garage in ten minutes because the parts didn't show up. The manager "forgot" to call me. (*******). Anyway, I got sick of waiting, and called Ford. Received my case number, pushed for assistance, and finally received a call from the Eastern Region Rep almost two weeks ago. He's telling me that the manufacturer is shipping the required inter-cooler to the dealership, but no time-frame yet on the arrival. He was supposed to call me on 16 January, but of course, that never happened. I did call today and left him a message with no return call. I'm about tired of this crap. My truck is running just fine right now, with no issues, but I want the damn thing replaced so it doesn't happen again. I was a previous owner of of a Duramax Diesel, but the damn truck was falling apart electrically, so I decided to go back to a Ford, and now this **** happens. I will post again when I get resolution, but this problem seems to be affecting alot of ecoboost owners now. Seems Ford will only recall when someone gets seriously hurt. My next step is to go to the local news, and that usually gets some attention.

RW

Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Well I hope 2nd time is a charm had TSB 12-10-19 done today. They put in the new intercooler, new program, etc. and I paid for new plugs thought since they had spent so much time underwater they should be replaced and the dealer didn't agree so I paid.. so be it. In all honesty the truck has been running well recently but its -10 and not a lot of condensation issues in the winter so the "fix" can't be judged till summer IMO. This is the TBS: you may need to cut and past

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.b2I&cad=rja

Old 01-26-2013, 07:26 AM
I had an issue like Franklindeez as my stuttering/shuddering is in heavy rain downpours. The dealer said water/moisture makes its way into the turbo when at a steady engine speed (cruise control) The dealer said a fix was to put a deflector on the turbo intake to reduce the potential water/moisture from getting there. The EB motored trucks after a April build date in 2011 were supposed to have the newer style air deflector installed. I have this newer deflector and IT DOES NOT WORK! During heavy rains it seems I should not use cruise control on the highway. This is not the cure as I tried it as well and there is still a studder/shudder if you need immediate power while raining. Can anyone else chime in with a solution/fix?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
MSilvia:

Read the posting above yours by steve29ca. Download the PDF file (by the google link provided) and take that to your dealership ... or just quote them TSB 12-10-19. It sounds like you had the old TSB performed. You still need a new CAC.

The ecoboost engine will shudder/stall/surge whenever there is a lot of moisture present (heavy rain, dense fog, a lot of water spray on the highway). Doesn't matter about cruise control or steady speed. It happened to me after driving country roads (a lot of starts and stops and differential speeds) and then trying to accelerate onto the interstate where the motor stalled. It also kept happening to me one day during dense fog. It also just happened to me, interstate driving, while going downhill, foot off the accelerator, and the entire truck started to shake.

Does anyone know if there's a TSB for the 2013s? I have a friend who has one, same issue, but a Ford dealership refused to work on it because the TSB is for 2011-2012 ecoboost trucks.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Great.. I am a new member to the ECO-shudder club. I drove 500+ miles to Boise Idaho from Oregon. Started back to Oregon it was 22 degrees and fog/ice out. It finally cleared up to about 45 degrees. Probably 350 miles driven. Exited the highway and then back on. Excelerated on the ramp and then the shudder. Backed off and it queited down. Excelerated two more times with shudder and backed off. Finally it settled down. I have had the truck about a month and have about 2,000 miles.

I ran the SYNC heath check. I will be talking to the dealer Monday.
SYNC report does not tell you anything really.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SYNC Report <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The icons below may be illuminated in your dash or console or may appear in your message center. The vehicle diagnostics indicate a parameter that is out of normal range or that a component has failed. Systems within your vehicle need prompt service and/or inspection.

Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Regulatory

»What Should I Do?

Light Stays On: The vehicle will usually be drivable and will not require towing. Refer to On Board Diagnostics (OBD-II) in the Owner's Manual for information on temporary malfunctions that may not require vehicle service. Light Blinking: Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.
WARNING: Under engine misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures could damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior floor coverings or other vehicle components, possibly causing a fire.

»What Is Happening?

Light Stays On: Indicates that the On Board Diagnostics System has detected a problem with the engine, transmission or an emission-related component or system.
Light Blinking: Indicates that the On Board Diagnostics System has detected an engine misfire problem with the engine.

»What Does This Mean?

Service Engine Soon: If the Service Engine Soon indicator light stays illuminated after the engine is started, it indicates the On Board Diagnostics(OBD) system has detected a malfunction of your vehicle emissions control system. Refer to On Board Diagnostics in your Owner's Manual. If the light is blinking, engine misfire is occurring which could damage your catalytic converter. Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible. See your Owner's Manual for additional information.

Schedule service with your preferred dealership

Online Appointment
Online Appointment contacts your preferred dealership to set up a service appointment. In most cases, your Vehicle Health Report data will automatically be sent to your preferred dealership. You can locate a different dealership for service.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Let's see...I bought a $52,000 truck (paid $46,000) and you're suggesting I put cardboard in front of the intake and everything will be all right? My shudder is happening @ 80 degrees and light moisture. What I find so pathetic about this situation is the people that SOLD me on the Eco-boost knew there was an issue by the time I purchased one. When I too complained about getting terrible gas mileage (avg 13.5 highway) they (service dept) just laughed and said I had a heavy foot. F' that!!!! This bloody truck has been in for Service for more days in it's first year than my Tundra in 12 years. I love my F-150 don't get me wrong...but I should have bought the 6 liter.

Originally Posted by papa tiger
I know, put a Bud light carton in front of it and add some stabil to the gas. See if the dew point moisture problem goes away. This may be/ probably is, a no brainer problem brought on by cool damp weather. One a shutter system could take care of. It would be different if you worked the truck hard pulling a 5th wheel, RPM's up and 6th locked out.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm in wait mode too (past 6 weeks). I told them of this problem last July and they didn't do anything except keep my vehicle for 3 days. Brought it back in late November after almost losing control when I went to punch it to pass a car...I heard some engines have ingested enough water to hydrolock...

Originally Posted by Matchgrip1
This is my second posting regarding the same problem I had with my 2012 F-150 ecoboost. Right now, I'm in wait mode for the Ford East Coast Field Rep to contact me regarding my ordered inter-cooler replacement. The problem has only happened to me twice, both times during wet conditions. Got in it to pass on I-95, and tach dropped to no more than 3000 RPM, and would not take the gas. No lights, no nothing. Pulled over, put it in park, shut her down, restarted, and it was fine. Took it to the dealership, and they read the hard codes. The TSB on the truck was in the system, they ordered the parts, scheduled me for the replacement, I went in, and they turned it around in the garage in ten minutes because the parts didn't show up. The manager "forgot" to call me. (*******). Anyway, I got sick of waiting, and called Ford. Received my case number, pushed for assistance, and finally received a call from the Eastern Region Rep almost two weeks ago. He's telling me that the manufacturer is shipping the required inter-cooler to the dealership, but no time-frame yet on the arrival. He was supposed to call me on 16 January, but of course, that never happened. I did call today and left him a message with no return call. I'm about tired of this crap. My truck is running just fine right now, with no issues, but I want the damn thing replaced so it doesn't happen again. I was a previous owner of of a Duramax Diesel, but the damn truck was falling apart electrically, so I decided to go back to a Ford, and now this **** happens. I will post again when I get resolution, but this problem seems to be affecting alot of ecoboost owners now. Seems Ford will only recall when someone gets seriously hurt. My next step is to go to the local news, and that usually gets some attention.

RW

Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Well I rekin y'all can add me to the growing list of Ecoboost that have had issues or in the shop. My EB misfired once last week and threw a code p0430 on Saturday. Today I took it to wray ford in Bossier city to check her out and they called me later today to inform me that I needed a new cac and driver side catalyst - and no idea when parts would get here cause like said above the cac is on National back order.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Me too. I just got back from the dealer and was told the parts are on back order and they will call me when they are in.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!