Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklindeez
I would imagine it had something to do with water. possibly even getting in to the gas tank? I have never had one of these capless fillers, so I cant say how water tight they are.
I doubt it was from the capless fuel filler. There is a flap inside the filler neck that is sealed. There are drain holes above that so any fluid that does not come if through the fuel nozzle will run out and hit the ground. The white funnel that came with your truck is to get around this if you have to put gas in from a tank or some type of fuel additive.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklindeez
I didnt get any codes either. But, here is a little backstory on when it happened to me. I was driving back from Disney, and it was STORMING. When I say storming, it was a HUGE storm. I would imagine it had something to do with water. possibly even getting in to the gas tank? I have never had one of these capless fillers, so I cant say how water tight they are. I was cruising at around 60 on I-4, I went to pass another driver, and when I hit the gas I got the same thing, for a while too, id say around 5 miles on and off. No codes stored. Oh well, it was fine the next day.
For a stock tuned vehicle that is strange. I still feel like its a spike or overboost issue. On my STi when it would rain or when it was very cold out it would sometimes fuel cut at high boost. It scares the crap out of you at first cause it pins u in the seat, then the ecu see's you overboosted to what it is set to fuel cut at. When it fuel cuts it feels like you hit a wall for a second. Then it drives like nothing happened. Sometimes a overboost code that will go away or a misfire code(due to the fuel cut). Make sure all the clamps are tight on the intercooler system. Any air leaks can cause this as well. Hopefully its something simple like this. God Luck!

Old 11-06-2011, 01:06 AM
By any chance were you running 87 or 89 octane?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 AM
I was running 91 at the time it happened to me. Would that have made a difference. I've seen lots of members running premium fuel.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Same issue with mine. First the misfire issue (500 miles) while going from the on-ramp to the highway with the associated blinking CEL. Ran the code reader and got a misfire on one cylinder. Last week (2000 miles) CEL came on while cruising at low RPM (1600) and the code reader was giving me a P0420 (catalyst system effeciency below threshold) code. Verhicule currently with the dealer and I was informed this morning they are changing the ignition coils, spark plugs, and one catalytic converter. Good thing it's stil under warranty. Average MPG has not been that great so far, maybe this will help as well.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 PM
just had this happen to me yesterday while driving in the rain. I went to pass a car and the truck fell on its face. I let off the throttle and when I tried speeding back up to cruising speed it started blinking and the CEL was blinking (misfire). Pulled over, turned the truck off and back on and no issues since. Truck has 1700 miles on it. Guess I will be calling the dealership.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Add me to this club. 2012 F150 Ecoboost, 1500 miles on the motor, driving in a light rain, pull out to pass and it stalls out and shuddered. Check engine light blinked at first then stayed on full time now. Sounds familar to every one elses post. My truck has the Sync option which will email me a copy of the diagnostics, I'll see what that says. And will be calling my dealer for the warranty work.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Just dropped mine off this morning with the same issue. Happened the first time yesterday afternoon after driving through a bit of rain. The it happened again last night about 400 miles later and driving through pretty solid rain for about three hours. Got of the interstate and put my foot to the floor and it feel on it's face! CEL on and then shuddered the next 2 miles to the house. CEL on again this morning and has been at the dealer for a couple hours. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by agadawg1717
Just dropped mine off this morning with the same issue. Happened the first time yesterday afternoon after driving through a bit of rain. The it happened again last night about 400 miles later and driving through pretty solid rain for about three hours. Got of the interstate and put my foot to the floor and it feel on it's face! CEL on and then shuddered the next 2 miles to the house. CEL on again this morning and has been at the dealer for a couple hours. I'll keep you guys posted.
What truck do you have? Your sig says a 5.0, is this right?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
What truck do you have? Your sig says a 5.0, is this right?
I did until 2 days ago when I traded it in for a 2012 5.0.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:43 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You do know this is an Ecoboost thread - not a 5.0 thread?

Old 09-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You do know this is an Ecoboost thread - not a 5.0 thread?
Are you serious?

I know it's an Ecoboost thread!!! My first post was about the same problem that I had with my Ecoboost that I owned until last Thursday! I'm pretty sure no matter what truck I have I can comment on any thread! BTW I drive a 5.0 now but I had an Eco for a year and a half!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Sorry about that - you weren't clear enough. Read Wookie's question and your answer again - to me, it reads that you had a 5.0 and traded it on another 5.0.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:07 PM
UPDATE... Just got mine back from the shop. And I got a copy of the actual Ford service bulletin issued in June, addressing this specific issues. The service bullent says says this happens under hard acceleration and more predominantly in high humid or wet conditions. Depending upon the error code thrown, they replace the cat convertor or add a shroud to the intercooler. But the Ford service tech told me the biggest fix comes from a computer update they install via the service bulletin recommendations. The service tech told me its like your home computer software update to fix some bugs in the original software.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by KSecoboost
UPDATE... Just got mine back from the shop. And I got a copy of the actual Ford service bulletin issued in June, addressing this specific issues. The service bullent says says this happens under hard acceleration and more predominantly in high humid or wet conditions. Depending upon the error code thrown, they replace the cat convertor or add a shroud to the intercooler. But the Ford service tech told me the biggest fix comes from a computer update they install via the service bulletin recommendations. The service tech told me its like your home computer software update to fix some bugs in the original software.
That's the same one they gave me. But the problem was even after the fix the turbo was still misfiring. Then by the next morning it was magically fixed and not backfiring anymore. When I got it back from service the turbo was lagging more than ever. Not undrivable or even serviceable but just didn't have the quick response it had before the issue.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!