Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had to take mine in for a CEL. Read the code and it was for catalyst efficiency bank 2 or something to the affect. Lucky for me I have extended warranty but like I told the dealer this is emission related so it should automatically be covered by Ford. Have had a miss at idle on startup for a while but not overtime I start the truck. Also mileage isn't what it was towing my travel trailer. We took a 2500 mile trip to northern MN and back to Denver and a few times the mileage was down to 6 for a tank. Really sucks with the small tank of the 2011. Now to swap in the large tank.

Last edited by boosted bob; 07-28-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:19 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Bob, how many miles on the spark plugs? They need to be changed every 40k, best gap is .028.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boosted bob
I just had to take mine in for a CEL. Read the code and it was for catalyst efficiency bank 2 or something to the affect. Lucky for me I have extended warranty but like I told the dealer this is emission related so it should automatically be covered by Ford. Have had a miss at idle on startup for a while but not overtime I start the truck...
Hi boosted bob,

Did you have your dealer check out the miss at idle while they were looking at the CEL? How many miles are on your truck currently? I'm here to help.

Crystal

Old 08-03-2015, 08:27 PM
glc - my truck has 28k on it.
FordService - I mentioned the miss but not sure they looked into it. They replaced the cat and that's about it. I mentioned that it has on occasion had a miss at idle on startup only. I was hoping they would replace the plugs but didn't happen. As it was it took them almost 3 days to look at it and then had to order cat. When I picked it up I got in and CEL was on. Left it with them another 4 or 5 hrs to find out the tech never cleared the CEL. Not sure I trust these guys to do any other service.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:02 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to change the plugs yourself - it's an easy job and quite inexpensive.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by boosted bob
glc - my truck has 28k on it.
FordService - I mentioned the miss but not sure they looked into it. They replaced the cat and that's about it. I mentioned that it has on occasion had a miss at idle on startup only. I was hoping they would replace the plugs but didn't happen. As it was it took them almost 3 days to look at it and then had to order cat. When I picked it up I got in and CEL was on. Left it with them another 4 or 5 hrs to find out the tech never cleared the CEL. Not sure I trust these guys to do any other service.
Thanks for replying, boosted bob. I can document this feedback about your dealer experience, if that's something you'd be interested in. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, dealer info, and any specifics you'd like me to include. I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Old 08-05-2015, 03:06 AM
2012 EcoBoost crappy mileage

Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
Hey RedFX4me,

Thanks for posting about your concern. Please PM your name, VIN, current odometer reading, dealer, and best daytime phone number - I'll look further into this to see how I can help.

Nick
Nick,

I will PM you with the info you requested. Here is the latest update and some further info to consider.

I was able to get in just prior to my 3 yr. warranty expiring (2 days before!) and my dealer was quite accommodating. They looked at an issue I had with my brakes failing after a cold start and no, or very slow acceleration (i.e. coasting out of my driveway on to the street) and they ended up replacing the vacuum pump.

They claim they did everything they could in regards to my fuel economy issue, but it seems as though they only did a visual inspection of the system (i.e. turbo pipes, air filter) and they ran a fuel economy test (no faults reported). They also ran a KOEO and KOER test (I have no clue what that means!) and no faults were reported. I gave them approval to spend some time at my cost as I was told they cannot do an investigation into the fuel economy issue and not find anything and do so for free. So, they claim they spent a total of about 3 hours looking into the issue and charged me only $59.95 ($67.74 incl. tax) as they were sympathetic to my frustration.

Prior to them doing anything to my truck, I told them that I had received a message from someone in this forum who had said that they should do a vacuum test on the turbo system and they will likely find an issue because the symptoms (the harder it works, the worse and worsening the fuel economy becomes) led him to be convinced that was the problem.

After I left (after I picked up my truck) I realized I had not asked them if they did a vacuum test or not. I assumed they did because when I mentioned the vacuum test to the service advisor, he wrote it down on the service order. I am not sure what a KOEO or KOER test is - would that be a vacuum test?

The day after I picked up my truck (July 30/15) I had an opportunity to pull my trailer for 40 kilometers and noticed that the fuel economy was actually slightly better. I got 28 L/100 Km (28 litres per 100 km = 10 miles per (imperial) gallon). Now that is not what I got the first time I pulled my trailer. They first time I pulled my trailer I got 22 L/100 Km (13 imperial mpg). A few weeks ago, prior to having my truck serviced, I got 34 L/100 Km (8 imperial mpg).

When I pull my trailer, I drive exactly the same: mainly highway driving and only 10 km/hr over the speed limit (100 Km/hr); summer driving (i.e. hot humid weather); trailer weight never changes; truck payload is always the same (me, 2 dogs and nothing in the box); and trailer is in excellent condition.

I do also get crappy mileage when I am not towing my trailer and it too has worsened since I first got my truck (from a constant 12 L/100 Km (24 imperial mpg) highway to the current value of 19 L/100 Km (15 imperial mpg).

Don't forget that the fuel economy rating in Canada is different than it is in the US because our gallons are bigger than a US gallon (e.g. 1 imperial gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallons). So my truck is rated at 29 mpg Highway and 20 mpg City which equals 24 mpg Highway and 17 mpg City in the US.

I know my message is long-winded, but too much info is better than not enough.

Best regards,
Mike.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 PM
I just purchased a 2014 Platinum with 12k miles and experienced what I would describe as this exact same issue today for the first time while driving on the highway, passing a car in the rain. Got online tonight to see what the heck it was all about thinking it was very odd and am sick to see its an ongoing issue with no measurable solution. I traded in an Escalade I thought was the biggest POS I have ever owned and was delighted to finally get back into a Ford. Very nervous....haven't even hooked the boat up for a tow on one of my many fishing trips. I see the TSB listed for 2013 and prior years, is there one that covers newer model years?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:23 PM
Had this problem....I added oil catch cans, drilled a small 1/16th hole in intercooler, and replaced plugs. Fixed the nasty shudder....Seems to have some sort of BOV or wastegate issue when under load and light throttle still though.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by deadpool442
Had this problem....I added oil catch cans, drilled a small 1/16th hole in intercooler, and replaced plugs. Fixed the nasty shudder....Seems to have some sort of BOV or wastegate issue when under load and light throttle still though.
Have you ever mentioned this to your dealer, deadpool442? It might be a wise next step if you're having difficulty tracking down the cause. How many miles are on your truck currently?

Crystal

Old 03-04-2016, 12:19 PM
The dealership I got it from was a Chevy dealership and like 60 miles away. I did bring it to my local Ford and they said I need to come back with appointment to check TSB on intercooler...I don't think intercooler is problem with the pin hole drilled in it. Condensation leaks out from there. Havent been back since I replaced plugs since runs much better than it did...but still issues. Heard timing chain grind on it too when i first got it. Contemplating trading it in for something else at this point.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Have you ever mentioned this to your dealer, deadpool442? It might be a wise next step if you're having difficulty tracking down the cause. How many miles are on your truck currently?

Crystal
I brought this up with my local dealer before my extended warranty ran out. $200 later I was told it needed spark plugs changed for over $400, the ones in it had about 10,000 miles on them. The dealerships are completely useless.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by deadpool442
The dealership I got it from was a Chevy dealership and like 60 miles away. I did bring it to my local Ford and they said I need to come back with appointment to check TSB on intercooler...I don't think intercooler is problem with the pin hole drilled in it. Condensation leaks out from there. Havent been back since I replaced plugs since runs much better than it did...but still issues. Heard timing chain grind on it too when i first got it. Contemplating trading it in for something else at this point.
I hope we can keep you as a member of the Ford Family, deadpool442. Let me know if you decide to have this diagnosed at your local Ford Dealership.

Originally Posted by Wookie
I brought this up with my local dealer before my extended warranty ran out. $200 later I was told it needed spark plugs changed for over $400, the ones in it had about 10,000 miles on them. The dealerships are completely useless.
Hi Wookie,

If you'd like, I'd be happy to document your feedback about this dealer experience so it will be available for internal review. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, dealer info, and any details you'd like me to include.

Crystal

Old 12-28-2016, 11:26 PM
This hole folks are drilling...is it just through the plastic? I drilled this and hit something solid and quit drilling.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by timurray2000
This hole folks are drilling...is it just through the plastic? I drilled this and hit something solid and quit drilling.
It's through the plastic case of the intercooler. Look under the driver's side of the truck. There will be a large hose coming out of the intercooler. Where the hose attaches to the intercooler there is a low spot on the side tank, drill a small hole there. It's all plastic and not terribly thick.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost High Speed Shudder + Check engine light blinking. Help!