2011 F-150 EcoBoost Oil Change (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep oil from squirting out the drain.

When I loosened the oil drain plug I didn't remove it all the way. Just until oil started coming out then I unscrewed it just a little more and pushed it to one side or the other. The oil pretty much ran out of it straight down while I held it loosely in place.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fumoto Valve. Works great.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Fumoto Valve. Works great.
Not enough flow/pressure to help flush out any nasty stuff on the bottom of the drain pan.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
Not enough flow/pressure to help flush out any nasty stuff on the bottom of the drain pan.
How dirty do you let your oil get? Besides, I take a drive before draining to mix it up.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Another tips for youz guyz.

Last time I did the change on ramps. This time I vowed to figure out the drip tray under the filter. I jacked on the driver's side this time so as to tilt the tray backwards. It worked. Not a single drop on the front side at all. Also, put in the Quik Valve, too. Excellent device.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Smile Ecoboost oil change

Just recently changed my oil for the first time in my 12 ecoboost. Like everyone else said it is a pain in the ***. Took some time but two things will make futur changes easier. 1 fumoto valve.....I swear by this. 2 ratchet extentension to get oil filter off....get oil filter cap and comes off so easy.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM
I did it once.....now I take it to the dealer for 29.00.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
Mine either. I raised this question with the dealer and we checked several ECO on the lot and none of them had the rubber inserts either. Might have been eliminated on later trucks.
Mine had them, so I just always put 1 dob of silicone rubber sealant at one spot on the rubber to shield to keep the rubber from turning and falling out.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by truckerdude
It's easier to reach in from the top and change the oil filter. You can see what you are doing. I was also able to fill the new filter half way up with oil before installing it. It's important to always put oil in the filter. Oh also dont forget to rub some oil on the rubber gasket with your finger.
reaching in from the top works for me cause I have slim arms, it's a tight squeeze but doing it underneath sucks.
I'm interested to hear how you retain the oil you put in the filter with the filter orientation being horizontal.

Additionally, the location of the filter makes it nearly humanly impossible to do a quick stab and spin on.

I've always put oil in the new filter before installing, but my previous vehicles the filter has been oriented vertically. Not losing any oil while re-installing.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by JohnnyQ
Just did this today. Nice write up it was helpful. I ended up removing the skid plate to prevent having an oily mess. It's heavy about 40 lbs I'd say. Took me almost 2 hrs since it was the first time on this truck.

When all is said and done, I had one question for the Ford designers - What were you thinking? Really?? I mean c'mon. With all the troughs and spigots to direct the oil from the filter through the hole in the skid plate, it looks like a Rube Goldberg design. The main oil drain is not bad - just ahve to remove a rear cover plate via thumbscrews, but the filter is a real pain...
From what I read the 3.5 foundation for this engine originated from the 3.5 Duratec. Same bore/stroke and basic structure. Being transversely mounted in FWD applications it's likely the filter location worked well for oil changes. When they morphed this engine for the 3.5 EB application it seems there wasn't any design difference engineer with an adapter to change or move the orientation of the filter. Thus why we have troughs for channeling oil to either the front or rear of the cross member. Yea I would agree the oil filter location has much to be desired.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Awesome write up. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Cool F150 ecoboost oil change

Originally Posted by 1st Time Ford
Nicely done! Thank you for the info.
Read a few posts on the oil change. Thank you all and I agree Ford took a short cut on using Transverse engine design pertaining to oil filter. Without a doubt they try to make it harder as time goes on to keep the Service $ coming in. I've been working on my vehicles for 50 years and I had no clue where the drain plug and filter was when I slid under to start the oil change. Thanks to you fellow F150 owners I'll be able to prevent a lot of unnecessary BS. Thanks again guys.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joemac
From what I read the 3.5 foundation for this engine originated from the 3.5 Duratec. Same bore/stroke and basic structure. Being transversely mounted in FWD applications it's likely the filter location worked well for oil changes. When they morphed this engine for the 3.5 EB application it seems there wasn't any design difference engineer with an adapter to change or move the orientation of the filter. Thus why we have troughs for channeling oil to either the front or rear of the cross member. Yea I would agree the oil filter location has much to be desired.
Originally Posted by Paps 2012 F150
Read a few posts on the oil change. Thank you all and I agree Ford took a short cut on using Transverse engine design pertaining to oil filter. Without a doubt they try to make it harder as time goes on to keep the Service $ coming in. I've been working on my vehicles for 50 years and I had no clue where the drain plug and filter was when I slid under to start the oil change. Thanks to you fellow F150 owners I'll be able to prevent a lot of unnecessary BS. Thanks again guys.
Ummm, the oil filter on the EB is I the same spot it was on my 2001, 2003 and 2005 5.4L F150s. They all had the oil trough over the axle too. I'm pretty sure the 3.7L, 5.0 and 6.2 all have it there also. It doesn't have anything to do with being a FWD moved to RWD and cost savings. That's just where Ford has been putting oil filters since at least 1997.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:19 PM
For the first 125,000 miles, extended warranty, I had the regular maintenance done at the dealership. The last service was done at a different dealer, I bought it over an hour away from new home, who must not train the techs very well. The was residual oil, be and used, EVERYWHERE, and overfilled by almost 2 quarts.
So i figure I'll do this myself. I have friend who believes a mechanic must have slept with an equipment engineer's wife and that's why things are engineered the way they are. I'm starting to believe. This is one of the dumbest setups I've dealt with. There are even pads under there to soak up spillage. About as stupid as having to remove a crossmember to change a transmission filter, Chevy.
I love the truck but they sure make it difficult to do your own maintenance.

Last edited by Oisinirish; 08-08-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm either Superman in a garage or y'all need to take a shop class or two. If it takes more than 30 minutes to change the oil on your EB then you're doing something wrong. The drain plug while being horizontal is not hard to get to and the filter is tucked up in there a little bit but it's a straight reach to grab it. All new vehicles have some type of underbody shield for airflow management so that's just a part of life now. At least the Ford engineers were smart enough to put them on with 1/4 turns, most vehicles use screws or speed nuts that break after a couple of uses.

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 EcoBoost Oil Change (with pics)