Lack of low rpm power? Tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lack of low rpm power? Tune up?

Hey,

Just wondering what a complete tune up would consist of? There's a high performance shop around that does tune ups and I don't wanna go in there totally blind but my 4.2L 2000 F150 Flareside is lacking some low end power, or was, usually when you stomp on it, it doesn't kick in and start getting up and going until the higher rpms (I don't have an rpm gauge so I can't say where). Any idea what this might be? I've changed the oil, did an engine flush (walmart service) and changed the air filter.

Yet for some reason this afternoon leaving school I had the wheel turned a slight bit and stomped on 'er, she sounded brand new, broke free instantly and I left a strip out of the student parking lot..

Any help is appreciated,
Brendan

Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
That's actually normal, because the engine has a IMRC that doesn't open till about 3000 rpm.

If it's not running rough or missing, really about the only thing in a "tuneup" would be a fresh set of Motorcraft spark plugs. You can do that yourself.

Change the fuel filter and put some Techron in the gas to clean the injectors and combustion system.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Alright sounds good! Maybe that's why the tires broke free when I hammered on it yesterday, it jumped right up the rpm gauge from the start? Because when I try and do a break burn it doesn't even rev lol

Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by bigredpei
Because when I try and do a break burn it doesn't even rev lol
Hold the brake down hard...
Step on gas pedal...
Come off the brake semi-slow till the truck lurches forward...
Press brake to the floor again...

Sometimes I can get my 4.2 to let go like that and spin it out....

Quick Reply: Lack of low rpm power? Tune up?