Ecoboost/Airflow/Front License Plate

Old 06-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ecoboost/Airflow/Front License Plate

Hi folks,

I researched this and couldn't find my answer ....

I'm 97% through the process of buying an 11 Platinum with Ecoboost. I noticed the front license plate on all the Ecoboost trucks are over to the driver's side as opposed to being mounted in the center of the front bumper. My dealer says it is due to airflow issues with the Ecoboost.

Huh?! Is this an over-precaution? Can I just move the license plate bracket to the center without any real problems? If not, is the airflow issue such that I should reconsider the Ecoboost?

I just find it hard to believe that something as simple as a license plate could create significant air flow/cooling issues

Old 06-23-2011, 06:27 PM
I searched here and couldn't find my answer, but a Google search just revealed what I was looking for. Thanks anyways!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The intercooler is behind the opening. It needs air to work so the tag was moved. If it really bothers you the bumper cover without the tag as available for a few $$$. I would not trade my EB for one of the other motors just because of the tag location.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 PM
i dont know about your laws but where i'm at we dont need a front licence plate. I ordered another bumper insert and an intercooler grille and I love it. Just the grille alone makes the front look better. I am still waiting on the bumper insert but heres a pic of the front with the grille

Old 06-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Ford has done this trick about opening up the center of the bumper to allow max airflow to the intercooler core a long time back. In the mid 90's when the PowerStroke first came out it was done like this too.

If you want the most power and performance out of your EB, leave the opening clear for max airflow.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Blocking the EcoBoost Intercooler opening.

EcoBoost intercooler opening: hopefully, Westin will make bullbars that don't cover the opening.

Last edited by HampM; 07-25-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Bullbars did not make any difference.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kinda like that it's offset to one side, a different look compared to all the rest.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by HampM
EcoBoost intercooler opening: Leave it completely open! I just got a new 2011 Ford with the EcoBoost 6 cyl. and put Westin bullbars on it. About that time my gas mileage dropped to 12 mpg on the highway. Ford required me to remove it.
LMAO - I call BS. There's no way a little less airflow over the intercooler will cause a drop of 5-10 mpg!

Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HampM
EcoBoost intercooler opening: Leave it completely open! I just got a new 2011 Ford with the EcoBoost 6 cyl. and put Westin bullbars on it. About that time my gas mileage dropped to 12 mpg on the highway. Ford required me to remove it.

Originally Posted by TX Chris
LMAO - I call BS. There's no way a little less airflow over the intercooler will cause a drop of 5-10 mpg!
I agree. Maybe a few, but not that much of a drop. Besides, is your engine even broken in?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Betcha it could - if the intake charge is hot, the PCM will go rich to cool it down to prevent detonation.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well my 05 didn't come with a front plate bracket on it which was fine by me since i live in a state that doesn't have front plates and like the clean look without the front plate bracket.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
Absolutly your mpgs will drop, bullbars or a plate in front of that opening will prevent nearly any decent air over the cooler. Leading to as others said, an extremely high charge air temp and then the computer will flood the fuel to help cool the combustion chamber as that is the other way to cool.

So leave that opeing as wide open as possible. I would love to put one of the grilles on, and I may still do, but would hate to cut down any airflow. Maybe I could adapt a cryo system on it, like the Subaru top mounts do it. The cooler the air the better!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Here's my EB license plate "mod". Two 2" angle brackets, a cheap parts store plate holder and a few nuts and bolts. The holes to mount it are already there.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I can guarantee that if you restrict the air flow in the least amount, if you have a turbo problem, the warranty will be void.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM
While I am slightly concerned about a big object wiping out the turbo cooler I am more worried that its gonna get plugged up with all the insects we got up here.
Went to the hardware store and picked up some screen door mesh.
Cut a piece for the rad and turbo rad,a dozen or so zip ties and no more worries.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost/Airflow/Front License Plate