Ecoboost/Airflow/Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bosro
While I am slightly concerned about a big object wiping out the turbo cooler I am more worried that its gonna get plugged up with all the insects we got up here.
Went to the hardware store and picked up some screen door mesh.
Cut a piece for the rad and turbo rad,a dozen or so zip ties and no more worries.
I was looking into that, something you can take off every so often and clean or replace while keeping the cores clean. Nothing uglier then a core with tons of bugs and tiny little rocks in it!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Well i am glad I put on the intercooler grille, cause I hit a grouse a 100 km/hr and if I didnt have it on it would have hit the intercooler. There were chips on the grille and a big pile of feathers...so I am very happy with the grille and havent noticed any difference in MPG's.. Heres a new pic with the grille painted after the grouse, and no front licence plate

Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM
If one could control the temps well enough, and get back to back comparisons with and without the grille comparing Intake Air temps would be ideal. That would be the real test.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey every one!
I just got an ecobooster in a 2011 XLT about a month ago and so far I'm pretty impressed. I'm a little concerned though about having the intercooler exposed to something that might damage it and also the build of bug matter. I try to drive around the little pests but to no avail....damn them!
I'm also wondering how the intercooler will fair in the North East this winter with all the sand and salt slopping around on our roads.
I found the DBS screen kit, one screen for each radiator but I also like the intercooler grille tteel put on his truck...it looks quite nice. For some reason the opening, as it comes from the factory, looks sort of unfinished, like it's missing something?
At this point I like the intercooler grille setup the best and I'm thinking it would be good during the winter months. Of course having the screens to fend of the dang bugs would be good during our summers.
Guess I got some more contemplation to do...ouchie, my head!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:06 PM
GO with the screen for the summer, and put the grill eon during winter. Problem solved

Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
But.. what is the ACTUAL % blockage from the slats in the carriage works model shown earlier in the thread?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Yup yellowsvt 03....that's the way I'm leaning at this point. Sounds like a plan man!

DDA, I'm not so concerned about the blockage with the intercooler insert because I'd be running that during the colder months...therefore it should provide sufficient coolage. Don't ya think?

By the way, tteel, could you please pass along the part number, or something, so I could get a line on the intercooler insert?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Anyone with the carriage works care to do the math, give us the thickness of the bars, and how many there are and I will do the math if you want.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I used the mesh that you use on top of gutters to keep leafs etc. out of them, it looks great and has very little air flow restriction.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 PM
The day that I picked up my 2011 FX4 Eco, I saw a Lariat Eco in the dealers showroom. They had installed what looked like a Carriage Works billet grille to fill the hole in the bumper (intercooler hole). I installed the same thing on mine...I am not worried about warranty in the least

Last edited by F150 Man 4Eva; 07-11-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:59 PM
^ I never thought to check if Ford offered any type of gille insert...

Old 07-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by 2plankx
By the way, tteel, could you please pass along the part number, or something, so I could get a line on the intercooler insert?
That one I purchased off ebay from sleek auto accessories. The only thing is with this one you have to drill holes into the bumper insert (1/8") and the screws are a little tough at first. For price wise I would get this one as the carriage works is $100 more, but I don't think the carriage works requires drilling... I'm fine with the 1/8" drill holes as you cant see them...

Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks much tteel....I'll check those out. Are they plastic or aluminum?
When I first saw yours I just assumed it was a Ford OEM part because the opening looks ready made for some thing. There a a couple of slots along the bottom edge of the opening and places on the side that appear to be for attachment of something?
I wonder if there are any Ford part gurus here, with minds like steel traps, who might be able to shed some light on this?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by yellowsvt_03
Anyone with the carriage works care to do the math, give us the thickness of the bars, and how many there are and I will do the math if you want.
I would help you if I had a micrometer.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by tteel
That one I purchased off ebay from sleek auto accessories. The only thing is with this one you have to drill holes into the bumper insert (1/8") and the screws are a little tough at first. For price wise I would get this one as the carriage works is $100 more, but I don't think the carriage works requires drilling... I'm fine with the 1/8" drill holes as you cant see them...
No drilling needed with the carriage works part.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost/Airflow/Front License Plate