can my F-150 pull this camper?

Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was hauling at max GVWR if not over on the trailer (#6000+) and this was back around 1990 and I had to take this trailer to a job site that needed it's contents the day before!! So I had time to unhitch the trailer I came in with, hitch up this one and hit the road... I found out the electric brakes were not working on my first attempt to stop with the 'new' trailer... Damn near hit the truck in front of me... But, being young and "on the clock" with a 300 mile trip ahead of me, I pressed on..

My brakes faded each time I had to apply them more then once in a short period of time.. Hence, the pucker ride! And this was with a 3/4 ton Ford Econoline Van.. Oh, yeah, the van was packed full and over it's GVWR too!

I've towed over #6000 with a bumper hitch before too.. Working for the same construction company in the late 80's, early 90's and I survived, but it sure put a lot of 'conservative' thinking in my brain from then on!

To the OP... Sure, you could probably do this and get lucky.... I've done it before too...

But the E250 van I had was brand new (1989), had an automatic and a 351 under the hood... (yet, I was pulling grades in 1st gear going 25 mph with the rpms in the 5 grand + range.. It had less hp then my old 5.4 has..)

You can't get a flat 4 to do E brakes, so you'd have to manually wire in the BC wiring to make it work.. Hooking on the bumper, will probably make it nose high and that's gonna really suck towing if you have to go over 40 mph...

Rent, borrow, steal an F350 and you'll be okay...

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 02-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instead of going to U-Haul and spending $150 on a hitch, go to U-Haul and rent a truck that can safely tow the trailer.

I agree a V6 manual can physically tow the weight down the road. But....it won't be happy on any hills. And the braking situation would be way up high on my concerns, followed by the clutch, then by the tranny.

There's a reason you don't find towing packages on 5 speed V6's. Hint: The bumper hitch is not the weakest link.

If you have to back that thing up any kind of an incline with with an already hot clutch, it could toast the clutch in nothing flat.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
x2. It CAN do it, but not safely

Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Well, I just got home about an hour ago, normally its a three hour ride but this one took a little over 4, and I made it with no mishaps. I got the tow package installed yesterday for 200 bucks with hitch and all. I had hell finding one for a newer odel truck even at uhaul. It still dropped the back of the truck about 3 inches when I hooked up to it, but not too too bad. I took the hitch and flipped the ball around so it sat about as high as the bumper, but I took the backroads (the paved ones) because I had no brakes or lights on it. Stopping was not really a problem as long as I just did it as far in advance as I could. I had trouble wiring the 7-pin up and said screw it. I did use about a quarter tank of gas than I normally would. And I kept it at 55 the whole way in 4th. Going up hills was a problem, apparently the backroad way to my house was ALOT more steep hills than the usual way. I'd have to drop it in third sometimes to make it up em. Stopping was not really a problem as long as I just did it as far in advance as I could. It sucked the 30 mins. or so that I was on the freeway in texas because trucks and 18 wheelers would blow by doing about 70-80mph and I could feel the *** end of it sway. Sway control would have been nice then for sure. I was glad to hit the state line where it drops back to 55mph in louisiana. If I was going anywhere else but home I would not have even tried this, but I did'nt really have a choice. I figure all my stuff in the camper was probably 500-1000 lbs and with the camper at 6200 thats like 7000 or so that it pulled. 60mph was the max that I had it on the freeway and that was scary. Maybe it would go faster but no way was I gonna try it. Anyways thanks for the help 2008xl, my bumper would have been bent bad trying to pull that thing and the tow package was definately a must. If I was going anywhere else but home I would not have even tried this, but I did'nt really have a choice. And if you're ever in a pinch and have to move something heavy at least you know your truck can pull 7000 or so (as long as you take it easy) with no damage to the tranny or suspension. Thanks again for the info guys.

Last edited by ghostsoldier; 02-12-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can do anything once... And get away with it... Done that too many times to count in my life!

Sounds like you realize the limits of it none the less, so that's all that really matters...

That's what I learned from my 'one time' experiences too, and I'm still here to tell the tails of them...

Mitch

Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad is all worked out for you. Did you have the Class IV hitch installed? The Class III that I have are really easy to find. Guess maybe the IV aren't too popular with half tons.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
All I could find was the class 3. Most places did not have them for newer model trucks, just older ones. I had to go to a place called trailer hitch depot to find one, all they do is hitches so it wasnt a problem there. It is only rated for 6000 but I know I had at least 7000 hooked up to it and it did just fine. Did'nt drop the back end too bad, maybe three inches but after I flipped the ball around on the hitch it brought it up almost as high as the bumper.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM
ok can my f150 pull my boat ....

hi guys the info onthis site is extremely useful and everybdy's input is what makes it work so well. after having read this question i have one. I have a 97 short box reb cag flareside 4.2 with a four speed auto, the truck has a class three hitch on it i will have to wire a seven into five for my trailer. I also have a 21 foot boat on a tandem trailer with brakes. the boat on trailer is about 3700 lbs dry. i have checked my axle weights and towing capacity and I under the weight by at least 1800-2000 lbs. does anyone see a problem with my truck doing the job. It only has to go one trip in the spring andone tripin the fall 130 miles each way please let me know what u think ....thanks

Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
No problem, yours should be rated for about 5000#. I'd lock it out of overdrive just to be safe.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by glc
No problem, yours should be rated for about 5000#. I'd lock it out of overdrive just to be safe.
I agree. You'll definitely be fine pulling that.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
My own experience with my '99 4.2 with 4-spd auto and 3.55 rear end: I towed our small "hybrid" travel trailer - gross weight about 3500 lbs. - from North Carolina to Key West and back. Obviously no mountains or even hills to speak of, and Interstate almost all the way, except for occasional side trips and, of course, Highway 1 through the Keys.

Yes, the truck did it. Yes, it was working hard. It would hold about 65mph on a straight and level with no headwind, with the "overdrive" turned off, but any wind or hill would slow it down. Mileage was 7 - 8 mpg.

Now, lest you think my '99 is an "old rag", it's in great shape. Unless you look very closely at the paint, you might think it's perfect. The engine was completely and professionally rebuilt about 1,000 miles ago, and runs perfectly. It's actually quicker off the line than a friend's 2008 5.4! The transmission is fine, as are all the other mechanicals and electrical systems.

After doing some research, I find that Ford rated this truck for a "Standard Towing" weight of 2,300 lbs, with a Maximum of 7,300 lbs. In theory, at least, this means that the truck should be able to tow 2,300 lbs. with little or no problem, and while it will tow the 7,300 lb. weight, it would be best to limit it to short distance towing. Weights in between these values will obviously affect the truck's performance accordingly. The towing weight of my trailer was more than 1,000 lbs. over the "Standard" weight. This is 20% of the "towing range", and it gave a rather severe workout to the truck.

I don't think I want to do that again. I'm going to limit any further trips with this truck-trailer combination to relatively short distances; those that can be covered in a days drive or less. Going back to the original question in this thread, I don't think I'd want to try to tow #6,000 for very far with a 4.2!

I love my old truck. I fully expect it to last at least another ten years, with reasonable care and barring any disasters. But, I will respect its limitations in the future, and not subject it to work beyond its capabilities.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Thumbs down Short haul, probably okay

Originally Posted by ghostsoldier
Hello, I am a newbie when it comes to towing stuff and I have a question for anyone that can help. I have a 2008 ford F-150 V-6 stick shift. 4.6 I think is the engine. The GVWR on the door sticker is 6500lbs. I have a 30 foot travel trailer that has GVWR of 6200 on the campers info sticker. I'm not sure but I'm guessing this is what it weighs? Anyhow, I don't have a tow package just a bumper pull, which says 5,000lbs on it. do you think I can tow this for three hours and not burn up my clutch or tranny? Its mostly flat as I'm going from east texas to Louisiana in it. And I plan on taking it slow. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Along with my other post in this thread, I would like to add this. I guess you're driving on I-10, Houston to, say, Lafayette? Or I-20, Dallas to Shreveport. Either way, it's a fairly easy drive, straight and flat. Fine, you should make it with no real problems, as far as the truck itself is concerned.

BUT!! and this is a biggie - do NOT try to pull a 6,000 lb. trailer on a bumper-mounted hitch! You should have at least a Class 3 hitch, and preferably an equalizer hitch. Also, you absolutely must have some sort of hookup for trailer brakes, because the truck's brakes alone will be totally inadequate.

I would suggest, as previously stated, you rent a truck with proper towing capacity and equipment for this pull.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
The 2300# rating is for the 3.08 axle. With 3.55's and an automatic, your max tow is in the 5000# range.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ExTex
My own experience with my '99 4.2 with 4-spd auto and 3.55 rear end: I towed our small "hybrid" travel trailer - gross weight about 3500 lbs. - from North Carolina to Key West and back. Obviously no mountains or even hills to speak of, and Interstate almost all the way, except for occasional side trips and, of course, Highway 1 through the Keys.

Yes, the truck did it. Yes, it was working hard. It would hold about 65mph on a straight and level with no headwind, with the "overdrive" turned off, but any wind or hill would slow it down. Mileage was 7 - 8 mpg.

Now, lest you think my '99 is an "old rag", it's in great shape. Unless you look very closely at the paint, you might think it's perfect. The engine was completely and professionally rebuilt about 1,000 miles ago, and runs perfectly. It's actually quicker off the line than a friend's 2008 5.4! The transmission is fine, as are all the other mechanicals and electrical systems.

After doing some research, I find that Ford rated this truck for a "Standard Towing" weight of 2,300 lbs, with a Maximum of 7,300 lbs. In theory, at least, this means that the truck should be able to tow 2,300 lbs. with little or no problem, and while it will tow the 7,300 lb. weight, it would be best to limit it to short distance towing. Weights in between these values will obviously affect the truck's performance accordingly. The towing weight of my trailer was more than 1,000 lbs. over the "Standard" weight. This is 20% of the "towing range", and it gave a rather severe workout to the truck.

I don't think I want to do that again. I'm going to limit any further trips with this truck-trailer combination to relatively short distances; those that can be covered in a days drive or less. Going back to the original question in this thread, I don't think I'd want to try to tow #6,000 for very far with a 4.2!

I love my old truck. I fully expect it to last at least another ten years, with reasonable care and barring any disasters. But, I will respect its limitations in the future, and not subject it to work beyond its capabilities.
Not sure why you're having issues, but my truck tows 3500# with out an issue and that's with a 5 speed manual transmission.

As glc stated, 3.55 with auto can tow 5000#

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can my F-150 pull this camper?