4.2 problems limited to '97?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they must have gotten most of the problems worked out by mid-year of 98. I bought my 99 in December of 98, it was a fall production one that wasn't involved in any of the recalls. Except for the drivers side door cracking right where it was supposed to, and a tendency to knock and ping when it gets cool and dry (suspected computer glitch running up the timing a bit too far), I really haven't had any problems to speak of with the truck.

-------------------------
99 F150 SS, SC, 4.2, auto, 3.55, xlt
K&N filter,
Soon to come:
Superchip
ILUVNOSs FIPK
Distant future:
Custom Turbo kit or trade it in on a Mazda Tribute. Can't decide.

Old 12-24-2000, 10:49 AM
I have a '99 and have almost 60000 on it. I drive it like hell. Did you know these things have a rev limiter?
The only problem i have had started about two weeks ago(see Help Quickly, Shudder Missing), but other than this missing terribly thing its the only problem I have had. I love my V6 and would not have anything but a Ford.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 sport package,4.2 V6
planning lots of mods
So far:Panasonic in dash off road CD player, 85 watt driving lights, diamond blue headlights 55 low 100 high, 55 watt driving lights on rear, added switch panel above radio (chrome!), added fuse box for new acc., floormats, Class III reciever, Y pack to dual 13" tips.
Future:8" straight axle lift, 37" SSRs

[This message has been edited by Turtle174 (edited 12-24-2000).]

Old 12-24-2000, 10:58 AM
Well, My 99 has a bit over 33K on it, mostly driving the pothole riddled streets of New Orleans, and still runs great. I've kept up with the regular maint. schedule and haven't had any major problems with it. I haven't ever experienced the surging or hesitation that you are talking about with this vehicle. However, I used to have a 92 tempo GL (although I'm loathed to admit it) and that maint. nightmare of a car used to do it a lot. It turned out to be a combination of things, including: A poor ground on the fuel pump, three shorts in the chassis wiring, a bad ECU, and the need for an early tune-up. We finally got that miserable peice of cr@p working long enough for the tranny to start giving problems and the AC to die. The gist of the story, take a good, long look at your electrical wiring. Look for: shorts, abrasions, loose grounds, and anything out of the ordinary. These electronic engine control systems are super-sensitive to these sorts of things, and given that you've already hit hte obvious stuff, start there. Heck, I've even seen rust on the hinges of the wagon gate on a 78 Fairmont Wagon cause the reverse lights to turn on the brake lights. Try that one on your mechanic!

Old 12-24-2000, 01:51 PM
Ford must design engine front-ends like swiss cheeze. It seems like whenever a timing cover leak occurs, bearing failure soon follows.

Spend 20 bucks and have an oil sample run before and after you have your timing cover (or any other coolant leak -- for that matter) fixed -- and look for any water/antifreeze in the oil as documentation -- should you find that you're added to the growing list of those with major engine problems after being serviced for coolant leaks.

------------------
Y2K™ 7700 4x4
Jim - N8JG@Hotmail.com

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Quick Reply: 4.2 problems limited to '97?