4.2 problems limited to '97?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the timing chain gasket replaced on my 97 Ford V6 on 1/31/00 @45thou, I notice it was still losing anti-freeze, so back I went to Ford, they said it blow the #3 piston head gasket....that fixed the leak for good!!! Ford said it was not the trucks fault.. (I say BULL SH@T..so the warranty I bought fixed it) Plus they left my parts in the weather for 3 mouths, that got me a new trans out of Fords pocket. The truck runs GREAT now.

Old 10-05-2000, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the guys who's trucks jerk at 50-60, I had a friend whos did the same thing. Took it to the dealer about 5 times, never an explaination. Then a guy told him to switch brands of fuel then when that didn't work said try higher octane. He uses 91 now and it doesn't skip a beat. Yall might try that.

Old 10-05-2000, 09:42 PM
Waldo0506: shotgunning your problem in addition to the previous suggestion is that you look into a breakdown in something between the coil and spark plug. Part-throttle like you're doing going up a hill is one of the hardest to start and burn a good flame propagation. It does sound 'burn'-related -- and that is everything from the coil to the fuel.

Before you go spending lotza-bux on an electonic engine diagnostic, try ffdemos' fuel -- and if no change, try gasohol -- since it is much slower-burning and often masks engine pinging (besides -- it's a cheap way of putting gasline antifreeze in).

------------------
Y2K™ Jim

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 10-06-2000, 11:08 PM
Angry

I just had my timing cover gasket changed, two weeks ago and now I have a knocking sound in my engine. The dealer said it sounds like a mid-engine bearing going out. Does anyone know if the work they did could have caused this. I change my oil very often,and I only have 69,585 miles on it. The noise has a tapping sound and you can really hear it when I rebb up the motor but you can't hear it at idle. I also have good oil pressure.

Old 10-07-2000, 08:32 PM
Angry

my 97 needs a new engine at 40,000 MILES and ford denies it is related to the coolant leak, yet they are willing to pay $2000 towards fix. had our leak fixed before the recall, took it back in a few months later for leak and they said it was fine then the erratic oil pressure and knocking started. they want us to cover about $500 of the repairs. i don't think so!! anybody buying 97's check and recheck the coolant leak/engine issue! rhonda

Old 10-16-2000, 03:32 PM
Exclamation

I just took my '97 4.2L V6 XL in for the Lug Nut recall and the Gasket recall. After about 2 hours the dealership called and informed me that the engine needed to be replaced. They stated that Ford is picking up the tab. No ifs, ands, or buts, about it. I have seen a lot of postings with people having the same type of problems and fighting with Ford for resolve. Am I missing something?

I didn't really have any problems with oil consumption, fuel mileage, or power. I did have a problem with engine hesitation while attempting to accelerate uphill. The engine light set, but went off after a few days and the problem seemed to have disappeared. It returned a few weeks later and the engine light set again. Same situation as last. It cleared after a few days.

Old 10-17-2000, 01:51 AM
Exclamation

What was the date of the recall? Im having the same problems. Light comes off then goes off, No power on take off, stalls and idles very rough . It seems to run fine at highr rpm's. Humm - Im 5000 miles out of my warranty. What should I do?
Ed

[This message has been edited by getsumbaby (edited 10-17-2000).]

Old 11-15-2000, 12:32 AM
Cool

I have a '97 4.2L with a 5 speed and I rag the hell out of it and haven't had a problom in the 104K miles that I've put on it so far. (exept I just found out the heater isn't working)Which is more that anyone can ask out of any vehicle the way I treat it.

'97 Midnight Blue Flareside V6 5-speed.True duel exaust,K&N filter,Ram air hood, tinted windows, custom stereo with a 6disk alpime and 2 image dynamic 10"subs,Alarm, bed liner, Dropped 2" in the rear,Ram air hood, power slotted front brake rotors,18inch American racing polished nitro's with perelli scorpian tires, and also a trailer hitch.

Old 11-18-2000, 10:55 PM
Thumbs up

I've not had any probs with mine. I guess that I've been lucky in that I've taken mine in for recall work before anything has happened. I've got about 55k on mine now and my only issue is with the usual tranny noise that I've had since day 1, and the low RPM power lag. The gear that I added worked wonders and wouldn't switch and would reccomend to all. My next step is to install the 4.56's that have been in the garage for a couple of weeks now.

------------------
LILPETE
97 F-150 XLT Supercab 2x4
4.2ltr 5spd, Portifino blue w/ black bottom.
3.5" Fabtech Suspension,
33" BFG's on 16x8 Alcoa's
Airraid, superchip, Gibson cat-back w/ tips, Bushwhacker flares, Steelhorse steps for all 3 doors, window & hood deflectors, color-matched Tri-Glass Hard tonnue, Pedaliner, Custom billet shifter, ****, & pads, indiglo guage cluster, carbon-fiber dash, blue interior lights, Huskey floor pans, and overhead shelf.

Old 11-19-2000, 01:38 AM
this is kinda a far reach but what ive noticed is the people that run their engine a little harder dont seem to have as many problems as the people that so to speak "baby" them. I rag the hell out of mine and really have it tow a lot of weight and run it through mud and it seems to me that everyday it gets stronger. anyone else realize this??

Old 11-19-2000, 07:34 AM
Superfreak-
I treat mine the same way and no problems yet with 26,300 miles on it. These things are not ment to be babied.

------------------

2000 F-150 Supercab
Toreado Red
4.2l V6
Flowmaster 40 series single in dual out
K&N aif filter
Class III reciever Hitch
Mobil1 Synthetic
tazman1969g@netscape.net Home

norman.green@equistarchem.com work

[This message has been edited by TAZMAN (edited 11-19-2000).]

Old 11-19-2000, 02:15 PM
I agree with the two previous posters about people really working these motors and having fewer problems thn the people who baby them.I have first hand experience with this(only on a chevy v-6) I actually dated a girl who had the exact same car as me.The miles on them were also real close.The only diff. in the cars is mine was a stick and hers was an automatic.I drove the sh** out of mine,***** to the walls all the time.She babied hers.Her car was in and out of the shop all the time(no tranny probs, just motor stuff) I ended up trading this car off(came to my senses and bought my first f150) with 138,000 miles on it.That thing ran as good as the day I bought it (50,000 miles on it when I purchased it).I have to talked to the new owners a couple of times and that car is up to 175,000 and still no trouble. I really am a believer that motors need to be worked.

Old 11-19-2000, 10:35 PM
Well, I do not know about the "babied vs. rag the hell out of it theory". For the third time my truck is leaking coolant. Now, I really have not worked my truck at all. So, I guess that is in support of the "babied" theory! Still, if the gasket had of been put on right, there would not be a problem. I do have a lot of miles 99K+. But, I think the truck should at least go 150K with out any major problems. I am so pissed that this has happened again! Going back to the Ford House tomorrow. See my post "3 strikes" and I will keep those interested informed.

Old 12-19-2000, 08:15 PM
I just remebered that my 98 4.2 v6 actually had the bracket that holds the dipstick break.It was only held in place by where it goes into the motor. I took it in for a new bracket. Ford orded one(2 month wait) and I traded it off after 1 1/2 months on my y2k.I think this is a rare problem.

------------------
-----------------------
2000 f150 4x4 sport,black, 3.55 5spd ,4.2 liters of fury ----mods----
stereo,pioneer cd,cadance ultradrive amps,alpine 12 sub,eclipse mids&tweetsAppearance: profile bug guard,smoked headlight covers,Gts tailblazerII taillight covers painted to match truck,blue cargo lights,chrome exhaust tipFunctional:265/75 pirelli scorpion at,cranked torsion bars,black Delta tool box,valley towing class III reciever hitch,herculiner bed liner,taz floor mats Performance: Jet reusable air filter,modified airbox(crash1style)Coming Soon supercharger, jba headers,throttle body spacer,ravin cat back,superchips

Old 12-20-2000, 12:39 AM
I wouldn't worry about having problems based on other peoples problems unless the percentage is really extraordinary. The only problem I've had with mine was a messed up AC sensor when it was 2 months old. So not all the '97 4.2s have problems. I used to put heavy miles on it too. I just passed 81,000 this week. And I've only put about 8000 on it this year.

------------------
1997 F150 SuperCab
1999 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Quick Reply: 4.2 problems limited to '97?