Air Intake help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Intake help

ok, so I just got a free intake from my buddy that was taken off of his v8 f150, I havent been able to get a good picture of a v6 intake so does anyone know the real difference, the piping and all looks the same, but from what i can tell it looks at if the vaccum hose connections are 3 on the v8 one and 1 on the v6....correct me if i am wrong but someone help me please.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:17 PM
does anyone have this answer???

Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Well I'm not sure on how many are on the v8 since I don't have one but this is a pic of my intake and there is only 1 vac line going to it. It connects on the inside part of the bend in the pipe just before the throttlebody.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Got it

Well I have reado some places that you can use a v8 97-03 f150 intake for a v6 intake....i mean the only difference i can see between those, is that the v8 one has 3 connections and the v6 one has 2 meaning the clip and the vaccum. with i guess a little modification it can work

Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 AM
I do know a guy who used an intake from an explorer on his Ranger, he just used rubber plugs to fill the excess holes. I assume you could do the same.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the comments, I figured I should be able to use it, I am putting it on this week so I will take some pictures and show you all...also, do any of you all know where i can get an A/C control panel with a different color, I just repainted some of my dash pieces to silver, and I really want a white A/C dash cluster and billet *****.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
New member question;

What do you think is a better set up, the so-called CAI (even though it sucks in engine compartment hot air, I live in Houston, TX), or the gott's mod that still sucks air from outside fender?

I understand that with a V6, we are not going to see huge jumps either way. I do have a drop in K&N already

Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I live in alvin tx, and i just put an airraid cai on my truck it makes a huge difference over stock and a good improvement over a k&n drop in

Originally Posted by FlashmasterK
New member question;

What do you think is a better set up, the so-called CAI (even though it sucks in engine compartment hot air, I live in Houston, TX), or the gott's mod that still sucks air from outside fender?

I understand that with a V6, we are not going to see huge jumps either way. I do have a drop in K&N already

Old 03-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Does your CAI have the air dam to block some of the engine compartment air?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 PM
no it doesnt i didnt use it, with the filter stock i got about 18mpg on the hwy with the k&n i got 20 mpg on the hwy and with the cai im getting 23.8 mpg hwy at 70 mph it made an unbeliveable diference

Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by southrnduckhunt
ok, so I just got a free intake from my buddy that was taken off of his v8 f150, I havent been able to get a good picture of a v6 intake so does anyone know the real difference, the piping and all looks the same, but from what i can tell it looks at if the vaccum hose connections are 3 on the v8 one and 1 on the v6....correct me if i am wrong but someone help me please.
i know the 4.6 and the 4.2 had the same intake tube for awhile so the cold air intake should work fine if its off a 4.6L.

Originally Posted by wutecht
no it doesnt i didnt use it, with the filter stock i got about 18mpg on the hwy with the k&n i got 20 mpg on the hwy and with the cai im getting 23.8 mpg hwy at 70 mph it made an unbeliveable diference
i can vouch for those numbers. my 04 f150 heritage 4.2L reg cab longbed 2wd 5 spd 3.08 rearend got about 17.9 stock combined, K&N drop in went up to 19.9 and K&N CAI went up to 22.5 combined. probably in the 24-25mpg neighborhood at 65mph on the highway. when i traded in my 04 for my 08, i took the intake off and had to make it fit. stock i got about 17.5 combined. now getting about 19.9 combined in summer. it is reg cab shortbed 2wd 4.2L 5spd 3.55LS rear. also it is higher off the ground which hurts it a little plus it weighs about 450Lbs more than my 04. both trucks i could play around all day and still get above 17mph in the summer. my 04 i used the air dam but my 08 the spacing was different so i couldnt use it. doesnt really do much anyways. i ran a flex tube from behind my front bumper to my filter so it gets the same outside air like the gotts. the flex tube helps a little bit at speed but off the line it does nothing. but the intake is a nice power add-on.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the rubber plugs work to fill in the unused holes but they dry out and crack which can make rubber pieces get sucked in or you could get a vacuum leak. my 04 had the plug like 97XLs, my 08 does not so i plugged it with the rubber plugs. not even 6 months later they were starting to crack. so i took them out, and wrapped about 6 layers of duct tape over the hole. it doesnt look pretty but it works. you could use chrome duct tape to make it match better.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Since yall dont have the air damn, I wonder if there is a difference between the CAI and taking a jig saw and cutting off the shroud, after the clamp, around the filter.

I saw someone do it in another post but couldnt find it. The big knock against it was that it sucked in hot air from the engine. But yall are saying the added benifit is worth the small amout of hot air

I already have a K&N filter, which made some difference. I am trying to do this on the cheap.

The other part of the CAI is the air tube leading to the throttle body. The stock is a 3" tube. How much difference will a shiny tube make?

Thanks guys!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by FlashmasterK
Since yall dont have the air damn, I wonder if there is a difference between the CAI and taking a jig saw and cutting off the shroud, after the clamp, around the filter.

I saw someone do it in another post but couldnt find it. The big knock against it was that it sucked in hot air from the engine. But yall are saying the added benifit is worth the small amout of hot air

I already have a K&N filter, which made some difference. I am trying to do this on the cheap.

The other part of the CAI is the air tube leading to the throttle body. The stock is a 3" tube. How much difference will a shiny tube make?

Thanks guys!
the airraid kit is $314.00 chrome shiny may look nice but it heats up easyier i got mine in black

Quick Reply: Air Intake help