Flushing the coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Flushing the coolant?

Well mine is REALLY dirty and I've been diluting it more and more everytime I add water so one thing I want to do before I move to tally is a coolant flush. Dealer wants $120 + tax. Anyone have a write-up on this or a simple process?

-Alex

Old 07-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think first you should find out why you are always having to add water...

Old 07-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Head to an autoparts store and pick up a 2 bottles each of the Prestone Coolant Flush and cleaner. And I think our trucks call for about 8 or 9 gallons of coolant. Pull your plug on your radiator (located on bottom passenger side on backside of radiator). Drain all antifreeze before you behind the flush. Follow the instructions on the backs of the bottles. And I think that is all. Isn't too hard. Just make sure you run the water through it for awhile.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Ford makes "stop leak" pellets for the coolant system.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
And I think our trucks call for about 8 or 9 gallons of coolant.
I think you mean 8 or 9 quarts...

Old 07-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
I think you mean 8 or 9 quarts...
It's whatever the size jugs you buy at the autoparts store. I'm pretty sure my manual said 20 liters, which is around that in gallons....I may be wrong. That was to completely fill the radiator and top the reservior to the cold fill line.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I tried draining my coolant by removing the radiator plug, but didn't get much coolant out. I was unable to remove the block drain plug (I quit trying after breaking a tool on it). I'm guessing removing the block plug will allow you to drain much more coolant.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
Buy a Prestone coolant flush kit - it's a tee you put in a heater hose and connect a garden hose to. Follow the instructions. Your capacity is 20 quarts, which is 5 gallons. Normally, you should use a 50% mix, but you don't need it that strong in Florida. Buy 2 gallons of straight coolant.

Note that doing it yourself this way is hazardous to the environment, if you care. Antifreeze is toxic waste.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 PM

dave, I meant to say like every few months I'd add a few cups of water to keep it at the cold fill line.

glc, does the residue dimply drain on the ground? If the dealer does it and its an environmental issue, shouldn't they accept the waste from home-doers?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dosen't antifreeze also raise the boiling point of straight water?

Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
dave, I meant to say like every few months I'd add a few cups of water to keep it at the cold fill line.

glc, does the residue dimply drain on the ground? If the dealer does it and its an environmental issue, shouldn't they accept the waste from home-doers?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dosen't antifreeze also raise the boiling point of straight water?
Anti freeze does raise the boiling point (as does keeping the radiator under pressure). It also inhibits corrosion and has lubricants for your water pump.

Straight water may be able to hold more heat and transfer more heat than a mix of water/anti freeze, so, in theory, your motor can run cooler with straight water. That is why if you don't need the extra boil over and freezing protection, you should consider running less than a 50/50 mix.

GLC is basically advising a 40% mix, which saves you some money as you don't have to buy a 3rd gallon of anti freeze.

Part of why the dealer charges so much is they have to properly dispose of the anti-freeze.

IMO, you should not dispose of it on the ground. It is hazardous to animals, who may try to drink it. If there is no place that will take it for free, I would drain the old coolant into a large container. After you fill the radiator with new coolant and distilled water (tap water may have excess minerals), pour the old coolant into the jugs your new coolant and water came in, and dispose of it with your household trash.

This might not be legal everywhere, but is probably a good, low risk, low hassle solution for many.

If you are flushing the radiator with a hose type flush kit, I would drain as much of the cooling system as I could into a container before starting the flush. Once the flush is going, I would not worry too much about the highly diluted coolant/water mixture that pours out as you finish the flushing. The level of coolant in that is going to be fairly small. Basically, use common sense on that part of it.

Last edited by dirt bike dave; 07-16-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 PM

^^ Thats exactly of what I was thinking, thank you. Will be doing this and some other things hopefully before the big move.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
If you are flushing the radiator with a hose type flush kit, I would drain as much of the cooling system as I could into a container before starting the flush. Once the flush is going, I would not worry too much about the highly diluted coolant/water mixture that pours out as you finish the flushing. The level of coolant in that is going to be fairly small. Basically, use common sense on that part of it.
I have a 04(OBS) and cannot locate the radiator cap. I even removed the top panel to get to the radiator. Do I have one, is it on the top or bottom?

Also I will be using the radiator flush kit(hose, etc.), where does this need to be inserted? I see two hoses(on top) going to the radiator, one on the pass. side other on driver.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:56 PM
glc
The cap on top of the reservoir *IS* your radiator cap.

The flush kit installs in a HEATER hose - the instructions will tell you which one.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by glc
The cap on top of the reservoir *IS* your radiator cap.

The flush kit installs in a HEATER hose - the instructions will tell you which one.
Does distilled water still need to be used if Im using the cleaner and flush?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 PM
glc
If you want to be fussy, when you are through flushing, drain both the radiator and block and use distilled water with your coolant.

Quick Reply: Flushing the coolant?