2003 4.2l v6 tach help

Old 12-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any f150 or Expy cluster from 99-03 will plug right in, Ford should be able to reset your mileage on the new cluster from the old one. Those that have 97-98 with the old analog odometers will find it harder to find a matching cluster and you're stuck with whatever mileage is showing.

Preston03 try searching for this on ebay f150 instrument cluster I got 16 hits.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:25 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Hold the odo reset button in and turn on the key. When it reads "test" release the button. Start pushing the button till it reads "tach" then start the engine.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I was in the junkyard today and was getting a connector for a turn signal when I decided to peek in the cab of a totalled 98 F-150 XLT. Sure enough, it has an analog odo and a tach! I run out to my car, grab the tools, and start wrenching away:

I already ordered some white 197-LEDs to replace the burnt out bulbs behind it. Going to install this weekend! Luckily it says 121XXX while my truck has around 172XXX

Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I've got a 98 without the tach in the cluster and I added one in about an hour. It's a small 2-1/2" job mounted neatly to my column. Piece of cake to install. I was in there replacing my dash bulbs and found that the white wire with the pink stripe that comes off the PCM comes all the way to the dash so I just used a vampire tap and bit into it. To illuminate it I tapped the blue wire with the red stripe that delivers power to the dash bulbs. That way it's on the dimmer. I grabbed power from an "Add a line" fuse from the parts store. Piece of cake.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MI02SVT
i need some help on my tach the problem is i dont have one lol i want to hook one up but i dont know where to hook it too seens how i have a coil pack and not a distributor my truck is the base model f-150 xl anyone done this before
2 things ...
1)yes i have done it. you need a tachometer that uses "inductive pickup" which means it picks up the rpms off of the spark plug wire. i had an 04 f150 heritage(97-03 style) XL. search for "Iequus" at i think it was www dot carparts dot com or .net i ordered it from for about $60 plus shipping. it comes with i 2 plugs with wires attached. it works off of inductive pickup or off the distributor(you dont have one). all you do is mount it where you want plug in the plug with the power ground and a brown wire with a white clip on it(white clip goes over spark plug wire). there will be a green wire too, you wont be using this. but power it from your battery and ground it under your dashboard. you can either wire it up so it turns on with the ignition swith or hook it to 1 or 2 toggle switches(because it has a backlight too which you can choose 1 of 4 colors) 2 toggle switches if you want control over the tach seperate from the backlight, or just one if you want both at the same time. but you would turn it on a few seconds before you start the engine. or...
2) use your digital tachometer. here is how you do that. put key in ignition but do not turn it, press and hold the trip odometer reset button and turn the key to ON! DO NOT START ENGINE YET! after 5 seconds the odometer will change into "TEST" once it says this, release the button and press it as many times as it takes till it says TACH or TAC with 0000 after it. then start your engine. and thats it. it works on all ford trucks from 97 and up that have the digital odometer. this process will not harm anything at all. this process will not reset your trip odometer. while in the test mode you cannot go back to see the mileage. when you turn off the engine the process resets so the next time you start it, it will have miles on it. you must do this process every time before starting if you want the tach. also has a few tests that look like aztec stuff, but also has some you will notice. you can check if any dash bulbs are out, and test to make sure the gauges are getting power and a few other things. but there is no fuel mileage or anything of that sort unless you get the upgraded truck's cluster. hope this helps. any questions just ask me

Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 AM

good info timmy, but the digital odometer wasnt available until 99+ the 1997-1998 had analog readout. kinda funny since my buddies '95 has digital...

Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
good info timmy, but the digital odometer wasnt available until 99+ the 1997-1998 had analog readout. kinda funny since my buddies '95 has digital...
funny thing is my 08 f150 has a tach and it still has the digital tach. kind of cool to compare to each other lol.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by timmypstyle
funny thing is my 08 f150 has a tach and it still has the digital tach. kind of cool to compare to each other lol.
I do that with my ScanGauge as well...

Old 04-05-2009, 04:49 PM
i have a monster tach from auto gauge in my 4.2 and i just tapped pin 46 on the pcm and grabbed the power and switched power off a near by fuse it works like a top and for free for the tach how can any one complain

Old 01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
To put odometer in tach mode turn truck off push and hold reset button on dash while holding the button turn key on but do not start vehicle ( hold About 5 seconds) when the odometer flashes TEST start the engine then you can scroll through to tac and other programs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 4.2l v6 tach help