FFV Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FFV Gas Mileage

Hi all,
I have had V6, Non-FFV V8, and two different FFV V8's.
The issue I am having is I think that a FFV V8 gets worse gas mileage than the non-FFV, all other things being equal, weight, gas quality, etc.

Has anyone tested any of this?
My thought is, this would be a shame if I get less gas mileage using brand new FFV (the best Ford has to offer) to be "equipped" for E85 than say, a 1975 comparable truck? Newer is supposed to be "better"
My area has only one source of E85 at the moment so using E85 is not the norm around these parts.
On my last fillup I finally bit and tried E85. I swear my truck ran better.
It is very hot and I typically start up and go with the AC full blast. On regular gas, my engine sounds like it is running on 6 cylinders the first few miles. I only have 4K on the truck (new KR). I will mention the roughness before @operating temperature when I go for service. Also, although new, the A/C blows a lot less cold than I expected... from many vehicles and years of driving.... I am sure this hurts my MPG also, the compressor is probably running 100% of the time.

In summary, the data to support how to achieve best gas mileage and green results with F-150's (and FFVS) does not seem to be readily available for my new $40K KR F-150.
Since everyone is so concerned about MPG these days I do not know why FFV and being able to tell whether my truck is at 100% is such a mystery.

My miles is low because I do not drive it much. I did buy the truck just before the oil started skyrocketing....Surely would reconsider now, all things being equal with what I know about the fillup costs.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ffv

Ethanol has much less thermal energy than gasoline. You will need more gas to go the same distance ergo worse gas mileage. It's a joke man.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:55 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
What does this have to do with the V-6 engine?

Using the *SAME* fuel (such as 87 octane E-10), the FFV engine and the gas-only engine should get identical gas mileage and perform identically. Running E-85 in a FFV will get lousy mileage but it will perform better than on 87 octane because E85 is over 100 octane and the knock sensor will allow the timing to advance farther.

Quick Reply: FFV Gas Mileage