where the HECK is that PCV????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where the HECK is that PCV????

Man, I have read all the posts on where this should be, but I still cannot find it. I have a 2003 4.2L.

The only thing the passenger side valve cover is a vacuum connection leading to the throttle body inlet. Its straight thru....no valve.

On the driver side another vacuum tube runs to the intake tube. It also has no valve.

There is nothing I can see on the back of the intake manifold except about 1/2 inch of clearance with the firewall. I really find it hard to believe that the PCV would be put back there where you absolutely cannot reach it.

The emissions sticker shows a PCV connected to manifold vacuum at the front of the vehicle just to the passenger side of the EGR. I simply cannot find it. I've changed camshafts before, so I'm not ignorant about engines. Why can't I find a friggin PCV?????????

Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
I believe it is in fact on the back side, under the throttle body. Haven't tried to find mine - yet.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 PM
My 03 4.6 is the same way...straight thru. I have yet to find placement either.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Guys, The PCV Valve is on the right side of the intake manifold, just behind the throttle body. Follow the hose from the Valve Cover. there is a rubber 45 degree elbow, that connects it to the manifold. the pipe that it is connected too, that also has two water lines going to it IS THE PCV VALVE. the picture shown on the ford parts site is a generic one, and the parts houses other than the dealer will all give you the wrong one.

If I remember the part is EV256, but just go to the dealer and buy what they show listed. When you see it, you will know exactly where it goes. The o-ring around it is probrably leaking which constantly throws 02 sensor codes, and it will fix it.

Been There, chased that, figured it out.

Brad

Old 03-26-2008, 12:40 PM
its actually on the passenger side behind the coil. At least that is where its at on an '01

Old 03-26-2008, 02:50 PM
EXACTLY. the valve on trucks up to 2001 is simple and easy to find and replace. From 2002 forward they went to the heated one, and it is hard to find as the guys had posted before me--- and where I described above.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE]its actually on the passenger side behind the coil. At least that is where its at on an '01[QUOTE]
mine too. its on the back side of the passenger-side valve cover..

Old 03-27-2008, 06:08 AM
.....and also on my '01 it is heated

Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks Brad, I was just about to give up looking for the PCV valve and change the port gaskets and isolation bolts. I've been getting those #!*% codes constantly for a long time. Someone had told me that the 2003's didn't have a PCV valve and that didn't make sense to me either. I may still have to do the gaskets and bolts, but checking the PCV is certainly the right next step. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 AM
When I did my PCV delete I didn't see any valves.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by bradschmidt
Guys, The PCV Valve is on the right side of the intake manifold, just behind the throttle body. Follow the hose from the Valve Cover. there is a rubber 45 degree elbow, that connects it to the manifold. the pipe that it is connected too, that also has two water lines going to it IS THE PCV VALVE. the picture shown on the ford parts site is a generic one, and the parts houses other than the dealer will all give you the wrong one.

If I remember the part is EV256, but just go to the dealer and buy what they show listed. When you see it, you will know exactly where it goes. The o-ring around it is probrably leaking which constantly throws 02 sensor codes, and it will fix it.

Brad
Brad, Thanks for clearing this up. It has been a week since I found the PCV valve and replaced it. You were right, it looks nothing like a normal PCV and even the dealer had to order it from the warehouse. It cost, gulp, $36 and I thought for a second, to just try replacing the O-ring, but decided not to cheap out. No more P0171 and P0174 trouble codes!! I used to have to erase these codes 3-4 times a week while looking in vain for any hint of a vacuum leak. It's been a week and over 200 miles since I changed it out so this definetly fixed the problem!!! Knowing how O-rings work, I put some O-ring lube on the ring prior to inserting it into its holder and tightening the two torx screws holding the valve to the manifold. The two heater hoses are easy to transfer from the old PCV to the new one. I owe you a cold one for sure.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:24 PM
The PCV valve is on the passenger side valve cover (top), all the way in the back. When disconnecting the hose be careful not to brake the plastic attachement, I broke mine and a day later the check engine light came on with a lean code.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Be Aware!

Originally Posted by bradschmidt

Brad

Before buying a EV256, look at the unit. It may be just a vacuum port with heating lines. My 2001 4.2L does NOT have a pcv there, just:
9A474 Connector - Vacuum Tube **3Z-9A474-AA For Valve cover mounted PCV4.2 6 Cyl, Ford 150 Series

So, Anyone know the part number of just the O ring?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can't buy just the O ring, at least not from Ford, I tried.

You may be able to get one from the parts store off of the help section. It needs to be fuel/oil resistant or it won't last.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Oh Well, Thanks.

Quick Reply: where the HECK is that PCV????