Fuel Filter Change

Old 12-31-2004, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Change

I want to change the fuel filter on my 4.2 2000 F150. Well I found where it is located. However, I cannot understand how to remove the fuel line tube connections on either end of the filter. There are metal clamps at the end of the tubes that are stumping me.

Has anyone removed these fuel line tubes and replaced them? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You need a special tool.They sell them at any parts store.There is the plastic type,which I use,and the metal type.Just ask parts dude which of the two he stocks.Then,remove the clips and slide the tool in the fitting,which releases the clamps on the fuel filter.You might need to tug on the connection a bit as you insert the tool.They can be stubborn! Spray some WD-40 in each one before removing.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:32 PM
What is the action for the clip removal? I haven't seen one like this before.
Thanks.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:09 PM
The clips are for safety.They are there to keep the lines attatched to the fuel filter.You simply unhook them and slide them out the way to insert the tool into the connections to release the connections from the fuel filter.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:22 PM
I am going to install a new fuel filter this week as well. I am told that you have to release the pressure in gas line first. They said that there will be a valve under the hood. I have not been able to find it yet. Any help, please?????

Old 01-08-2005, 09:43 PM
The schrader valve (looks like a valve stem) is located on the fuel rail going to the injectors. I never relieve the pressure when I change mine.It takes too long.I have my fuel filter change out time down to 6 minutes or less!

BTW,wear safety glasses and have a few rags handy!

Old 01-10-2005, 02:40 AM
I hate to sound stupid, but what does a fuel rail look like and where is it located? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by MICHAELMEYERS31
I hate to sound stupid, but what does a fuel rail look like and where is it located? Thanks for your help.
You're not being stupid.Thats what we are here for,to help you out.
The fuel rail is a silver tube that connects to the fuel injectors.The fuel injectors are seated into the lower intake. Look between your valve covers and you will see the fuel rail sitting on the injectors. I think the schrader valve is on the drivers side fuel rail.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Yep, driver's side fuel rail. Just look right over top your driver side valve cover for a silver tube. The valve is near the middle of the rail. As was mentioned, it looks like a valve stem on a wheel. What I did was remove the cap and use a small phillips screwdriver to push on the needle in the valve to relieve the fuel pressure. But be ready for fuel to spray up out of the valve. Have a rag handy to hold over it while you do this. Then just do what was said above to change the fuel filter.

WARNING! DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ON A HOT ENGINE!

Let it cool down about an hour before you do this.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks guys for your help. It was quite simple. I only had problems getting one side off, seemed to be stuck. But I did manage to find a method to taking these off. Thanks again.

Old 01-20-2005, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by MICHAELMEYERS31
Thanks guys for your help. It was quite simple. I only had problems getting one side off, seemed to be stuck. But I did manage to find a method to taking these off. Thanks again.
To prevent this from happening in the future spray a little bit of WD-40 in the connections at every oil change.This is what I do and never have problems with the connections.BTW,I change my fuel filter every 3rd oil change!

Old 01-21-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm not recommending this. I am running the factory filter at 181K miles. My belief is that if it will still flow the max required fuel (wide open at high RPMs), it doesn't need replaced. I test this periodically but hooking up my scan tool, graphing either one of the pre-cat O2 sensors, and running wide open through 3500 RPMs. This does two things, first is it demands the maximum fuel flow from the pump and the filter. Second, it forces open loop WOT enrichment which should drive the O2 sensors high. If the O2 sensor goes high and stays there, the pump and filter are fine. If they don't, I'll change my filter.

This may overlook things like the filter's ability to absorb dirt or water or other things I haven't thought of, but it's what I've relied on so far. I'd be interested if someone knows why I should do it different.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:31 PM
yawr250f,you keep using your slide rule and protractors to figure when you need a new fuel filter and i'll keep changing mine every 9-12k miles! Besides, I dont mind spending the $8-10.00 every 3rd oil change!

Old 01-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Fair enough

Old 01-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Fair enough

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Change