Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V6 Engines (including Ecoboost)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-26-2004, 02:21 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Exclamation Idler Pulley

Could someone please tell me what tool you need to remove an idler pulley off of a 97 ford f150 4.2 liter engine? I haven't pulled anything off the engine yet. I looked at it and there appears to be a star head bolt. Please help! Any info would be appreciated. It is squealing badly and I'm afraid it's going to lock up. You can hear the noise from 50 ft. away when the engine is cold, after it warms up the noise quiets somewhat unless you come to a stop, then it gets louder.

Thanks,

millwrightlady
Old 02-26-2004, 07:45 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150
The bolt holding the lower idler pulley has a Torx T-50 head

I took mine off from below.

When you have it off, check the spring tensioner. Mine had corroded enough that it was not freely moving. Some penetrating oil helped it a lot.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:20 PM

It's Not The Idler Pulley

I found out by listening under the truck with a stethoscope that it's the crankshaft, I'm thinking the pulley maybe? It squeals really loudly close to the pulley. I was told that this is the first sign of trouble. One man told me that his sheared off(cranks shaft) shortly after the squealing started. I replaced the idler pulley, after a lot of hassle (I'm a maint. mech. not a truck mech. lol), & changed out the alternator. Has anyone heard of the crankshaft pulley squealing on a 97 f150 4.2 liter? And does anyone know how hard it is to pull this beast off? It looks to be a fair amount of trouble, but like I said I'm not a truck mechanic. Could someone please help? This is my only transportation and as a single working mother it is difficult to keep things going at times. I am very grateful for any advice here. Thanks so much.

millwrightlady
Old 02-26-2004, 08:24 PM

jd40U

>The bolt holding the lower idler pulley has a Torx T-50 head

>I took mine off from below.

>When you have it off, check the spring tensioner. Mine had >corroded enough that it was not freely moving. Some >penetrating
>oil helped it a lot.

Thank so much, you have no idea how much you helped! I got it off and changed it out, only to find out it's the crankshaft pulley squealing! I do appreciate your help.

Millwrightlady
Old 02-29-2004, 09:07 PM

To remove the PULLEY on the 97 is simple, four bolts inside. To remove the balancer behind u need to rent a puller from autozone. Not that hard either. Did u change ur belt. Also if, for some unknown reason it is the pulley, buy a underdrive one. Probably cheaper than a stock pulley, at a dealership. Also this website has tons of info on our trucks v 6 f 1 5 0 . c o m.

Last edited by gunslinger20; 02-29-2004 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:44 AM

Thanks gunslinger20, I was hoping it was going to be easier than I thought. I appreciate the help, and the link.

millwrightlady
Old 03-03-2004, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
Did you find out if the harmonic balance is the culprit? Was the pulley sliding on the belt? Mine squeals loudly (sound like a turbo winding up) when it is really cold out. In warmer weather it has been fine. I've been meaning to change the belt out beacue I have nearly 80K on it and it looks like the tensioner is as far out as possible.

Modified intake and throttle body, 265/75R16 Toyo All Terrains, Spicer greasable U joints & Moog ball joints, Delta toolbox, trans cooler and guage, Magnaflow muffler, Reese Class III hitch.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:23 PM

Yes it was the harmonic balancer. And boy was it a pain to get it off. I also changed out the pulley. Can any of you tell me if the shaft on the power steering pump is supposed to slide in and out of the psp? It's the only pulley on the whole truck that isn't stationary. Thanks

Millwrightlady
Old 03-11-2004, 04:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ford SVT F-150
It's normal for the p/s pump shaft to have some play.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:26 PM

glad I could be of some help. Please tell me u got a underdrive pulley not a stock one. And ya p/s pulley has some play.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 1997 FORD F150
Send a message via AIM to Orange-F150
What is there on the crank pulley to cause it to make noise?Mine is making a bad noise when I start it and it is cold out.Get even worse when I turn the AC on.I was thinking it was either the idler pulley's or the AC compressor pulley?My motor is a 99 by the way, with a new belt.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F-150
Mine squeaks intermittently when I first start it but quits after about 15 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't make any noise. So far I've changed one of the idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley but it didn't help. Now it sounds like it's coming from the water pump. I guess as long as it doesn't get any worse it won't do any damage but I'm used to a quiet engine. Mine has 149,000 miles but it's still an excellent truck. I'm about to make another 3,000 mile trip in it.
Aftermarket power windows and door locks
Older model Ford rails
Street Scene speed grille
Superchip
Cervinis Ram Air hood
DEE ZEE Woodgrain dash kit
Old 10-07-2004, 10:49 PM