EGR Valve ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Valve ?

I replaced the EGR valve on my 97 this time last year for the first time in 4 the years Ive owned it. Since then Ive cleaned it out twice because it was throwing up a code and making my check engine light come on. My question is: What is making this clog up so fast? I was just wondering if I am only fixing the smaller part of a large problem everytime I clean it out. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-27-2003, 08:53 PM
is there a code that specifically says "clogged egr valve"? i don't remember my code number..but my code said "insufficient egr flow" and it ended up being my actual sensor that was bad. since you keep having the problem-- if you haven't tried changing the sensor you might do that because i've heard it's actually a pretty common problem with our trucks. just a thought.

Old 07-27-2003, 09:45 PM
"401 - insufficient egr flow" thats the code I get. I understand the code itself, but I want to know whats causing it.

Old 07-29-2003, 05:35 PM
check the vacuum line coming off the egr. especially where a cluster of them come together they are attached to a hard plastic "tree". mine was broken inside the vacuum line and throwing the same code.

Old 07-30-2003, 09:09 AM
This has happened twice on my truck. Its most likely the DPFE sensor, which Ford has a recall on. Your dealer should replace this for free.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by crashz
This has happened twice on my truck. Its most likely the DPFE sensor, which Ford has a recall on. Your dealer should replace this for free.
I just replaced that(out of pocket ). It still throws up that code. As of now I have replaced that sensor, checked all vacuum lines, cleaned out the egr valve and the tube running from it to the manifold. Im out of Ideas, guess it has to go to the dealership.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:10 AM
Let me know when you find out what is causing it, mine is doing the same thing. I have replaced the sensor, EGR, and vac line. I am out of options. Maybe a bad cat? Where is all this carbon coming from. Only thing I can figure is that the cat is not doing it's job.

CJ

Old 08-07-2003, 06:07 AM
The cat has nothing to do with it as the EGR gets the exhaust long before it reaches the cat. 99% of the time its the EGR Flow Sensor. I have a 2001 and just replaced the EGR valve and then I got the flow code. I replaced the sensor and all is well. Those are the only 2 components that will give you EGR codes, well at least according to my Ford Maintenance CD.
The 2001 has the cheap plastic sensor and according to the parts department they are a common item. The 2001 style is not on the recall list. Or so says the service manager...

Craig

Old 08-09-2003, 05:38 PM
EGR Valve Postition Sensor

Alot of times an EGR valve error code will be the EGR position sensor. Its a pretty easy and cheap fix. I'd give it a shot before taking your EGR off again.

RW

Old 08-10-2003, 06:15 PM
I was thinking about this, and since you guys have tried everything else-- there is the egr port on the passengers side header (the place where the egr hose/pipe thingy screws into the header) maybe that's the problem somehow-- you could check that connection. I don't know how that could have gotten screwed up, but since ya'll have eliminated pretty much everything else possible that has to do with the egr mechanism it seems to be the only logical step-- there's only so many things that could be causing that code, unless your ecu is just possessed .

Quick Reply: EGR Valve ?