California 4.2L Performance Mods???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California 4.2L Performance Mods???

Got a call from my brother in Iowa yesterday. At work, he just got a 99 F150 Flareside 4X4, 4.2L, 5 speed manual F-150 transferred in from another plant in California. He says it is a real dog. He sent it over to the local Ford dealer for tuning, & they replaced the plugs, wires, air & fuel filters, and cats(thought they were restricted), with little performance improvement. He says it can't even pull the hills in his area when empty without a significant drop in speed. He wants to know if it is just this engine, or is there hope for it with mods.
He couldn't tell me what gears were in it, but it does have 17 inch wheels, so I assume it has the 3.55's.
Along with the base engine, and the weight of a 4X4; I suspect that part of the problem is a California emmissions calibration on this truck.
I told him to get me the box code, so I could see if a chip was available. Other than that, and a less restrictive air filter, what else can be done economically with these V-6's.

As this is a company vehicle, he is limited to what can be spent on it, but he says right now, he could not even safely pass another vehicle in this truck, so he is afraid to let others at work use it.

Any ideas, comments on chipping a 4.2 w/manual would be appreciated.

Lightning Bob

Old 08-20-2003, 12:25 PM
My truck is an automatic, but the chip makes a big difference in power. Not as much at peak power, but big increases in low rpm and mid range power, where you actually drive the truck.

I recently pulled my chip out to experiment with gas mileage to see if the chip was saving me money - there are two threads I started on this approx. 1month ago that have my driving impressions.

Bottom line is premium fuel is about 10% more expensive but I got about 10% better mileage with the chip. I HATED driving the truck without the chip - it felt like a DOG after driving with the chip in for 4 years. Seriously, without the chip it takes noticeably more throttle.

The AIRAID intake is CA smog legal, but only adds power above 3000 rpm IMO. The chip makes a much bigger difference in normal driving around.

Old 08-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the info Dave,

I also read your post on mileage w & w/o your chip.
I called my brother back and told him to get a chip and an K&N element at a minimum. I don't think the company he works for will spring for much more. The truck is no longer in CA, but because it originally came from there, I'm sure it was factory detuned for the poor quality gas and restrictive emmissions laws you guys have out there.
I'll let you know how the chip works out in a month or so, if they decide to buy one.

Lightning Bob

Old 08-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Bob,
Before I put on the Airaid, I had a K&N element. I could not detect any mileage or performance increase for the $50+-.

FWIW, you've got to rev the V6 up if you want to move out. Stock, it is very sluggish at low rpm. This just doesn't feel right as a truck should be torquey, but you get used to it somewhat.

While the chip makes it easy to keep up with traffic, it does not make the truck 'fast', so tell your bro not to get his hopes too high!

Old 08-22-2003, 09:49 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bob,

How many miles on the truck? If it is over 60K change the O2 sensors.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 08-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Dirt bike dave,
I felt the same way about my intake for the week I had it before I got the exhaust installed. It works great with an exhaust, and I put back in my stock intake, and felt a loss of power and lost 1-2mpg, so add an exhaust, because with the intake and exhaust it really helps.... The exhaust by itself has power increase, but with the intake there is a much more noticable increase.

Old 09-02-2003, 09:46 AM
Do everything I did, I'm from cali. The only thing arguable is cutting the airbox, but even the headers are CARB approved.
No load, full tank with a passenger, I can pull up a good 15% grade without downshifting @ 70MPH. I get on avg. (60%hwy driving), 17MPG

Quick Reply: California 4.2L Performance Mods???