Is the 5 speed crap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My truck has about 25000 miles on it and it is going in for the third time this week for a squeak when the clutch pedal is pressed .THe fist time the dealer said it was the linkage so they lubed it.That didnot cure it.The next time they replaced the throwout bearing and the flywheel.That lasted about 3000 miles.
I admit I do drive it hard occasionally , but never powershift.I tow a 4500lbs travel trailer and am very easy on the truck when towing. I am really curious what they will find now. Should I tell them I want a new tranny??? or clutch ??? Has anyone else had a similar problem??? My rig is a 2000 supercab 2wd 4.6 5speed 3.55 posi

Old 09-21-2001, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by JMC
The reason you can not get a 5.4 with this 5 speed is the bigger engine is too powerful and would destroy the tranny. I would gladluy pay extra for a better tranny.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
JMC,

I'm not so sure about that, as when I was buying my 4.6L 5-speed (which I have approx 28k on and wonderful shifting) I was asking about 5.4L with 5-speed, and according to the "manual" that they have all the options in, the Superduty is the only 5.4L you can get with a 5-speed, but you can get it.

I believe the net torque is quite close between the 5.4L Superduty and Regular 5.4L, i.e. around 340 ft. lbs...So I'm not so sure 5.4L's necessarily destroy 5-speeds..

Old 09-21-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by BlueBlood
My truck has about 25000 miles on it and it is going in for the third time this week for a squeak when the clutch pedal is pressed .THe fist time the dealer said it was the linkage so they lubed it.That didnot cure it.The next time they replaced the throwout bearing and the flywheel.That lasted about 3000 miles.
I admit I do drive it hard occasionally , but never powershift.I tow a 4500lbs travel trailer and am very easy on the truck when towing. I am really curious what they will find now. Should I tell them I want a new tranny??? or clutch ??? Has anyone else had a similar problem??? My rig is a 2000 supercab 2wd 4.6 5speed 3.55 posi
BlueBlood,

I have had a slight squeak since day one. You have to be riding in gridlock traffic with no radio on to barely hear it and it is definitely in the cab, right around the clutch pedal not down in the tranny/flywheel. I mean, even though it is a hydraulic system there are still mechanical bolts, pedal return springs, and whatnot. I just assumed it was normal functioning "acoustics."
I have a 2000 Ford F-150 4.6L XLT 4x4 ORP, with 28k on it, clutch free travel is great, shifting is smotth, etc. etc.

I'm not sure they'd give you a new tranny, as it sounds like the problem is definitely with the clutch....But is it really a problem? How loud is the squeak? Is it possible to live with?

Old 09-21-2001, 06:02 PM
Cool

It sounds like we might have the same thing.I can here it with the radio off.louder with the window open. It doesn't bother me that much ,but there must be something wrong because it wasn't there when the truck was new and also I paid good money for the truck and think I shouldn't have to live with it.I will suggest the clutch to the dealer.Thanks for the suggestion

Old 09-21-2001, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutch squeak

My tranny had to be rebuilt at 9000 (?) miles because of grind into third and hard to get into first. Clutch also squeaked.

They rebuilt my tranny and the mechanic said my clutch was "weak" and put in a new one. Wow what a difference at first - the clutch fealt heavy like a 3/4 ton clutch, it released in the middle not towards the top like before, and didn't squeak.

After a while - 1000 miles or so I was noticing that the clutch was releasing towards the top. Shortly after that I started hearing the squeak. I am now at 14000 miles, and haven't had a problem with the clutch. But it does squeak and release sorta close to the top like it did before.

Basically my game plan for this is wait until something goes wrong down there. I have enough mileage left in my warranty so I will just keep drivin' happy. If the clutch starts slipping or something in the shop it will go.

Old 09-21-2001, 07:07 PM
Blueblood,

I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't be completely satisfied with your vehicle, as you did pay a lot of money for it. There are just some things that exist and can't be fixed. Something doesn't have to be wrong just because it's different. There is a clutch pedal return spring that may (just for example purposes) start to make noise after approximately "X" amount of miles, and the only thing you may be able to do about it is get another one put in which will eventually do the same thing...

I don't think you'd find any vehicle that won't do something every once in a while that will annoy you, and when you complain to a mech about it they will just shrug and say that's the way it is...I guess I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things with all the other problems people have with the trucks here, that's a pretty good problem to have..

Old 09-21-2001, 07:10 PM
Re: clutch squeak

hades281

I'd worry about a release right at the top, as that means you're throwout bearing might still be revovling and the release levers may be touched just enough to let the clutch slip....You could end up wearing out your throwout bearing and clutch disc really quick. I have decent clutch free travel, and it release right about in the middle to slightly above middle. The free travel should not really change, since the hydraulics are self-adjusting.

Old 09-21-2001, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by JMC
. The reason you can not get a 5.4 with this 5 speed is the bigger engine is too powerful and would destroy the tranny. I would gladluy pay extra for a better tranny.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

What is the superduties base engine and tranny?

Hrm, lets see here. 5.4L v8 with 5sp manual.

Ford can do it, chooses not to.

Old 09-23-2001, 11:23 PM
Matt390, cpadpl:

The 5sp in the F150 is a different tranny than that of the Superduty. So its possible that the 5sp currenly optioned in the F150 might not be rated to handle the 5.4L torque..

The 5.4L is identical in both trucks.
Both F150 and SuperDuty's have the same automatic tranny (4R100),

According to the manuals I have, there are differences in the clutches between the F150 and Superduty w/5.4L.. (and the clutch is even beefier w/ the PSD). So maybe this would also have to change in the F150 if you wanted a manual in the 5.4L.

Not saying that Ford couldn't do it, but the more options the manufacture makes available at the factory, the more it costs Ford in assembly line tooling and etc.. Which ultimately will show up as a base increase in truck prices..

Old 09-24-2001, 10:52 AM
clutch releases at the top

cpadpl-
when they put in a new clutch it operated a lot like you say yours does. And you really could feel the truck hook up. Now it releases probably within the top 2/5ths to 1/5th of full travel. I am a little worried but if I take it into the dealer I bet they're just going to say basically "It works, it's all good" unless it's actually broken/slipping. It's a shame that I feel this way but it is entirely what I expect.
Who knows if this clutch too craps out I may put in an aftermarket clutch that'll last a little longer than the OEM Ford equipment. Hopefully though if something bad's going to happen it will be under warranty.

Old 09-24-2001, 11:18 AM
Question

I just wanted to get a quick opinion on something please.

When my truck came in, the shifter was gouged and scratched. They touched it up with black paint for me until the new shifter comes in.

My question is this, is it possible for them to mess up my transmission when they replace the shifter? I looked at it from underneath and it seems like it would be simple but I know Ford mechanics are notorious for messing easy stuff up.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2001, 07:20 PM
Re: clutch releases at the top

hades281

I may have spoken too soon, as I really paid attention today at my clutch free travel, and it may be in the 1/5 to 2/5 area too, hard to describe. I have some motion of free travel though, which is really all you need. Point is that it has never changed from day one. It's not your clutch that would be crapping out, you don't have enough miles for even if you drove a stick shift like a sloppy madman. Something might be wrong with the hydraulics..

Tell you the truth though, I've never worked on a hydraulic system. Last clutch I changed out was a mechanical self-adjuster...Ah, the ol' days...When I knew what I was doing under the hood...

Old 09-24-2001, 11:33 PM
Yep

Cpadpl-
That is what I am leaning towards, a hydraulic problem if anything. Even the clutch on a stickshift drivers ed car's should be fine if it's only got 5000 miles on it as far as wear on the disc.
I know what you mean as far as getting under the hood and seeing all the new technology, and scratching your head. And it's not just us, I've heard many mechanics say the same thing about how hard it is sometimes to diagnose problems these days.

Old 09-24-2001, 11:33 PM
Yep

Cpadpl-
That is what I am leaning towards, a hydraulic problem if anything. Even the clutch on a stickshift drivers ed car should be fine if it's only got 5000 miles on it as far as wear on the disc.
I know what you mean as far as getting under the hood and seeing all the new technology, and scratching your head. And it's not just us, I've heard many mechanics say the same thing about how hard it is sometimes to diagnose problems these days.

Old 09-26-2001, 04:44 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Cpadpl,

The 5 speed in the F-150 is a Mazda M5OD unit and the 5 speed in the Super Duty is a S5-47 ZF. These are two different trannies. The ZF unit has a higher torque rating than the M5OD. Trust me, if Ford could get away with using the POS Mazda tranny they would.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Is the 5 speed crap?