Bleeding the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm experiencing the same problems that some of you are. I've got a '97 with about 82k. My clutch isn't slipping or anything like that, it's just the the pedal is less resistant. Could it be that I need a new master cylinder, need to bleed the system, or is it actually the clutch?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I'd sure appreciate it!

Old 02-27-2001, 05:10 PM
If I get my trans fixed up like you guys did, will it shift better. I hate the pause between gears. If the clutch is bled properly, will it be a faster 1st to 2nd throw. Thanks

Ted

Old 02-28-2001, 09:18 AM
Shagginwagon,
Sounds like you have a similar problem to what I had. It's hard to say if you replace the master cylinder and correctly bleed the clutch it will definitly fix your problem. But if it doesn't you have narrowed your problem down to the slave cylinder for under $65.

Lightening_R,
There is a very good chance that a new master cylinder will help the throw from 1st to 2nd. Have you ever had work done to the clutch before? And, does the master cylinder stay full, or do you have to add fluid occasionally? How many miles do you have on your truck? Have you checked the mechanical linkages yet?

Old 02-28-2001, 04:26 PM
Shagginwaggon,
I only want to add that it is important to get all residue out of the system. Like I said, It took almost a full quart of brake fluid before mine looked clear. If any air gets into the system from not keeping the reservior topped off, you have to start over. Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2001, 07:14 PM
CowboyKent,

Appreciate the advice. You've been a big help! If I'm ever up that way, I'll buy you a cold one.

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2001, 12:14 AM
Cowboykent,

Thanks for the reply. I went home last night and bleed the system. Not quite sure if I did it correctly. I got a black residue come out through the tube. Maybe it's coming from the tubes or the black "plunger" from the master cylinder?

Clutch pedal feels a little better, but I'd like to have it a little tighter. I'm going to test it out for a few days, then I'll probably go get a new master cylinder.

Appreciate the advice. If you have any other suggestions, please keep me informed.
Thanks again!

Old 07-12-2001, 12:09 PM
Just wanted to bring this thread up again to let everyone interested know that my clutch is still working great.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 PM
i hate manual trannys

HELP!!!! ok i just bought a 89 f150 4x4 4 speed 4.9L. the clutch went all the way to the floor and u had to stand on it to go into gear but it went, i got it home and replaced the slave cylinder and i lost all pressure after several bleeding attempts i went ahead and replaced the master cylinder also, now after bleeding i have little pressure and the clutch comes up less than half way, and it deffinetly wont go into gear..besides these plastic parts that are junk, can anyone suggest a fix? when i bleed the system i do the gravity and then bleed like u do brakes,open the bleeder screw push clutch pedal to the floor close bleeder screw and then check fluid level... but this doesnt seem to work i have done it alot...am i doin it right? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by michiganman3
HELP!!!! ok i just bought a 89 f150 4x4 4 speed 4.9L. the clutch went all the way to the floor and u had to stand on it to go into gear but it went, i got it home and replaced the slave cylinder and i lost all pressure after several bleeding attempts i went ahead and replaced the master cylinder also, now after bleeding i have little pressure and the clutch comes up less than half way, and it deffinetly wont go into gear..besides these plastic parts that are junk, can anyone suggest a fix? when i bleed the system i do the gravity and then bleed like u do brakes,open the bleeder screw push clutch pedal to the floor close bleeder screw and then check fluid level... but this doesnt seem to work i have done it alot...am i doin it right? PLEASE HELP!!!!
I suggest taking it to a dealer. It will cost you an arm and a leg, but to prevent further damage to your truck, let them do it.

BTW, dont be hating on something due to user error

Old 02-01-2008, 03:07 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
open the bleeder screw push clutch pedal to the floor close bleeder screw and then check fluid level
Incorrect. Takes 2 people. Fill the reservoir, pump the pedal several times, HOLD the pedal on the floor, crack the bleeder screw till it stops spitting, CLOSE the screw, THEN lift your foot, refill reservoir, repeat.

Quick Reply: Bleeding the clutch