Transgo or Baumann Engineering Shift Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transgo or Baumann Engineering Shift Kit?

Gentlemen and Ladies,
I want a shift kit for my E4OD automatic. From the little reaserch I have done to date, the Transgo and Baumann unit appear to do about the same thing. However, the Transgo is considerbly cheaper than the Baumann, but the Baumann seems to be a better unit. I know that many of you are geniuses on this subject, and I am not.

What so you think -if it were your truck, what unit would you get?

Thanks ... and happy holidays to all in the coming weeks !!

------------------
2001 SuperCrew, Silver, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.55, Limited slip, Tow Package, 265x70x17, Sliding Rear Window, Tuff Spray-on Liner, Ravin Z55 Single-in Dual-out Sideswept, K&N FIPK, SuperChip, 1" Thick Sheepskin seat covers (soft as a babys butt), Nerf Bars, PIAA Superwhites, 9006 - 65W Fog Lights
Future mods - Roots Supercharger, Headders, revamped sterio system.

Old 12-11-2000, 09:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HI!.... GODOGGO : I just finished writing a VERY lengthy page for you about the BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit that I have installed in my truck, but this DAM $#&%*&$ REPLY PAGE erased it as soon as I hit SUBMIT!!! Go with the B.E kit. If you have any questions about the kit, just ask.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 12-12-2000, 06:25 AM
Bauman Engineering. Installed mine a few months ago. It was on a Saturday, and I called Greg for some Tech support. In my case it works GREAT with the super chip. Very firm 1-2 slightly firm 2-3 and 3-4. The tranny stopped dancing around between gears after the install, and I now have much more control over shift points and firmness.

Good luck..

------------------
Drive it like ya stole it,

Terry Deaton
99 F150 XLT, Bright Red, 2WD, 4.6, S/C, S/B, Superchip, K&N FIPK, FMS 9mm, +4s, Nerfs, Leer Top, Cow Catcher W/Bright A$$ Lights, True Duals with hi flow cats and Magnaflow Lightning Style, 275 Dunlops with 3.08 gears, fat swaybars, Steeda front and Hellwig rear, 3.5" Fabtech spindles with 2" blocks, B/E Performance Shift kit with B&M Cast Deep Pan, Steeda Billit Pedals.
Coming Soon: 4.10s and Auburn Diff, Eibach Front Coils and Add a Leafs, Underdrive Pullies and Kick A$$ Shocks.
96 SVT COBRA (almost stock)
98 AERO black w/lotsa chrome
Speed Kills, drive a Chevy and live forever.
http://www.geocities.com/terrydeaton.geo/index7.htm

Old 12-12-2000, 08:25 PM
Cool

Neal and Treadmarks,
Thanks for the reply. It was guessing that the Baumann probably was the better unit and you both have confirmed my suspicions. Actually, I have noticed the Baumann unit in your signature before Neal and was hoping you would give your opinion. I know what you mean about having messages disappear - it has happened to me before too. Now I just type in MS Word first, then copy and paste even though it is more trouble. I want to install the Baumann myself if possible. Did you install yours and was it any trouble?
GoDogGo

------------------
2001 SuperCrew, Silver, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.55, Limited slip, Tow Package, 265x70x17, Sliding Rear Window, Tuff Spray-on Liner, Ravin Z55 Single-in Dual-out Sideswept, K&N FIPK, SuperChip, 1" Thick Sheepskin seat covers (soft as a babys butt), Nerf Bars, PIAA Superwhites, 9006 - 65W Fog Lights
Future mods - Roots Supercharger, Headders, revamped sterio system.

Old 12-12-2000, 09:59 PM
Cool

HI!... GoDogGO : Yes I installed the shift kit myself. It took me about 3 hours to do. Just take your time and read the instructions very thouroughly. If you have close to or more than 40,000KMs I would suggest to you to also get BAUMANN's PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE and BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE and to use a GOOD quality synthetic tranny fluid. I used RELINE fluid. Those two valves are about $40.00(U.S). It's cheap insurance against failer. To get a better understanding of how these valves work, go to BAUMANN's website and read up on them. You have to take the valve body apart to install the kit anyway so you might as well install them at the same time. With you being a 4x4 and a little heavier than me, I would suggest to you to go with STAGE 5 like I did. Just two warnings for you : When dropping the valve body down, take extreme care to notice where a small filter "SCREEN" falls out of and make sure you install it exactly the same way when re-installing the valve body. TWO : The new 4R70-W's don't use wires inside for the electronic solenoides like the AOD-E's did. They have a kind of plastic curcuit board. BE VERY, VERY carefull when softly removing this board. It will break if you don't take care in it's removal. If you have any questions about the installation of the kit then just contact me here.

Old 12-27-2000, 10:52 PM
Neal Do you have a phone number or e mail address for BBK i am thinking about putting one on 2001 f150 4.6. Do you have any idea how much power i might gain ?. Also what about a hi flow mass air sensor?. Thank for your help.

Old 12-28-2000, 08:00 PM
Cool

HI!... SPEEDER : I don't have a # or E-MAIL for BBK. I would give ROGER LEMERE a call from the F-150 ONLINE STORE. I've bought most of my performance parts from him and am planning on getting my 75MM BBK TB from him. You will not see it, in the ONLINE STORE, but he can get one for you. As for the PRO-M, you will only see H.P gains with it if you are installing a supercharger or have EXTENSIVE mods done to your engine. Remember that the LIGHTNING makes 360H.P and uses the same 80mm mass air meter that the regular F-150's use. I would guess that the TB would make about 5H.P (in reality) only if you port your TB elbow to match. The TB elbow is only about 68mm, inside diameter. For a cheaper way, you could port you STOCK TB to a "TRUE" 70mm and remove half of the butterfly shaft. That would also give you improved flow. That's what I have done to mine, before I get my BBK 75MM TB. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 12-28-2000, 08:27 PM
Cool

speeder-BBK= www.bbkperformance.com (909)735-2400. If it matters to you, their throttle bodies are not 50 state CARB certified for 2000 models much less 2001s.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

Old 12-28-2000, 10:59 PM
Cool

Neal and Max Mitchell thanks for the info. Neal i have some more questions for you if you dont mind, Are power pulleys worth the money, do they work?. And why 24Lb injectors will they give you more power?. I hope you dont mind all the questions and thank again for your help.

Old 12-29-2000, 10:22 AM
I'm confused, what do these kits do? I thought the superchips and the like firmed up the shifts? What else do these kits do to the transmission? How much are they?

Thanks!

-Jay
98 F150 4x4 SC ORP
33x12.50 Pro Comp AT's on stcok wheels
1" torsion bar lift up front
K&N filter

Old 12-30-2000, 01:48 AM
Cool

Whats up jay, a shift kit will only firm up the shifts in your transmission. a superchip can also do that as well as increase the overall performance of your engine. ( give you more power)i hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2000, 02:52 AM
Cool

HI!... SPEEDER : YES! The ASP power pulleys work very well. The two peice set will give you about 7-10H.P at the flywheel. After installation, I noticed that my truck reved out in 1ST gear a little bit better and that it pulled harder on my very top end. I even picked up a couple of MPH's on my top speed. SPEEDER : The only reason that I am installing 24lb injectors, is because the 19lb injectors on these engines will only support around 300-305H.P MAX! As you can see from my SIG, I am well over that and soon to be more. At the dragstrip my truck runs out of fuel on the top end and when reved over 5400RPM.

JAYNTGURU : A shift kit increases your shift firmness by PYSHICALLY increasing your line preasure. The SUPERCHIP does it electronically through a line preasure selenoid. The SUPERCHIP can only do so much for shift firmness. In fact I have a custom SUPERCHIP that has the shift frimness cranked up a bit more than the stock program, plus a shift kit installed. I like my trannys to shift real hard. I guess it just depends on what your used to, or that you like. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"

Old 01-02-2001, 05:07 PM
Do the hard shifts make you break loss easily on a snow covered road when it changes gears. I would like to install a kit but, I was thinking I would spin like a top in the snow. You guys in Canada must not have a problem or do you just stay on top of it to keep it straight.

------------------
BIG BLACK TRUCK
1997 XLT 4x4 4.6

Quick Reply: Transgo or Baumann Engineering Shift Kit?