12 of 14 Quarts

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 12 of 14 Quarts

I changed my transmission fluid yesterday and when I refilled the transmission it would take 12 quarts. I used a Valvoline Synthetic that says it meets Mercon III and Mercon V standards. Feel free to comment on that fluid. I think it is the same stuff I used when I installed the shift kit, just newer. I figure there were 2 quarts somewhere between the valve body and the cooler lines.
I installed a TransGo Shift Kit at 19,950 miles. Now with 41,240 miles and 21,280 on the transmission with the shift kit I had a small amount of sludge on the magnet but not much.
I did drain the torque converter. I had to use the same bolt because the two dealers in town had none. The bolt in the converter had a 5/16 head so I think a hardware store bolt would have worked for a replacement.
So far I am satisfied with the TransGo Shift Kit.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs,Energy Suspension Polyurethane Front Sway Bar Bushings, 265 70 16 tires, Rancho RS9000 shocks

Old 12-25-2000, 08:06 PM
Put some teflon tape on the threads of the converter plug and it should be fine.

G

Old 12-25-2000, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The plug looks like it has tapered threads. Don't know why Ford recomends changing it every time. Just snugged mine up, no leaks. I also couldn't get out "all" the fluid. 12 outa 14 I think (4R100). Better than the old days of drain the pan and add 5 qts.

Old 12-26-2000, 09:01 AM
V10 Man, you are so right. In fact, that is exactly what the guy at the parts counter told me most people do. Drain the pan and add 5 quarts.
I wanted to go for the method that would get the most fresh fluid in as possible.
It did take abount 3 miles of slow driving before the torque converter filled again. I let it idle for a time and then did a couple of slow loops around my block before I went over 30mph.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs,Energy Suspension Polyurethane Front Sway Bar Bushings, 265 70 16 tires, Rancho RS9000 shocks

Old 12-26-2000, 01:59 PM
You're right, that would be a problem. Sorry, I just wasn't thinking.

G

Old 12-26-2000, 04:09 PM
Tom,

According to my dealer, they added 12 quarts on my full transmission flush. My son's 1999 4x4 is being done at his dealer with a 12 quart flush also.

They both did what you did.......

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, HD electrical and cooling, power seat, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 12-27-2000, 12:19 AM
A good hydraulic tech would never put teflon tape on any component where risk of teflon tape getting into any orifice is possible. A similar analogy is where good mechanics never use red-rags when working in an engine -- the cotton does not disentigrate as does paper towel -- and can clog mission-critical orifices.

Teflon tape is great for your hot water tank -- but is a death threat for any hydraulic logic.

The issue is often not one of where the technician incorrectly applies it, but where once dis-assembled, the tape strings left in the threads get dislodged by the re-insertion of the fitting by the next un-suspecting technician.

Use teflon *paste* on mission-critical components.

Quick Reply: 12 of 14 Quarts