What's the difference between MERCON & MERCON V?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes, they stopped making MERCON. Ford change MERCON V to be compatible with the older transmissions, so that's now the fluid to use.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 6869
I suspected, that it had to do with synthetic vs. non synthetic oil.
Originally Posted by LARIAT1
The diff. is that the new fluid is syn. which makes it have double the life of the old fluid. Instead of 30,000 miles to change, switch to the Mec. v it now is 60,000 miles to change.
Originally Posted by cujet
Not sure about the following but here is what I heard from the ford tech at the dealer.
he says that mercon V is a synthetic version of ATF and therefore helps the trans last longer.
Mercon is Mercon. Original formula Mercon is no longer offered by Ford. Original formula Mercon spec transmission fluid is made by other lubricant manufacturers and the label on the bottle will indicate such specs. Mercon V is Mercon V. There is also a synthetic blend version of Mercon V. They are not all the same. Click on the links for further information. Refer to the FCSD Chemicals and Lubricants Catalog.

The formulation of Mercon V, by itself, is not the sole deciding factor to when you will need to change your fluid. Nowhere on the label of Mercon V does it specify a mileage for fluid changes. On different vehicles with Mercon V as the factory fill, the owners manuals and maintenance schedules suggest different guidelines; from simply checking the fluid, to lifetime fluid. The best thing to do is to check your fluid regularly, and then use your dipstick to gauge when you need service.

Originally Posted by 6869
Do you know, or have you seen MERCON V on the shelfs in any car & truck accesories store in your area? It does not seem to be availabel in my area.
Originally Posted by cujet
I have not been able to find syn mercon V at the local auto parts so for the time being I have to buy it at ford.

Motorcraft XT5QM Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid

Price: $60.45 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Product Features

* Low temperature fluidity
* Thermal and oxidation resistance
* Wear protection
* Rust and corrosion resistant
* Improved durability

Product Details

* Shipping Weight: 25 pounds
* Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.
* Shipping Advisory: This item must be shipped separately from other items in your order. Additional shipping charges will not apply.
* Note: Gift-wrapping is not available for this item.
* ASIN: B00130LI98
* Item model number: XT5QM
* Average Customer Review: No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #11,786 in Automotive (See Bestsellers in Automotive)

Brand: Motorcraft

Product Description
Motorcraft Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality hydro processed base oils and specially designed performance additives. It provides good shifting characteristics at ambient temperatures, good thermal and oxidation resistance as well as good low temperature fluidity. This transmission fluid provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam. It also provides protection against rust and corrosion as well as it is dyed red for ease of leak detection. This transmission fluid is safe to use and efficient in performance. It is specifically designed for improved durability and torque handling capacity.

Last edited by Fifty150; 03-10-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Ford put out a TSB on Mercon vs Mercon V.

Mercon V is now spec'd by Ford for use in older vehicles that spec'd Mercon. Vehicles that spec'd Mercon V cannot use the older Mercon fluid.

The TSB also mentions that Mercon was being discontinued.
I found Quakerstate Mercon V at Walmart...

Old 03-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Old 03-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow...a 10 year old thread, that might be a new record!

anyway, ford discontinued mercon, and release a TSB stating that Mercon V should now be used in vehicles that originally specced Mercon. I believe they re-formulated Mercon V a bit to make it safe to use in the older vehicles. They no longer make Mercon, that is why you are having a hard time finding it.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:20 AM
wow...a 10 year old thread, that might be a new record!
Try hard enough, and you might find one even older.

Quick Reply: What's the difference between MERCON & MERCON V?