4R70 to 4R100 Swap????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R70 to 4R100 Swap????

So I have thought about this and waved it off due to cost..... But through the miss fortune of my father I think I might be able to consider this.

My dad’s expedition just got totaled and he ended up buying a newer expedition and a newer supercrew with money from the insurance and his savings. He bought his first expedition from the insurance company though and was using it for some supplemental parts on the newer trucks.

Anyways were not touching the tranny and so I have a complete donor truck with the 4R100 in it.

What all would have to be done......

I know I need the torsion rods and frame members to support them as the 4R100 is longer.

I am worried about things like the driveshaft’s, transfer case member, and programming for the new tranny.

The programming is my main concern.

Any ideas????

The donor vehicle is a 99 expedition 4wd.

My truck is an 02 supercrew 4wd.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a donor truck you will have most all the parts.
Other things you'll need is a drive shaft adjustment(probably custom) and an exhaust adjustment(Probably have to move your cross over pipe back to clear the 4R100)

We did the swap on my truck but I had already converted it to a 2WD 4R70W tranny. We put in a 2WD 4R100 so we did not have to worry about the T case and front drive-shaft.

From the donor you will need the flex plate and torque converter,tranny,cross member.tranny wire-harness,dash wire harness,computer,dipstick tube and bracket.I don't know about the T case but you'll have both of them so one will work,,lol. You might even get lucky and the drive shafts out of the donor will work but not sure.

That should get ya started,,,good luck with it.

Phil

Old 01-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like junkyard method is your friend here.

97/98's supposedly had the long torsions regardless of trans application. i'd check with jbrew he's the one that i remember mentioning something like this.

you'll need the pcm and drivelines from the donor vehicle that has the 4r100 coming out of it. and depending on the year, you may need to take the harness with it.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
sounds like junkyard method is your friend here.

97/98's supposedly had the long torsions regardless of trans application. i'd check with jbrew he's the one that i remember mentioning something like this.

you'll need the pcm and drivelines from the donor vehicle that has the 4r100 coming out of it. and depending on the year, you may need to take the harness with it.
The drivelines wont work due to the fact the expi is shorter. Mine wouldn't be able to extend to match the 4 inch differance?

phil6608

You mentioned the in dash wiring harness. You have to pull it and put it in the new truck. Im assuming for the PCM...... RIGHT?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by twintips_17

phil6608

You mentioned the in dash wiring harness. You have to pull it and put it in the new truck. Im assuming for the PCM...... RIGHT?
The problem we had is there is 3 sensors on the 4R100 that the 4R70W does not have.So after we put in a Lightning computer and the 4R100 with wire harness there were 3 wires that were not there in-between the tranny harness and computer.
Rather then change out the dash harness my guy ran the 3 wires separately and got it to work.
We could not get it to shift automatically without the 3 wires.

Phil

Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It also needs to be pointed out that the PCM for a 4R70W doesn't have the actual hardware drivers that it takes to control a 4R100 regardless of tuning. As mentioned, you will have to get a PCM that is capable of controlling the engine, transmission and other electronics on the vehicle.

Darrin

Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
It also needs to be pointed out that the PCM for a 4R70W doesn't have the actual hardware drivers that it takes to control a 4R100 regardless of tuning. As mentioned, you will have to get a PCM that is capable of controlling the engine, transmission and other electronics on the vehicle.

Darrin
I have the PCM off the 99 expi that had a 5.4 with pi heads. Could i just swap the PCM and teh harness and be ok with no extra tuning?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Even if the PCM has the capability to control the rest of the hardware on the truck you will have to address the PATS system somehow. But, I am honestly not sure whether the PCM itself is going to swap in without further issue.

Darrin

Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 PM
big headache.. why do u want the 4r100? there is alot more parasitic loss and 150lbs more weight to it. whats wrong with your 4r70w?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by twintips_17
I have the PCM off the 99 expi that had a 5.4 with pi heads. Could i just swap the PCM and teh harness and be ok with no extra tuning?
Oh yeah,,,the PATS thing,,I forgot about that!
When you swap the computers your truck will not recognize the new computer because of the PATS system.(Your truck will not start)
You will need to take it to a dealer and they can reset it so it all matches up or have it turned off (the PATS system) with a custom tune.
I just turned it off. Since my tuner is also my mechanic...lol I'll get to the dealer one of theses days to have it all fixed but I'm getting ready to put in a Lightning gauge cluster and want it all done at the same time.

Phil

Last edited by phil6608; 01-18-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 AM
the expy is shorter than the screw?

PCM- JMC should have a really good idea the differences in wiring between the years and trans models. or even JBREW. i dont know the particulars myself.

is there any reason you couldnt have a well built 4r70w put in place instead of a swap?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
the expy is shorter than the screw?

PCM- JMC should have a really good idea the differences in wiring between the years and trans models. or even JBREW. i dont know the particulars myself.

is there any reason you couldnt have a well built 4r70w put in place instead of a swap?
I read your whole thread but am still unsure of what you did to fix yours. I’m guessing you put a built 4R70 in???

I have no transmission problems as of now.

I’m just looking towards the future as I am planning a definite cam swap and maybe someday a charger and I don’t want to be in a bad spot by having a weak transmission.

I think that you have proven that the 4R70 as it sits wont handle the power for very long. These mods are in the future and I just figured I see if maybe it would be in my best interest to swap it now while I have the parts and the donor truck.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
im expecting a trans from Darrin relatively soon, the one i got local was suppose to be rebuilt and isnt any good. broken shaft and almost everything is from the 94 tranny they picked up. they tried to hose me and have done a very good job on that so far.

i proved a stock build 4r70w out of a 97 that had 194k on it wont last long. thats all i did.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 PM
im expecting a trans from Darrin relatively soon, the one i got local was suppose to be rebuilt and isnt any good. broken shaft and almost everything is from the 94 tranny they picked up. they tried to hose me and have done a very good job on that so far.

i proved a stock build 4r70w out of a 97 that had 194k on it wont last long. thats all i did.
LOL

I just dont want to be in that boat in the future after i do what i want. Trying to tackle it now. I do a bit of moderate towing. 5000+ and usually over 200 miles when i do.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:05 PM
pcm swapping

in order to sucessfully swap a pcm with out going to ford you need a new things from your donor. pats was a pain in the butt for me when i was swapping things in my dads expedition. you need these items all from the same vehicle (donor): pcm, GEM (i think its called, white box located behind fuse box on firewall), gauge cluster and either change all your door locks to match the set from the donor or pop the cap off the keys and swap the little capsul inside...with out those your vehicle will not start and theft mode will be activated....just to be safe i also changed the sensor for the key located on the steering column....ford wouldnt even tell me this info.. trial and error

Quick Reply: 4R70 to 4R100 Swap????