Synthetic ATF in 5-speed?

Old 10-10-1999, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Synthetic ATF in 5-speed?

I'm coming up on my first oil change and plan on doing a complete change over to synthetics. I've heard pros and cons about using synthetic ATF in a manual due to the change of friction and the syncros. What are your opinions? Also, what brand of synthetics do you all use? I'm planning on using Royal Purple.

Old 10-10-1999, 09:51 PM
Y2KLaser, I have used Redline ATF in both of my last 2 mustangs and now my truck. I believe both manuals shifted better with the synthetic and I never had a problem.

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031
pud@iainc.net" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031
pud@iainc.net</A> -- Kennesaw GA

Old 10-17-1999, 08:57 PM
I replaced the manual tranny fluid in my Miata several years ago with Redline synthetic-it really smoothed things out. Will do the same for my F150 when it's due.

Old 10-18-1999, 03:44 PM
I'm using Red Line MTL. I didn't use their ATF because the MTL is specifially designed for a manual transmission. It is supposed to have all the correct friction properties a manual trans needs. And it does shift smooth...

------------------
Danny
'98 F-150 Std., RC, SB, 4x2, 4.2L, 5-sp, 3.08, AC, speed control, rear slider
with Syntec engine oil, MTL trans fluid, Edelbrock IAS shocks, 50 Series Flowmaster, K&N with airbox mod, electric radiator fan, Superchip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Synthetic ATF in 5-speed?