Transmission Noises

Old 01-31-2002, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Noises

I have a 00 f150 sc xlt with the 4.6 and automatic tranny, when i am accelerating and then leave off of the gas there is a banging coming from what sounds like the transmission, reminds me of a u-joint coming out, had it back to the dealer three times, says it shifts perfect. Another problem that has occured twice, when I put the tranny in drive , the truck doesn't move for a few seconds, If I leave off of the gas and then reaccelerate it will operate properly. Any suggestions.

Old 01-31-2002, 12:09 PM
Have a '99 that does the same thing. Was told this is normal, but I'm doubtful. Planning on going to another dealer for a second opinion. Let me know if you get anywhere with it.....

Old 02-18-2002, 09:26 AM
My 2000 does the same thing. Dealer says it is normal. Still don't beleive them. Mine does the loud clunk at low speeds and highway speeds. I also notice some vibration when lettting off of the gas at highway speeds.

I also have a short burst of noise that sound like a growl coming from under the hood when in stop and go traffic or a parking lot when I am doing 10 to 15 MPH with foot off gas. I can apply pressure to the Shift Lever and it stops. Dealer kept truck for 3 1/2 days last week. They have heard the noise but don't know what it is.

Mine has 35,500 miles now.

Old 02-18-2002, 04:09 PM
lwt9660 I had that problem with the vibration and most ford mech, told me to change the transmission oil,I took it over to tire kingdom and they sucked out all of the oil including the tourqe converter,they did not change the filter,they flushed it a couple times with some kind of cleaner.I also asked ford about that hard clunking noise,one ford mech told me there was a bullitin out on it and too monitor all the problems customer's are having with there transmissions.I heard there is going to be a change in 2004,if they don't take care of that tranny problem I will bee looking at some other trucks.
Joe

Old 02-18-2002, 04:32 PM
Joe, thanks for the information. I will get the fluid changed. The dealer is supposed to take my truck back again this week and take another look at the growling noise at 10 to 15 MPH. Don't want to do anything until they wrap that up.

Have you ever heard of anyone having this noise. It happens only at low speed in stop and go traffic and when cruising through a parking lot. Always when foot is off gas and just as the speedometer crosses between 15 to 10 MPH. Sounds like a growl that lasts anywhere from 1 to 15 seconds. Always goes away if I touch the gas or if I push up slightly on the Shift Lever while in Drive. Have also noticed a rumbling sound (like a bad bearing) lately that is probably associated with the other noise. Never hear both at the same time. Ford mechanic was in truck with me and pulled it into Second to stop the growling noise. Another dealer mechanic drove my truck home two days in a row and heard the same noise but Service Manager claims they don't know what it is. They have replaced the Idle Control Valve which was supposed to be the problem. The dealer has tried, I think, to find the problem and has given me a loaner truck while mine was in the shop. I can't bad mouth them for that.

Old 03-05-2002, 11:03 PM
Service Manager rode with me again. The truck cooperated and made the growling noise several times. He also noticed that I could touch the shift lever and make the noise stop.

Here is what they replaced in the tranny.

FMC F8AZ 7G383 AB SOLENOID ASSY-TRANS
FMC XW/Z 7A100 CA CONTROL ASY-TRANS M
FMC 1L3Z 7C155 AA GASKET-TRANS CONTR V

TECH REPORTED HE FOUND A DAMAGED VALVE IN VALVE
BODY AND EPC SOLENOID DAMAGED. REPLACED VALVE
BODY AND EPC SOLENOID.

They also replaced the tranny fluid in both torque
converter and tranny at no cost to me.

Growling noise is now gone. Still have the clunk when I let off of it. Warranty ran out this weekend.

Old 03-06-2002, 02:38 PM
I also have that same clunk when I let off on the gas ..
Dealer told me it was normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Noises