Need Transmission Advice

Old 01-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Transmission Advice

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and hope someone can help. I just bought a 2004 F150 XL with the 4.6 and its 4x4. The truck has 160 000 km on it. Anyway, when I got the truck 3 months ago, I changed all the fluids and filters, since I wasn't sure when it was done last. I changed the transmission fluid and filter with Mercon V and filter from the ford dealer. The old filter and fluid still looked good, and had been changed before as the little plug wasn't in the pan. The truck ran really good for about 2 months, then I started hearing a ticking sound. I couldn't figure out what it was. Then I noticed it wouldnt shift into 3rd gear unless I really stepped on the gas. It would just feel like it went into neutral. Then one day I was driving and all of a sudden it was like it was just in neutral in ALL gears. I pulled over and shut the truck off and let it sit for a few minutes. When I started it back up and put it in any gear it would just stall the engine. I think the torque converter is locked up. I had to have it towed home. I pulled the transmission pan and it was very black with metal specks and a couple of slivers of metal about an inch or so long. My question is, does it sound like I need a new torque converter? If so, what are the chances the rest of the transmission needing to be rebuild/ replaced? Anything I should check? I'm kind of on a tight budget right now and don't have the money to take it to a shop. I had only driven about 1500 km since fluid and filter change, and fluid level is still where it is supposed to be. No burnt smell either, and no trouble codes came up.

Last edited by CP1974; 01-28-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Forgot some information
Old 01-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I'm not a transmission expert but it appears to me that you are going to need a complete transmission rebuild, new torque converter and a new trans cooler. Sorry!

Old 01-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm planning on rebuilding it myself, to save money and to know that it's been done right. At first I was hoping to just replace the converter, but since I have to pull the tranny anyways, I may as well rebuild it. I already pulled the valve body, and am going to rebuild/ upgrade it first. The rest will have to wait till spring, because it's very cold and snowy out, and I don't have a garage or big enough work shop to fit the truck in. My next question is. Anyone from Ontario Canada, that knows any reasonably priced transmission parts stores? I'm having a hard time finding one. If I order parts from amazon or eBay it will cost me close to 2000 with all the shipping and import charges etc. I plan on replacing all the bushings/ seals/steel and friction plates/ solenoids and sensors plus anything else that may be worn or broken. Any advice what brands to get and what to stay away from? I only want to do this job ONCE.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Use only the factory style frictions and bands. No fancy colors and NEVER Kevlar. Nothing from any manufacturer that starts with the letter A either. The frictions should be tan Raybestos paper in the forward and reverse and black Dynax material for the intermediate and direct. The overdrive band should be the Raybestos HP band that is black Dynax and the reverse can honestly be either black, tan or red. Always stick with only Raybestos and Borg Warner clutches for a stock rebuild.

Keep it simple.

D

Old 01-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the great advice. What about the torque converter? Would a remanufactured one be good? I think that is what is wrong with my transmission. Is it possible that just the torque converter clutches are too worn out and slipping, and not the actual friction plates inside the transmission? I still plan on redoing the whole transmission since it has to be pulled either way.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:40 PM
I would never replace either the torque converter or the transmission individually in the event of a failure of either. One will contaminate the other

D

Old 02-09-2017, 01:04 PM
I have another question. I want to rebuild the valve body. What is better, the Sonnax sure cure kit, or the Transgo shift kit?

Old 02-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Neither. I wouldnt use either of those. If someone tried to make me I would turn down the job.

D

Search this Thread