Transmission reinstall - now nothing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission reinstall - now nothing

I am just finishing an engine swap in my 98 F150. (yes...she's old, but I still love her.) It also got a new torque converter, tranny fluid drain and a rebuilt tranny pump, while at it. It's a 4R70W.

I finished putting it all back together... and now the tranny does not shift into any gear.

Everything bolted up fine. TC was seated completely.
I added 6 quarts of tranny fluid. Started it, let it run for a few. Added 4 more quarts until the funnel was draining slow. Started again and let it run for a few. added 2 more quarts. 12 quarts added in total. Dipstick shows in the hatched area (cold), so I figure there must be another quart or more in the lines and cooler, since this is a 14 qt capacity.

I'm not much of a tranny guy but I have to think that the tranny pump is ok, because it would have had to fill the TC with fluid in order to fill the system to capacity right?

The shift linkage is attached and shifting through the range... the cooler lines are reattached.

Other (relevant?) points: I used the oreillys global tranny fluid. It says its good for wherever Mercon or Mercon V is called for. It's what I could find in my small town that was supposedly compatible.

I'm not an expert but have swapped engines and trannys multiple times over the years so I'm not a complete noob (semi-noob?).I'm hoping it's something stupid I missed but I can't see anything or think of anything.

What next to check? Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks folks.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think you don't have enough fluid in it

D

Old 10-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
I think you don't have enough fluid in it

D
Did you fill the convertor before you installed it? I know for some transmissions that's required
the cooler, rad and lines all hold fluid, so I'd throw a few more quarts at it.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:39 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
My 2000 f150 5.4L 4R70W only held 12 quarts if I remember correctly. When I changed the fluid and it did have a TC drain plug, it took 11 1/2 qts to fill it. Perhaps the 98 holds 14 qts. I don't know.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:50 PM
So I added 2 more quarts of fluid to the tranny today. This puts it at the top of the hatch on the dipstick, cold. Started it. Started smoothly...but as soon as it idled down, it started pouring white smoke from the exhaust. It did not smell like oil and it did not smell like antifreeze and its not steam. Also,. it was running very smoothly despite white smoke.

Ran it through the gears... nothing. When shifting back into park, I heard a light "winding down" sound. Repeated this, down through each gear slowly and back up... same result.

Checked the tranny fluid level while running (had been idling for 3 or 4 minutes). Now it's well above the hatch mark.

This question doesn't even sound right, but is there anyway that tranny fluid can get sucked into somewhere that will burn (out the exhaust)?

Pretty sure I'm overfilled now... not too hard to drain some.

Could it be the wrong type of fluid? It says its good for all fords where Mercon or Mercon V is specified.

Baffled... Where to start?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:47 PM
You need Mercon V. I wouldn't have used the universal fluid. Transmissions of old used a vacuum modulator to control shift points at part throttle and if the diaphragm ruptured the engine would suck fluid into the intake manifold. But, I don't think any such path exists on modern transmissions. There is a lot of water in the exhaust because when gasoline burns it combines carbon with oxygen and makes carbon dioxide and hydrogen combines with oxygen and makes water (H2O). When the exhaust is cold this water comes out as liquid or visible steam. When the exhaust gets hotter it still comes out as steam but it is so hot it isn't visible.

Last edited by Roadie; 10-05-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the fluid he used, it's perfectly compatible with his transmission.

It also got a new torque converter, tranny fluid drain and a rebuilt tranny pump, while at it
Perhaps some details would be in order. A faulty pump or a loose filter, for example, would cause your symptoms.

System capacity, if completely empty, is 13.9 quarts.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys.
I think I will try these steps one at a time until I'm out of (your) ideas again.

1) Check all connections again
2) Drop the pan and check the filter
3) Drain the TC (to get back to empty)
4) Blow out the lines (to get back to empty)
5) Pull the tranny back and replace the pump (again).

Hopefully that will solve the tranny problem. Now, would any of these issues have any chance of causing the smoking exhaust? Again, it's white smoke (not steam...steam dissipates), that doesn't smell like oil or antifreeze. Hoping it's not a bad head gasket (newly replaced) but in my experience that smells like antifreeze and runs like crap. I don't have those symptoms.

Argh. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:34 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
There is no need to drain any lines or the TC. Once you get it back together, just use the dipstick to get to the correct fluid level. Keep in mind that measuring the fluid level assumes that the pump is working and that fluid is circulating through the system. If those conditions are not in effect, even the correct amount of fluid will read very high on the dipstick.

Put a pressure gauge on the port on the transmission and verify whether or not you have any pressure before draining the fluid or pulling the transmission back. Since a loose filter won't allow any fluid to be picked up, I'd start there and see if there's an issue with the fluid pickup.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 10-06-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:08 AM
That rubber gasket around the filter pipe outlet doesn't want to come out with the filter. And if you insert the new filter with an additional gasket it won't be tight.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:39 AM
I had the tranny filter drop off a while back and the tranny wouldn't engage if the truck was on an angle.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:05 AM
update?

D

Old 10-23-2016, 12:47 PM
An update finally.

Pressure test results:

At Idle
P = 90
R = 70
N = 40
D = 85
2 = 80
1 = 80

At WOT
P = 210
R = 300
N = 205
D = 200
2 = 195
1 = 175

According to the service manual I have, everything is in range except neutral at idle.

Additionally, there is no noise shifting between gears except when shifting from reverse to park... this transition produces a slight grinding sound for a few moments and then audibly winds down and stops.

The service manual says if neutral is the the only gear that is low, to check to check the valve body. It appears this requires an air test plate... I can't seem to find one of these. Next?

Thanks again folks.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 AM
Were those just from one port? If so then which?

D

Old 10-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Oh, and the only air test plate for these that I know of tests the transmission by taking the place of the valve body. It doesn't test the valve body.

D

Quick Reply: Transmission reinstall - now nothing