Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 FX4 F150 5.4V Automatic 188k miles P0731

Hello everyone!

Here’s a long one.

And my first post too.

Ok guys, I need some major help.
My truck was acting up whenever I was backing up or letting go of the gas at low speeds, I replaced both CVT solenoids just because I didn’t know how old they were and I’d feel better if I replaced them with OEM units and I could see how bad were they (I bought the truck with 155k miles and had no history of maintenance done on truck).

Immediately after I replaced them, I started to get a bit of a shudder whenever I pressed on gas from a full stop. Thought it was a little weird, I figured PCM was learning my driving habits since I disconnected the battery to replace the solenoids.

After a few days, engine would rev up to about 3000 RPM when I was driving in traffic then back to normal. I thought this was definitely not a small issue. After a couple of days more, driving home, my first gear would not engage. After I got some speed, it would shift to second and third but if I stopped I would have to rev up my engine to about 3k RPM then it would barely move the truck. NOT GOOD.

I was able to manage getting closer to home then the O/D light started flashing along with the TRANS FAULT in my message center. The last mile, my wrench light and engine light came on. Ran my scanner and got a P0731 code. I started it again and ran it down the street slowly, then P0720 and P2106 Pending Fault messages came on along with the P0731 code. I figured the first code triggered the second codes since the engine is preventing me from further driving the truck to prevent damage.

Replaced the OSS sensor - after much needed help from this forum - and same symptoms appear. When shifting to D, I can’t even hear or feel the transmission going to it, then I drive it for a few mins, revving it slowly until I get some movement, then the wrench and engine light come on. I have reverse and I can’t get it fast enough to it to shift gears up to see if I have the rest. I had no other symptoms prior to this, transmission always shifted normal and I never pull anything or load it with cargo.

The only thing there is that I can recall, whenever I had to step on the gas and it downshifted to third it would shudder hard and I’d feel and hear a thump for less than half a second. I read that it could be the transmission needed to be re-programmed and since I had no other issues whatsoever I left it alone since I hardly ever had to downshift like that and I never pulled anything. Transmission fluid seemed ok, no dark color or burnt smell.

So, my guess is either the solenoid went KAPUT or my transmission needs the first gear to be rebuilt. Since a solenoid would be the most affordable option, I’m really hoping that’s it. I had no other issues with the transmission (other than the downshifting hard), everything suddenly started after the CVT replacement.

Thoughts? Feedback?

If you managed to read the entire post. Thank you!

Old 10-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Did you google and read the causes of the codes? Looks like a trans failure to me but I'm no expert for sure. There are trans experts on this forum. Perhaps they will chime in later.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Did you google and read the causes of the codes? Looks like a trans failure to me but I'm no expert for sure. There are trans experts on this forum. Perhaps they will chime in later.
I did, tons of google searches

Causes of this DTC may include:
Low or dirty transmission fluid ***Looked fine***
Mechanical failure inside transmission
Internal blockage inside transmission main control
Faulty Shift solenoid
Faulty transmission control module***i Replaced this***

Old 10-04-2016, 05:02 PM
The shop called. Forward clutch is bad, transmission is being rebuilt.

$1400

Old 10-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Thanks for letting us know! All of us learn a little that way!

Quick Reply: 2005 FX4 F150 5.4V Automatic 188k miles P0731