OD light flashing on install

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OD light flashing on install

So I Replaced 4R70W 2L1P-FA with a USED 1L3P-JA. So everything hooked up ok and the tranny works great. Problem is, is that the OD light flashes ALL of the time. No hesitation between blinks. Any ideas what the problem could be other than we may have bought a used wore out transmission?
This is on a 2003 F-150 4X4.
Cheers and Thanks,
Len

Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 PM
Here's what my Haynes says about a flashing OD light
"if the TCIL (the light in the shifter) flashes there's either a sensor failure or a short in the electronic pressure control circuit (EPC)
The book claims this is a dealer service item, may or may not be true. But they offer a way to check if it's just a bad switch:
a)Check fuse 29 (in your truck it should be 5A
b) remove the switch from the shifter and check the resistance. When the button is held down it should read less than 5 ohms when it's released it should be more than 10,000 ohms.
If it doesn't give you those readings it needs replacing.
if it does match those readings this is the next test:
apply 12v dc to the switch and verify the light comes on, if it doesn't replace the switch

Hope this helps.
Gene

Old 08-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by 1972-2003f150
"if the TCIL (the light in the shifter) flashes there's either a sensor failure or a short in the electronic pressure control circuit (EPC)
The book claims this is a dealer service item, may or may not be true. But they offer a way to check if it's just a bad switch:
a)Check fuse 29 (in your truck it should be 5A
b) remove the switch from the shifter and check the resistance. When the button is held down it should read less than 5 ohms when it's released it should be more than 10,000 ohms.
If it doesn't give you those readings it needs replacing.
if it does match those readings this is the next test:
apply 12v dc to the switch and verify the light comes on, if it doesn't replace the switch

Hope this helps.
Gene
There are a couple transmission guys on this forum who may be able to give you some other ideas if they see your post. You could also search for your problem, there may already be a thread with the solution

Old 08-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Thanks so much for the reply Gene. I will try these tests out and let you know!
Cheers,
Len

Old 08-19-2016, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by deweert
Thanks so much for the reply Gene. I will try these tests out and let you know!
Cheers,
Len
Your Welcome and Good luck!
As I said even though the Haynes manual says past those tests you have to go to a dealer, if you use the search feature you might find another answer or a person who has more transmission knowledge might offer more help yet tonight or tomorrow.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:24 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If the OD light is flashing, it's setting a OBD2 code that can be read by a high end scanner. Find someone with a scanner that can read Ford transmission codes and get them read. You don't have to go to a dealer but the readers at Autozone can't read them.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If the OD light is flashing, it's setting a OBD2 code that can be read by a high end scanner. Find someone with a scanner that can read Ford transmission codes and get them read. You don't have to go to a dealer but the readers at Autozone can't read them.
Good to know, I learned something new today. Win! Thanks glc

Old 08-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by glc
My Brother in law has a shop and can read the codes. I'll bring it to him and see what the codes are. Thanks!!

Old 08-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
And that's why buying a Haynes (or Chilton's) manual is a complete waste of money. It's only good for tearing out pages to line a bird cage.

Those are some of the reasons the TCIL (Transmission Control Indicator Light) would flash. If there is a short of open in any wire to the transmission it will flash. If there is an internal problem in the trans and the shifts take too long it will flash.

The ONLY way to know what's wrong is to read the codes, as was stated above.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
And that's why buying a Haynes (or Chilton's) manual is a complete waste of money. It's only good for tearing out pages to line a bird cage.

Those are some of the reasons the TCIL (Transmission Control Indicator Light) would flash. If there is a short of open in any wire to the transmission it will flash. If there is an internal problem in the trans and the shifts take too long it will flash.

The ONLY way to know what's wrong is to read the codes, as was stated above.
Well, if I was a Ford transmission engineer I guess I would've "known" that. I've found my Haynes and Chilton manuals to be quite useful, outside of automatic transmissions, for repairing my vehicles. If I knew everything I might feel differently I guess.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:43 PM
glc
You can't beat a factory shop manual - and you can find them on DVD on Ebay for about the same price as a Chilton or Haynes.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You can't beat a factory shop manual - and you can find them on DVD on Ebay for about the same price as a Chilton or Haynes.
glc

Fair enough, I grew up when those things were like hens teeth and a Chilton and later Haynes book was the best cost effective source for repair info for me.

I don't take everything as gospel in them, as I stated above, although my book said you had to go to a dealer for the OP's transmission issue after you performed their offered tests I wasn't certain that was a fact, and I said so. You verified that with your post

I just did a search on ebay for my personal truck manual, $120 is about $95 more than my Haynes. Certainly a good investment, if I were not planning to upgrade vehicles in the near future I would, I will invest after my next purchase.

Last edited by 1972-2003f150; 08-20-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. Haven't had a chance to get the codes yet so hence not sure the issue. i will post what it is once I get it fixed.
Cheers,
Len

Old 08-20-2016, 11:31 PM
glc
Printed paper factory shop manuals still cost a small fortune - you do have to check the DVD listings carefully to make sure they are genuine.

This one is genuine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370897935328?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Note:

****These DVD's are date sensitive, so to get this to work on your PC, you must change your PC Date, to month/year DVD was produced. Due to age of DVD - will not work on Windows 7 / 8 / or Vista!!

Here is a non-genuine freebie, it can be hard to find what you need but everything you need *should* be there:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B52...hvNUYyaXc/view

Old 08-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Well, if I was a Ford transmission engineer I guess I would've "known" that. I've found my Haynes and Chilton manuals to be quite useful, outside of automatic transmissions, for repairing my vehicles. If I knew everything I might feel differently I guess.
I had a '92 Ranger. It came with a Chilton's manual. I had to change the clutch, so I opened the Chilton's to go over the steps to remove the transmission. All it said was to remove the transmission. It had NO further detail. I'm glad I didn't pay for that level of help. Maybe that would help someone with less experience than I have, but I can't see how it would help anyone.

Quick Reply: OD light flashing on install