Seized motor - swap in progress - tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seized motor - swap in progress - tranny question

I hit a deer on the interstate, left all of my oil on the road, and seized the motor in my F150. I have already found another motor to swap and I'm nearly ready to pull the seized motor.

I've tried everything to turn the motor, in order to access the torque converter nuts, but it's a no go. She's stuck tight. So, I backed the tranny away from the motor about 3/4 of an inch, to see if I could get to the nuts through the gap, without the TC coming off of the splines. So far... I got one nut off, but number 2 nut is starting to round off the head because I can only get a box end on it... no room for a socket. So, I've accepted that I will have to pull the tranny leaving the TC bolted to the flex plate. I've read many places that this can damage either the TC and\or the tranny if they don't separate in a straight line.

So, my real question is, what is this action likely to damage (is it the tranny, TC or both?) and how do I tell if damage has occurred prior to reassembly? I've done a number of motor swaps but never had to deal with this. Usually the tranny is a 'black box' for me, but it seems I'm going to have learn some more about it this time.

Thanks for any advice, wisdom or witty sarcasm.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The damage would most likely be to the pump.

Can you tilt the engine enough to slide the transmission out?

Old 07-21-2016, 08:55 AM
@Darrin
If you mean, can I get them out together, the answer is no. This is a 5.4 DOHC from a Navigator stuffed into an F150. It barely comes out as it is.

By 'pump' do you mean the pump \ vanes inside the TC or the pump (offset gear) in the tranny? That's where I've been confused... again tranny stuff not my strongsuit.

Last edited by seware; 07-21-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It could damage the pump in the transmission. You should replace the torque converter either way.

I will try to be more clear.

Can you tilt the engine enough to slide the transmission back and off of it to remove the transmission? Meaning get everything out of the way to drop the rear of the transmission down and tilt the engine. IF so then make sure you also support the front of the engine or it's going to straighten itself out as you are removing the transmission and cause what you are trying to avoid.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:31 AM
Thanks Darrin for your patience... There are no issues sliding the tranny back... I already have the engine supported and the tranny is on a jack. Rear tranny mount is removed and transfer case pulled off (to lighten the load). Should come straight back pretty easily.

If I come straight back, is the tranny pump going to survive? What is likely to be damaged... just the seals or the whole unit? I did some research on the tranny pump and it doesn't look all that difficult to replace, either just the seals or as a unit. Maybe I just do that anyway... but I hate taking the time to do it if it isn't needed. Thoughts?

Out of curiousity, why should I replace the TC anyway?

Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: Seized motor - swap in progress - tranny question