04 5.4l Screw tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 5.4l Screw tranny issues

Hey All,

Been a while since I have posted. Truck has been good to me over the years. 123,000 miles on it now.
I've been living with the loud cam phasers. They seem to be getting louder but the truck is running great at this point. The real issue is the tranny. Takes several seconds for reverse to engage, shifting seams to be harder and the down shift is down right severe when hitting the throttle. Truck has 123,000 miles on it now. I get what appears to be a possible tourqe converter shudder at around 50mph. The real question is this. Would you guys just get a re-man or go the rebuild direction?

Thanks,

Last edited by 04blackscrew; 05-23-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Might as well add... Tranny fluid and filter has been changed and documented 3 times since I bought the truck. Last change was last summer of 2015. When the reverse started to happen this spring I checked the fluid, level good, nice clean red color and no burnt odor. I have had mechanics say do a reman and not just rebuild. I have a mechanic that will have his tranny guy do a full rebuild with oem tranny rebuild kit... What would you guys do?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Ok, just talked to Drum Hill Ford. He says there is not "kit" for these tranny's from ford. They buy what they need and replace from there for the rebuilds. I see a reputable tranny guy tomorrow. Free diaganosis. Let you know what he says...

Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 PM
I just put my second transmission in my 06 screw. The first one was a "reman" put in by the dealership just under warranty at 59k miles. I'm at 129k miles now and somehow, something broke inside the transmission. Took it to a reputable transmission shop owned by a friend and they did the rebuild for $2500. Runs like a top.

I have the cam phaser issue too. Loud rattle on cold start. Slight ticking sound when running. I got 3 opinions that said it's not worth digging into. By the time I'm done, I could have bought a new aftermarket motor. They all said to run it until it doesn't run anymore.

Meh. Never buying a Ford again.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Loud rattle on cold start.
That could be an oil filter with a bad anti-drainback valve, Fram is famous for this issue. You should be using a Motorcraft filter for best results.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
And I'm betting the "torque converter shudder" isn't that. I bet that's a misfire.

I would check out all sorts of things like the TPS voltage and normal wear and tune up items. Slow reverse engagement is a very common concern and something I address in the valve body on every kit and transmission I do.

D

Quick Reply: 04 5.4l Screw tranny issues