trans line thermo bypass valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans line thermo bypass valve

The other day I was driving home from work and my trans temps started to spike in the 220-230 area. I made it home and used IR thermometer check the pan temp, it was high also. I felt the coolant lines going into the radiator and remote trans cooler, they were both cold. Then I felt the trans coolers lines that come right off the trans and they were hot, but after the thermo bypass valve they went cold again. So basically I figured out what is causing my stoppage in the system. I replaced the valve and flushed out the lines with a can of trans flush and compressed air to make sure there wasn’t a blockage in the system further down, as was well.

After getting it all back together and fluids topped off I took it for an extensive road trip, it seemed to be working alright, temps were sticking in the 160-170 range a little higher then I usually run. I did feel the lines throughout the system and they were pretty warm so I felt confident that the system is working well now. Well I guess I was wrong because this morning I took the truck to work thinking as is well, my temps spiked to about 200F by the time I got to work, after I parked I popped the hood and checked the cooler lines, they were cold.

I would like to know if there may be something I’m overlooking or I received a bad valve. I need to take my truck on a 3 hour trip tomorrow and I was thinking about taking apart the old valve and plugging up the bypass port so I know for sure that fluid is being ported throughout the system.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a gent who goes by Mark Kovalsky who is a retired Ford tranny engineer...very knowledable...do a search and I'm sure he can give you good, solid guidance.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
You might have enough junk in the trans fluid to keep sticking the valve. You could block the valve in the non-bypass direction. The valve is there to warm the trans faster, which improves fuel economy.

Quick Reply: trans line thermo bypass valve