transmission but not sure

Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission but not sure

so I have a 2002 f150 5.4 and on a 1.5 hr drive my truck did not know what gear it wanted to be in. when I was on the highway causing locked into about 64 Mph there was no problem however during deceleration it felt like it was grabbing and then letting go and then doing it again. I had it towed to the dealership I bought it from. I bought it with 130,000 on the truck and the torque convertex wasn't unlocking all the way at stops and destroyed the transmission. The dealership said it is the rear differential however to me this doesn't really make sense. any thoughts my friends

Old 03-31-2016, 07:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
From the description and being on a computer and not with the truck to get a good idea of what is really happening, it's pretty much impossible to say. There are many things that could cause it and many things that disguise themselves as a transmission issue that are not.

But, if the transmission went out before because the torque converter wasn't unlocking, this could be that again. Not sure if it is or why. It's just that with so little and so vague info, it's hard to even hazard a guess.

D

Old 04-01-2016, 01:46 AM
Yeah the dealership had it and we'll the guy that put the transmission in the first time got fired. they said it was the rear differential but it didn't sound right. now I have a used transmission in there and new differential fluid for free

Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 AM
I had a 2003 2WD with the limited slip, it went bad and acted like what you are describing. I started by having the fluid changed and that worked for a short period. Finally had the dealer replace the limited slip and it was cured. The truck was out of warrantee but the dealer split the cost because they agreed that it should not have happened.

There are a few things in a drive train that can cause what you are describing that I thought this might be helpful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission but not sure