Lost reverse, 2nd, OD

Old 02-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost reverse, 2nd, OD

Props to the following threads for helping me with this...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...roke-pics.html

and

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...o-reverse.html

My 2004, 5.4, 4x4 Expedition lost reverse backing out of a parking lot, with a fairly loud thud/bang; after which I lost reverse, 2nd and OD/4th. No difference with OD turned on or off.

At first glance it's either major damage to a band/sun gear shell OR a $2 snap ring fail. However, I don't think, from my research a failed snap ring or low/reverse band could cause the symptoms I encountered. Trying to decide if a weekend spent bathing in tranny fluid, removing the valve body in hopes of a snap ring repair AND not losing any bolts, check *****, etc., is worth the effort.....OR just get off my wallet, sell a kidney and buy a tranny rebuild (the otherwise flawless car has 150K mi on it).

Love this forum...it has helped immensely since my first Ford truck purchase in 91.... Is there anyone wiser than me (that's easy) who would recommend investing the effort into the DIY snap ring adventure/repair or just get out my wallet/kidney and head to the professionals?

Thanks in advance for responding. Erik.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The reverse sun shell gear has liberated itself from the sun shell. This is actually a common problem. The weld breaks and lets the gear spin freely. When this happens you lose exactly those gears because the reverse sun gear cant do what it needs to do against the long pinions in the planetary gearset.

No choice but to pull it for a rebuild as this problem is totally interrnal.

If you need any help let me know.

D

Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys.....you saved me from an unnecessary tranny fluid bath. Moving on to a rebuilt tranny.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost reverse, 2nd, OD