2012 F150 Transfer Case Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F150 Transfer Case Noise

Hey Everyone! I've been experiencing problems with what seems to be the transfer case here of recent. Basically, when the truck is in 4x4 and the front tires are pulling, I will get a squealing, slipping, grinding noise from underneath the truck which seems to be coming from the transfer case. It's difficult to explain because it doesn't happen all the time - if I'm in dry grass or dirt where the truck can get plenty of traction, it doesn't do it as much. If I am in snow, ice, mud where the truck breaks traction, it makes the noise more often. Noise sounds horrible and is accompanied with what feels like the 4x4 slipping. I'm hoping someone else has had this problem or know where to begin looking. I've posted a video below I took that highlights the symptoms/sounds fairly well below. In this video the truck is in 4H and is simple spinning its tires on a hill in D. The truck is a 2012 F150 Lariat EcoBoost 4x4. It has the automatic 4wd option if that helps in diagnosing. Thanks for any help!

Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjsand33
Hey Everyone! I've been experiencing problems with what seems to be the transfer case here of recent. Basically, when the truck is in 4x4 and the front tires are pulling, I will get a squealing, slipping, grinding noise from underneath the truck which seems to be coming from the transfer case. It's difficult to explain because it doesn't happen all the time - if I'm in dry grass or dirt where the truck can get plenty of traction, it doesn't do it as much. If I am in snow, ice, mud where the truck breaks traction, it makes the noise more often...
Hi tjsand33,

I'd bring this behavior to the attention of your local Ford Dealership; be sure to mention the circumstances under which it normally occurs so they'll have a better chance of replicating it. How many miles are on your rig?

Crystal

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 Transfer Case Noise